Forum *new* tags are completely messed up

Lawrence, new tags are changing as I read other messages. I read the Apology thread and suddenly the sticky'd Site Updates lost its new tag. If I want to make sure I read all the new messages, I need to take a screenshot as soon as I log in, then start clicking messages. Otherwise the new tags on all posts randomly disappear as I work through the forum.

This doesn't include the posts that are obviously new but don't carry the new tag.

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Don't the non-new posts have a shaded background for you?
  • Yes, the old way the forum was set up made sense. Maybe I will eventually figure out this new way. But it is not intuitive, and should be because there will always be new users using the forum.
  • Yes, the old way the forum was set up made sense. Maybe I will eventually figure out this new way.
    Could you elaborate on what's changed?

• Most of it has already been stated. What catches me the most is lack of new tags on --new posts, new replies to posts I've read, etc. Yet some posts get new tags, and so it throws me off looking for ones I might have missed.

Also, the boldness of titles and background color just appears different somehow. Things in general don't seem to stand out as much regardless of the new tags being present or missing.

Some of it is just hard to put my finger on exactly.

Thanks,
    Katie
  • When I logged into the forum just now, this post did not have a new tag on it despite there being 4 replies. In the past, the *new* tag showed up when there were replies to a post.

Sometimes posts are bolded, sometimes they are bolded with a new tag, sometimes they even change when I hit F5.

@Lawrence please also see http://forum.brickowl.com/discussion/3047/new-forum-look#latest where I have been posting more about it. But it could be with the way the forum is parsing posts that you may not have been alerted to me posting there.
  • Is this how other folks forum views look on first glance? Note how the new tags are spread out, as well as the top post NOT having a new tag but still being bolded.
  • That is very similar to what I had this morning when opening up the forums. Odd indeed.
    Chris
  • I believe that is behaving as intended. The new tag only appears on threads with new posts since you last visited that thread. If you have never visited the thread, it won't appear.
  • Threads that I have read before are surrounded by the "new" tag. I have ready every single thread on BO as they have come up over the year. What DagsBricks sees is what I see. Threads I have read with new posts are before and after threads with nothing new.

The new ones should always be on the top and the ones with no recent posts should be below that getting pushed down by new ones. At least that's how every other forum usually is. Please correct me if I am wrong in my thinking.

Chris
  • Recent discussions is sorted by date of most recent post.
  • Personally is don't have the slighest issue with the new forum look and tags.
    Existing threads with a new message become white and get the tag 'new', they become gray once read.
    New threads are white without the 'new' and becomes gray once read.
    Everything is sorted by latest post.
  • I agree with Lawrence and RobErNat. The new tag appears in old threads when something new is posted. Threads with unread messages are in bold with white background whether they are new or old threads.
  • IIRC, even brand new unread threads used to get the new tag, no?
  • IIRC, even brand new unread threads used to get the new tag, no?
    Yes, it is easy to miss the brand new threads now.

• Here is a picture that might help with the issue of the "new tags" that are all over.
  • Oh, by old I mean that you have clicked on previously.
  • the picture shows the "new" is overlapping.