Reserve Items

It would be extremely helpful if we could reserve items for buyers. I've had a few instances lately where to avoid the items being purchased by another buyer, I have kept the pieces aside and had to request payment via PayPal separately. Where the items are not of high value, the PayPal fees do not make it worthwhile.

It would be much easier if the reserved items could be ordered alongside a buyers existing order. Recently I've had a buyer order something else unwanted to the cart to make up the price of the reserved items to be able to pay for them. Surely this isn't best practice?

What do other sellers do in this instance?

Comments

• 55 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It isn't ideal but you could always mark the 'reserved' items as not for sale, and ask the buyer to let you know when he wants to proceed so you can either make them available again, or otherwise make one available so you can increase the cost of that item to cover the cost of all the items they have reserved.
  • Could you give some insight into the reasonings behind why you would reserve an item, rather than the customer just purchasing the item?
  • Latest example was the buyer asked if I could get anymore of a particular part that they were already ordering. Once I'd received the extra parts, I needed to add them to the store so the buyer could checkout. I would rather not do this as in the meantime, they could get purchased by another buyer. It's also time-consuming and difficult to negotiate a mutually agreeable time to add to the store at the same time the buyer is ready to checkout.

I have also had many instances where I have sourced additional pieces for buyers and they have paid separately by PayPal for them. I'm taking a double whammy on the PayPal fees then.

Makes sense to me to just be able to reserve for a particular buyer.
  • Okay, understood. In the meantime it may be a better idea to just add them to the store, then the order merging cost can cover the paypal fee, and you won't be bypassing Brick Owl commission which is somewhat unsavoury to say the least.
  • Hence the request to reserve items so I can still go through Brick Owl. It was a former response by you to a previous post a while ago where I discovered the request for payment in PayPal.

However, I would want to avoid this and also adding items to the store, waiting for the buyer to buy them. I wouldn't want to let buyers know I have the pieces and then have them sold in the meantime.
  • I quite often order from Em's Bits and Bobs and I am one of the annoying customers who often asks her to find rare, obscure or downright difficult to find bits. She has always found them for me and then my paying her for them through the shop has been difficult, not through any faults on her part. A reserve would be really helpful so that I can ask her to find bits for me and then when I am able ,I can pay her the correct amount. I can fully recommend Em's shop though, that lass can find anything. I am going to have to ask for bits that don't exist and even then I bet she can find them! Maybe she can start 3d printing them for me...
  • Jayne, my trucking friend - yes you do like to throw me a challenge or two :-)
  • I also wish the request quote took items from inventory at least until I respond with a quote, it's been frustrating to customers on more than one occasion - I quote within 12 hours. Customer goes to check out but can't because some parts were purchased by another customer.
  • @Graham
    That doesn't seem right, when a customer requests a quote and regardless wether you send it or not, it still allows the customer to check out on the remaining stuff if in the mean while something gets removed from cart. The only thing that might prevent the customer to check out is if the value drops beneath your storeminimum, but if not, the order would still go through.

Having blocked items during a quote request wouldn't be smart (for starters where would BO store such data ?), and you don't know who was the first to put it in cart, maybe the buyer who checked out had it in cart for weeks, so how would he/she feel when checking out that part of the cart he/she builded is not available because someone else is expecting a quote request on it.

The first one who actually checks out always has priority, and it's like that in any branch...
  • I join the crowd asking for functionality to somehow reserve items for a customer.

A customer asked for specific parts, which I can take out of my personal collection to sell (as a favor really). But if I put them for sale while he completes his order, it's quite possible someone may grab them first: these parts have a very high demand/supply ratio.

And if I just ask to send something extra by Paypal, BrickOwl doesn't get its 2.5% commission.

There are several potential solutions, any would work fine.
  • I'm raising this issue again. I'm in another situation where I am trying to agree a mutual time to be online so I can add parts I have specifically sourced for a buyer. Having to enter into numerous discussions with buyers regarding this isn't professional in my opinion.
  • I agress this would be good, I had a few instances where people have requested parts for a large build, some parts in stock and some I needed or source. I removed the parts out of stock and kept them aside so they could not be bought through BrickOwl by other customers. As mentioned though, I dont tend to relist them and sell through Brickowl after this.

Probably 3 occasions of this in over 1000 orders though.
  • Lawrence. I do appreciate your extremely busy but if you can respond if this is likely to happen and if it's nearer to the top of your to-do list?
  • I don't currently intend to make item reserving functionality in the near future.
  • edited June 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Lawrence
    How about custom lot's for such purpose?
    That way a seller could discuss things with a buyer, then create 1 lot with everything in it for a certain amount, not likely someone else would buy it, as there wouldn't be a description, or the description could be : Custom lot for buyer 'xyz'.
  • Custom lots is unlikely to be something I would implement, the system is set up for lots being linked to items.
  • I am not sure what the difference between a "custom lot" and an item is but that would be awesome if we could allow stores to create items only visible in their store (with some guideline). We could then create an inventory for that item to solve above problem and much more
  • I'm resurrecting an old thread...

Once again, I don't want to risk can't-be-reserved items being sold to someone else than the intended customer, but I also don't want to rob BrickOwl of its well-earned 2.5% fees either.

So, this time, I'll just manually send about 10 GBP to BrickOwl's paypal after concluding the extra sale.

That's hardly an ideal solution, but eh, still probably the best for everyone involved.
  • I've resorted to taking them out of stock and then adding them back in when the buyer is ready to go through checkout or I've sourced the parts they need. Not professional in my opinion, time consuming and unnecessary emails back and forth :-(
  • You could set up a coupon for yourself with 100% off and free shipping with multiple uses.
    Then if a customer wants you to hold items for them they send a quote. You add those items to your basket and place the order.
    Then wait until customer is ready to order and return all items back to stock at a click of a button ready for them to buy.
    Hope that makes sense.
  • edited December 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down

Then wait until customer is ready to order ...
    Well, I must say that part sounds inconvenient, and probably annoying for the customer!

I'll just calculate the 2.5% on the side, it's much easier for everyone. :)

• I'll just calculate the 2.5% on the side, it's much easier for everyone. :)
    No it ain't...
    Let's assume I'm in your position, a buyer requests to look out for some extra stuff, I find the time to actually do so, but 'nothing' in the BO system allows me to 'reserve' such for a buyer, no custom lot option, no 'reserved' function, OK, I could settle for a straight fund to BO to cover fees, but on the other hand, I have tons of catalog points, I regulary redeem them for 'free fees' (heck, I could run like 3.5 years on free fees on unredeemed points by now :-D ), so quite disturbing, as 1. I don't wanna deal 'outside' the website, but 2. I'm 'regulary' not paying fees anyway, so what would prevent me from doing so ?? Honesty I suppose, as I still would like these things 'logged' on the site, not particulary for myself (because it wouldn't matter), but for the sake of my buyer, because that would be my number 1 concern in providing 'service': that the buyer actually sees in his order overview, what he/she actually paid for (condition, subcondition, quality, quantity)
    Both the 'reserved' function and 'custom lot' has 'worked' for over a decade on BL (just bought 2 reserved custom lots there this week, after discussing them with sellers) and I consider them 'great' features on BL... Honest, open, justified, correct and liberated, no hiding, no masks, no cheats, no work arounds...
    BO shouldn't be a carboncopy of BL, certainly not, but IMHO it isn't, it has much more to offer, but it also fails on some great 'approved' features, compared to it IMO...
  • I personally see no need to have a reserve items function. You could ask any buyer who contacts you to reserve items to add them to a cart and then check-out with a non-automatic payment method like Bank Transfer. This removes the items from your inventory, allows the buyer to add to the cart at any time using the Order Combining feature, and doesn't preclude them from paying by PayPal at some point in the future. If the buyer changes their mind it's easy for the seller to return the items to stock using the Refund feature.
  • @Hoddie In the meantime I unwittingly swoop in to your store, see those items and purchase them. Or am I misunderstanding your scenario?
  • @Hoddie
    Explain that further Paul: would you checkout in your own store, then relist for the buyer (twice the work) or ask the buyer to check out on them, assuming the buyer is in the same timezone you are, (so during that time things are 'purchasable' by anyone). Still, buyer checks out with a generic payment type, then places another order (who is the first one going to be paid), or had a order to start with, and so the combining fee applies... not very conveniant... And the refund feature doesn't work for sellers who use bricksync *and* BLmaster on top, as the main inventory is BL, being the master, so a canceled/refunded/items returned to stock implicates a manual adjustement of the 'master' inventory, so on large lot quantities, that would be a big No Thanks for me.
  • Not sure what's to explain :)

Buyer reserves items by placing an order with a non-immediate payment method (bank transfer). From BO's point of view the order is binding and the items are removed from your store. The buyer can add to the order using the Order Combining Feature - by again placing a new order with the same payment method and choosing to combine orders, and can pay when ready. The buyer gets to reserve stock, BO gets its commission and everyone's a winner.

It isn't perfect but as a seller I don't want to have to offer a feature where customers can reserve stock unless they contact me first - and if someone did I would ask them to do what I outline above.

Regards issue with third-party apps, that's the third-party app's problem and I'm sure one they could resolve. BO doesn't need to make it easy for a seller to sell across multiple platforms, nobody expects BL or Ebay to do the same.
  • @Hoddie
    I think you are missing the core of the problem here.

Current scenario: I have a stack of Gingerbread Houses (40139) I want to sell to a specific customer. If I list them online, people will start picking from the stack, and pretty fast. I do not want that to happen.

I can't put them in inventory and wait for the intended customer to "reserve" them!
  • If you already have a buyer, why would you want to put them on brickowl in the first place, what protection does such a transaction offer that a direct one does not?
  • If you already have a buyer, why would you want to put them on brickowl in the first place
    Simply because the transaction started on BrickOwl; the costumer placed an order and we agreed to a higher quantity of the same item in a few days, shipping them all at once.

It's the same situation when extra unlisted items are to be sold as part of a special request or deal: you really don't want to let anyone else than the intended customer grab them.

This is what a lot reservation feature would be useful for.
    Okay I can see how it would be helpful in that instance. Perhaps an easy way to solve this would be to introduce a single custom item to the catalog that you could make available at the right price for the buyer you've agreed a deal with.

One custom item in the catalog that every seller could list as being available in their store at a price of their choosing. For example, you could list 10,000 at 1p each, telling your customer to add 2399 to their cart if you agreed a price of £23.99, or alternatively simply adjust the price to £23.99 and ask them to add one to the cart. The item name would be something like "Custom Deal (add to cart only if instructed)".

Again, not perfect, but it solves the problem you've outlined without requiring massive changes to the BO system. Given the number of sellers who would make use of a reserved items feature, this might be a simple but effective compromise.
  • Regarding scenarios that involve order combining, I have a small charge when a buyer combines order so in the examples listed above I think its unfair that the buyer is financially worse off because they've had to combine an order rather than being able to reserve.

Lawrence has already said he isnt planning on making it a feature so I need to come up with a simple way to help buyers. I currently have two buyers I am sourcing parts for, I have built relationships with them so emailing when parts are available and asking them to let me know when they are ready to checkout is ok for them but obviously not the best way forward.
  • @Hoddie while still a workaround that probably has the most merit. BOID 999999?
  • You can adjust the cost using the refund function to account for any inadvertent order combining fees. In my example above, they'd only be checking out to reserve the items, the actual price they end up paying can be less than they checkout with.
  • @Hoddie That would work for me, sure. Even though it's not very elegant, that solution is reasonably convenient for the customer. We would just need some kind of "Special deal" catalog item.

And well, calculating the 2.5% on the side isn't too bad either, for sellers with Loyal good on their character sheet. O:-) (that's a geeky Dungeons & Dragons reference)
  • It just needs someone to persuade Admin to add a custom item...
  • I'm afraid even though you've come up with some inventive workarounds, I actually started implementing this yesterday. I intended to finish it yesterday but had to stop due to paint fumes which was new to me. Should be done today.
  • Hahah nice one. Hope it's an opt-in feature :)

@Stragus, missed the D&D reference but I'm old school D&D when you had to be either Lawful, Neutral or Chaotic. None of this Chaotic Good nonsense :)
  • @Hoddie what do you mean by opt-in?
  • I'd rather not allow buyers to be able to reserve items without at least allowing them to do so.
  • Oh, yes, understood, I'm implementing a store's ability to reserve items for specific customers, as opposed to a customer's ability to reserve items.
    Now that's a nice early X-mas present :-)
    Does this show somewhere for the potential customer like with a link, or does the particular lot(s) just show in the regular store and visible only to that customer?
  • That's a nice surprise, thanks Lawrence! I wasn't expecting that.

@Hoddie Old school D&D indeed! Everyone knows a person's entire set of moral judgement and ethical values is fundamentally a two-dimensional problem. :D
  • Classic under promise & over deliver :D
  • Merry Christmas from Lawrence.
  • Awesome this will be very handy !
    My friend Stefaan (elias3) reserved a lot for me (in a few minutes I'll do the same for him). So this is how it looks when I enter his store: it shows on top

So when clicking the item, I'm being brought to the entry, again the system shows me something is reserved under that entry:

I scroll down to see full page

And there's the catch: I cannot see 'which' lot is actually the one that is reserved for me, he has several of the same lot and they are *all* showing, and the lot 'on top' is being selected as primary lot. So I logged of and went to his store, after comparing the information there I figured out he listed the quantity of 15 for me (so the used ones, and not the lot of 'new' ones that got preselected by the site) and the other lot's are his regular lot's. The workarround at this point: I've asked him to add my user name in the public comment of the lot (soon he does I'll make a new screenshot).
    Obviously in such case, the lot that has been reserved should be the one that gets selected when going to the entry (@Lawrence: can you figure out a way to do that), in best case the other lot's shouldn't even show (allthough it remains handy as price comparison, and offers the buyer the option to buy even more), but at least there should be a clear indication which lot is reserved for the buyer.

Tip for people who use Bricksync: don't forget to tag the item in the remarks field with the ~sign, otherwise your next sync (particulary when using blmaster mode) might/will simply destroy the lot again ;-)
  • Okay, that's now been improved so it has a reserved tag on the lot
  • thanks Lawrence, it's works now with the 'reserved' tag ;)
  • Once small issue I've noticed when testing this reserved lot feature - when removing the customer's name from the advanced inventory listing, it also removed the item from sale. This might be intended but caught me by surprise.
  • Yeah, it's a side-effect, when reserving an item, it also marks it as not for sale, I don't revert this when you unreserve it, in case you want it to be not for sale.
This discussion has been closed.