Brickstone Is Open Source So Is It Possible...

I been in web development for over 8 years now but know little about desktop apps so had a general question.

I'm assuming brickstore works from using BLs API. Since this program is open source is it not possible to just change the API to brickowl?

Comments

• 58 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't think that BL had an API... more than it obtains info from parsing the site.

But I have no idea.
  • Correct. BL as we know it has no API whatsoever. BrickStore works off of screen scraping. Gotta be a labor of love to go through all that. I did it once in Python to make a simple part out value tool. Not easy.

Brian
  • Indeed, I have done the same for doing an auto-checkout program.

Easy, for a couple of data, but for a hundred...
  • How times have changed lol.
  • BL now has an API in development. They're looking for testers actually.

http://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=782146
  • They really need to work on that site lol. The geocity theme just isnt working anymore. Im not even on the site anymore since i cant upload my inventory. Max import size is 204800 bytes!. Means id have to take my 30k+ line XML and break it up and upload it over 600 times.
  • Believe it or not, the BL API actually works. They still need to add a little more, but it works. We're in the process of moving some of our stuff from screen scrape to API. We've also talked to a guy who took the Brickstore code and updated it to work on Mac (renamed to BrickStock) and he is working on migrating it to use the API as well.
  • Hello. I'm looking for someone who is still developing or maintaining BrickStore. I'd like to combine efforts to relive the project.
    Best regards
  • The original author of BrickStore is no longer around. I know of a couple people who have taken the open source and started to rewrite it, but those are as their own versions, not BrickStore.
  • Any live version of those programs? Would love to have one that works with brickowl.
  • I'm a software programmer and I would be willing to contribute to any serious project to update BrickStore (including BrickOwl support).

I already dug quite a bit into the source code, but we would first need a programmer well versed in the QT library. BrickStore was written using QT3/QSA (which are absolutely obsolete), and I had great pains to update it to the QT5 API. Having someone who already does QT would help immensely (my job is doing heavy physics simulations, not GUI stuff :p).

Do we have other programmers with time to spare?
  • Well like i said i just do web programming. Would love to design a UI though lol.
  • As for page scrapers, it's really not that hard to write one. Basically, it's a parser/tokenizer like you would use with a compiler or interpreter, and there is plenty of example code floating around that you could start with. Hardest part of the whole process is to define the input stream, after that it's straightforward.
    Page scraping isn't necessary for a site with an API, but there are other possible applications- it wouldn't be hard to take in pricing data and analyze it any way you wanted to find trends, etc. (That's been discussed off and on for years on another site.)

I don't know how many people paid for BrickStore, but it probably made money for the author. People will pay for quality tools that serve a useful function. A new tool, especially one that works on multiple platforms and websites, certainly has potential to be a profitable so I hope somebody comes up with one.
  • edited February 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    According to this web page : http://www.freelancer.com/projects/CPlusPlus-Programming/Port-program-from-repost.html

Someone once paid an Indian programmer some $200 to update BrickStore from QT3 to QT5, but they didn't share the source code update. Do we have any volunteer to pay this same Indian programmer (maybe just half the amount), to share with us his update to QT5? After all, the work has already been done.

We could then easily pick up the project from there.
  • says project deleted to me lol.
  • Wow, EricHamby, you are right. The person who had paid to have BrickStore ported to QT5 deleted the post? Just after reading my post here, could it be?

We can find it again here : http://web.archive.org/web/20130416065953/http://www.freelancer.com/projects/CPlusPlus-Programming/Port-program-from-repost.html

Weird...
  • I can see who paid for the update, he's an active seller on both BrickLink and BrickOwl. I assume he'll be reading this thread again.

It's obvious he has no desire for an updated open-source BrickStore. He can't release an update without the source code (due to the GPL license), so it must have been for personal use.
  • To use opensource software, update it and not let anyone else have it... wow.. thats low lol.
  • BL just released their new API so I think Brickstore's days are seriously numbered.
  • I dont understand why they need a API if they complain every time someone uses their information.
  • I'm wondering how that's going to work...
  • I just wish I knew how to use API. Everyone seems to swear by it and I am sitting in the corner twittering my thumbs. ;)
  • Well. for me being a web designer and having a small datacenter in las vegas i use WHMCS for all my accounting. A API would be nice so i could run BL and BO through my WHMCS to keep up with all my sales and accounting in one place. Given the API allows this.
  • @Plastic-Paradise For those of us who are non-developers, it's exciting because it opens up more possibilities for tools to help manage our shops.

On another note... I seriously need to take some coding classes.
  • Learning a programming language is like learning any other language, you can mostly do it on your own. For anybody starting out, I'd recommend finding and downloading a free version of Pascal. It's a language specifically designed to teach programming, but also is quite useful for a lot of applications. Once you understand beginning Pascal, transitioning to modern languages like Java or C++ is much, much simpler. It's like learning Latin, then being able to pick up Spanish or Italian quickly. People will scoff at the idea of learning Pascal, but it's my expert opinion that it's a great choice.

... an API simply lets developers write apps that work with the site. It's a way to outsource development and not pay for it. There's a HUGE amount of fine print that goes with the API on that one site, and basically you aren't allowed to use it in any way they don't like. You can use it to improve the way their customers use their site, and that's about it. Any use to get around their limits and restrictions is forbidden.
  • I'd be happy just if someone could recompile the source for OS X Mavericks...
    Any volunteer at the room? [-O<
    Thanks
  • I actually did some Pascal programming in high school.

so... long... ago...

I think I would pick it up pretty quickly. I've managed to stumble my way through some php and Visual Studio customizations without really knowing the languages.

One thing I can't see myself doing is programming for Macs. Sheesh, what a waste of market share. ;)
  • I've managed to stumble my way through some php and Visual Studio customizations without really knowing the languages.
    Several times I've edited things without knowing what the language is, I then have to try to work it out as its difficult to google for help when you have no idea what the language is. I'm still not sure if our server setup scripts are in Ruby or not.
  • Damn I never new there were SO many Brainiacs "into" LEGO - I feel like a right old fart now :O

Unless sales slump here I have no need for both venues - however what I would find really handy, is a local copy of my inventory so I could work on it adding and sorting stuff - then "replicate" (Wife does it all the time with Big Blue) so that upon replication any orders received are deducted from local copy and added qty/amended updates server copy.

The local copy facilitating more extensive search and changes like finding parts that haven't sold in x number of days etc...

Any possibilities there?
  • @graham This is what I'm looking for also. I'm not the only one that does my inventory and i like having a program to do it offline so any mistakes or errors can be worked out before going live. Plus i like updating my inventory here in batches rather than pieces at a time.

Its always nice working all day on inventory in Brickstore then uploading to here all in one go. Brickstore is just... well its outdated no other way of putting it. Need something dedicated to here. I wouldn't mind throwing some money at it to get it.

Also like you say seeing some stats in a program is nice. Brickstore shows total inventory weight which is awesome to me. Very nice for figuring the shipping of custom or bulk orders.
  • There are reports of Brickstore's update database feature no longer working. Not sure if this is due to something breaking on BL or a permanently disabled feature. Using it may be seriously hampered from here on out.
    There are reports of Brickstore's update database feature no longer working. Not sure if this is due to something breaking on BL or a permanently disabled feature. Using it may be seriously hampered from here on out.
    Deliberately broken by BL - with introduction of BL API - they want to go it alone with no competition - sounds like an antitrust law suit in the making…

It would just take a disgruntled buyer/customer and a legal predator …

Don't update data base if you want to use BS should be fine for pre 02/14 sets - then switch to BO upload for post sets…

OK one of you tech savy "guru's" could make some dosh creating a BS style app that works with BrickOwl - I would be glad to buy/subscribe.

This place is growing = a good investment!
  • I agree id put a bit of money into it also.
  • There are reports of Brickstore's update database feature no longer working. Not sure if this is due to something breaking on BL or a permanently disabled feature. Using it may be seriously hampered from here on out.
    Deliberately broken by BL - with introduction of BL API - they want to go it alone with no competition - sounds like an antitrust law suit in the making…
    The catalog is downloaded from brickforge.de and I assume this has nothing to do with the introduction of the API. But I would suggest not to update the database.

Gerrit

• I would be willing to pay for some software like Brick Store I want an easier way to have my inventory on two sites and iron out all the syncing issues!
  • The catalog is downloaded from brickforge.de and I assume this has nothing to do with the introduction of the API. But I would suggest not to update the database.

Gerrit

Yep, I rescind my earlier comments. Appears to be brickforge.de related. No really, visit the site. Here's what you get:

Gone

The requested resource
    /
    is no longer available on this server and there is no forwarding address. Please remove all references to this resource.

Somehow it just... disappeared?

• Yep, I rescind my earlier comments. Appears to be brickforge.de related. No really, visit the site. Here's what you get:

Gone

The requested resource
    /
    is no longer available on this server and there is no forwarding address. Please remove all references to this resource.

Somehow it just... disappeared?
    It was most likely intentionally deleted:

410 Gone
    Indicates that the resource requested is no longer available and will not be available again.[2] This should be used when a resource has been intentionally removed and the resource should be purged. Upon receiving a 410 status code, the client should not request the resource again in the future. Clients such as search engines should remove the resource from their indices. [citation needed] Most use cases do not require clients and search engines to purge the resource, and a "404 Not Found" may be used instead."
  • Does anyone know if there is any other similar programs that will work between BrickLink and Brick Owl? This seriously hampers things. Using web interface for uploading lots of inventory is just to slow and you don't get as much done.

PP
  • Damn I never new there were SO many Brainiacs "into" LEGO
    It happens the other way around- LEGO teaches modular construction and leads directly to building and programming computers. Mindstorms was as obvious a product as anything could be. Virtually all computer engineers played with LEGO or Meccano or both as a child.

Modifying the BrickStore program might be easy-ish. Comment out everything that doesn't compile, then go through it in sections replacing library functions with API calls or your own custom routines. Once you have the framework of the program stable, adding new routines could happen. And at that point, you'd be ready to write a fresh program from scratch using what you'd learned from tuning up BrickStore. Doing it like that might be easier than starting with a blank page.
    Does anyone know if there is any other similar programs that will work between BrickLink and Brick Owl?
    PP
    Not if the World Class Team has anything to say about it. :(
  • To use opensource software, update it and not let anyone else have it... wow.. thats low lol.
    Terrible, I'm as surprised as you are! Some sellers appear willing to pay for software, but I think open-source is the way to go as a community. Donations could keep the programmer(s) motivated.

If we can't find anyone who does QT, I could try going through a QT crash course... Darn, I never cared about writing GUIs, and I still don't :).
  • Brickstore's update database feature seemed to work successfully for me this morning.

Brian
  • Yeah the brickforge website is back up and running this morning. Hopefully it stays up. ;)
  • Yeah the brickforge website is back up and running this morning. Hopefully it stays up. ;)
    In a way i was hoping it was down for good. Perhaps that would have forced some moving forward on an alternative. With everyone using BS it seems to not make anyone want to make anything else lol.
    In a way i was hoping it was down for good. Perhaps that would have forced some moving forward on an alternative. With everyone using BS it seems to not make anyone want to make anything else lol.
    No, there are some people making alternatives, more now with the API.
    No, there are some people making alternatives, more now with the API.
    People have been saying that for years, Even a post here with someone saying they are making one... yet to see anything released.
  • I think a lot of it has been waiting on the remote possibility of BL ever having an API. Well that day has come so I would believe that we will see half a dozen decent options within a few months and dozens of other terrible ones.
  • Be nice to have one based on BO though. Most of us have given up on BL already.
  • Yes but both sites having an API could make things a little easier all around for many more people.
    People have been saying that for years, Even a post here with someone saying they are making one... yet to see anything released.
    It's really a problem that several people are working on their own update, with no central repository where to merge all improvements.

The only one who shared source code was for a MacOSX "update". It was a quick hack really, it used classes specific to that platform, with no regard for portability...

I think we could use a little more cooperation within the community.