Shipping address different to PayPal address question

If the shipping address is different to the PayPal address, why does the site tell me to ensure I ship to the shipping address instead of the PayPal address? If I do not ship to the address on the PayPal payment, then there is no PayPal protection. Does this mean BO will be covering the protection? I'm thinking not.

Surely a better solution is to ensure the buyer changes the shipping address on the PayPal payment, that way both parties are protected.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Unfortunately there is not. I now cancel orders where the paypal address is not matching the shipping address for large orders from new members.
  • The warning message should be displayed to the customer, before customer goes to payment.

It really should be at the sellers discretion as to wether or not you are prepared to take the risk, I have a good customer in a country I don’t ship to, who uses a forwarding company. Not been a problem - yet.

I do include a message in shipping stating that I only ship to address provided by PayPal, a mismatch is very rare for me. However I would probably do as Colorado bricks do in a similar situation.

I imagine liability would lie with BrickOwl, but who would pursue that?
  • Forgot to add. One time I got the mismatch warning message. Customer had entered incorrect zip code on BrickOwl, it was correct on PayPal.
  • edited April 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @"Colorado Bricks" understable on 'large' orders (but please define a 'large' order - LOL)
    @vegitt
    In general, many sellers wanna stay 'safe', so most will play by Paypal's rules: tracking, delivery confirmation, etc, all forms of options, which generally costs more, and Paypal 'cashes in' as sellers pay fees on the extra costs involved...
    Be relaxed, in most cases orders arrive and buyers are honest, nothing to worry about ;-)
    In 10 years of selling LEGO online I shipped thousands of orders without tracking and even without proof of postage (worst case scenario with Paypal), I refunded 2 or 3 buyers, not even worth $100 I think. I really don't wanna 'slam' my buyers with high 'tracking' costs when there is no need to, just because there is a rotten apple once in a while and I really don't care about PP's 'requirements' just for the sake of being safe (but I agree with C.B. that 'larger' orders needs extra security in those regards). And I've never ever canceled an order based on a mismatch between a websites details and Paypal's details, there are tons of exceptions in which this may occur...
    Sure, one needs to remain 'vigilant', but there is no reason to be freaked out over it either :-)
  • I never said I was freaked out by it, just purely raising a question. Between here and BL I too have shipped thousands of orders and only had a couple of issues. The orders I have had with the discrepancy have been small and have not had issues. I was just surprised to see the message and wanted to start a discussion about it.
  • Not a PayPal story but stripe, which has far less protection. Buyers CC address was in Australia, the IP address at the time of purchase was in Canada, shipping address was to themselves at a hotel in Las Vegas Nevada. I shipped it to the address as listed on BO, needless to say at the end of this there must have been one very happy person with a large LEGO set that I assume they couldn't purchase in their own country.
  • The loss of seller protection is a bit of a myth. We have shipped 10's of thousands of orders, always to the order's shipping address and never had any problem. As long as the address is documented in the order, its enough for protection. The issue PayPal is calling out is a manual address change after the order/payment is submitted, where there is no record of the buyer's request to send it there. That's the only scenario that you need to be concerned about for loss of protection.

I'm not sure if BO does this, but on BL the "ship to" address the buyer inputs gets passed in the transaction to PayPal, so they have a record on their side of where the buyer wants it shipped to. We occasionally order from other stores to fix an inventory issue (drop ship) and we put the original buyer's name and address in the BL checkout and its later visible in PayPal. It shows up as "unconfirmed" but its still covered by seller protection.

The typical buyer on BO is less Lego-sophisticated since this site is easier to shop than BL. So you get more casual buyers that are more likely to want something shipped to their work address, or to a family member as a gift. So bottom line -- don't be concerned with shipping to the order address.