Add new bricks to the catalog

Hi,
I was wondering if someone could explain me how I could add a piece to the existing BrickOwl catalog.
Basically the piece I would like to add is a version of a lego Star Wars helmet but without the printing.
(This very piece is actually in the BrickLink catalog but doesn't exist on the BrickOwl one).
Looking forward to hearing a solution.
Have a good day.

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Thank you very much. I did not find that link. Have a good one!
  • Thanks for helping to improve the catalog for all of us, @LouisOswalt00! :-)
  • Can anyone explain how to add a new stickered brick to the catalogue when you don't know what set it came from? I have a few that I got in a bulk lot of bricks. No idea what sets they're from. The "Create Stickered Version" form unfortunately requires a set number. TIA.
  • Hi @ladyiolanthe
    The LEGO Stickers part of the catalogue has 48 pages of sticker sheets and most with photos. :) There may be occasion where the stickered part you now are able to identify as part of a specific set already exists in the catalogue but does not have a picture associated with it.
  • Hi @One_Click_Off Thanks; I'll look there but a lot of my pieces come from early 2000s sets I think. I've got one Iron Man sticker that I cannot find anywhere! But the sticker catalogue might help with some of the other stickered pieces I have.
  • Identifying stickers can sometimes be challenging... what I have done is start with the stickered part list as One_Click suggests... failing that, I start browsing the site using keywords to describe the sticker. Failing that, I actually start guessing what kind of set it's from, e.g., Friends yuo can sometimes guess, and look at actually set sticker images when invariably works for super-stubborn RARE stickered parts. :-)
  • You could see what sets contain that particular piece in that colour which may narrow down the options. Then a bit of guesswork based on the sticker - does it fit a certain genre more than others? Things with controls and levers and buttons are less likely to appear in some themes and more likely in others. Alternatively you could search BL for the part (e.g. '1x2 tile sticker') then filter by colour. If you find it there it will say what set it's from and you can cross reference here to if it exists in the BO database. If not you can add a catalog entry. I should also point out that despite BL having an older, and therefore more exhaustive, database, they don't necessarily have all stickered parts listed, so don't assume it doesn't exist if you can't find it!

Also, posting a photo of the part here on the forum can set some of us here a nice challenge!! You'll often get a speedy response
  • Oh yes, right on Jay, I do do that also, I had forgotten (starting with sets that have the piece in that color). SMH. ;-)
  • Thanks, everyone! I did find my Iron Man mystery sticker on BL. It's from the Iron Man 3 Malibu Mansion Attack set, 76007. :)
  • So glad to hear, @ladyiolanthe . We forgot to add, as @Jay37 did, that there are a great number of knowledgeable and kind readers who just love a "nice challenge". [New thread with pictures: Help me find this part]. And as @Calibrick suggests, just trying some key search words and a theme.
    It looks like from recent threads that stickered parts is the sticky wicket - There is always the "Good Viewing" to acquaint yourself with the Sticker part of BrickOwl catalogue, albeit the "bottom up" process (we actually set aside 15 stickered parts until we had time :p) .
    Then there's the "top down" as @Jay37 describes of looking at the part number...and in the color you have...and even if poorly described and with no photo- decreases the number of sets you have to search separately.
    And for other lateral searches: The catalogue can always use improvement in parts that have stickers by - adding a notable description in addition to the "from set xxxx", assuring that the base sticker color is noted, that any relevant features are described in the name. And of course a good photo for those that don't already have one.
    Okay, gonna be looking up your Malibu Mansion Attack set now...
  • Hee. I have been taking photos of my as-yet-uncatalogued stickered pieces and submitting them, yeah. Here is the Iron Man one from the Malibu Mansion Attack, since that seems to be of interest. :)
  • I am new to Brick Owl. I submitted a Catalog edit to add a custom minifig that I have created. There are several more that I need to add but am waiting for feedback on the first one before proceeding to make sure I've done it right. So my question is: How long does it usually take to get a response back from Brick Owl for a Catalog edit? Thanks.
  • @Lawrence will respond, but I'm not sure they will list custom minifigures here on BO... historically, the catalog has been exclusively LEGO-released (official) items only.

I've found that response time (which is PHENOM here! <s>) varies depending on how busy things are, but it's anywhere from same or next day for a simple item (such as an updated image, and the new image meets all the rules such as cropped and on a white background) to a week or even two (for big items that have to be independently researched and verified, such as submitting an older set's inventory - that can take awhile for obvious reasons). :-)
  • edited July 2020 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Calibrick thanks for answering my question about time to respond. As I mentioned, I am new here so trying to learn the ropes.

If I do a search on custom in the catalog there are 100+ entries including monochrome minifig. The help pages talk about custom minifig as well.
  • As far as I can see there are only monochrome minifigs found when doing a search on custom, not other minifigures (only some that have custom in their name).
    When you look further down on the help page it says "Then click the link to 'Create New Item' to the catalog, choose your item type from Set, Gear or Instruction"
    So it looks like custom minifig shouldn't be an option.

And I don't think it's something one would want. There are thousends of minifig parts, which can all be mixed so you could get countless custom minifigures to flood the catalog.
  • Did some looking, numbers are on the low side, not all color variations are counted.
    There are (at least)
    3069 heads
    4508 torsos
    1685 legs
    That means 2331206260 (23312 miljon) possible combinations, not all are possible, but still it's a lot.
  • @jrkny, I sit corrected - https://www.brickowl.com/help/custom-items definitely shows you can submit them for consideration!

And @BasKrie, that is some serious math there! ;-)
  • Thanks to all who responded. To clarify, I just had a custom minifig approved to be include in the catalog. In answer to the question I posed, it took about a week.
  • That's great news @jrkny, I am glad to have been wrong (shhh don't tell my husband, we don't want to kill my home LEGO cred...) ;-)