Issue report

I've just received my first issue report, and a related email that says:

"A new issue has been reported in your store. Please contact the customer about the order directly within 24 hours. Please do not reply directly to this e-mail."

I have two problems with this.

(1) The customer has not bothered to contact me directly, but I'm supposed to drop everything and make their issue right without knowing anything about it.

(2) The deadline of 24-hours is a nonsence. Especially on a weekend which could be 3- or 4-days long given certain holidays.

This has left me slightly annoyed with Brick Owl for the first ever time. Frankly, I expected better. I accept there needs to be a process to help disgruntled customers out but the customer must do their part too.

Customers should not be able to raise issues with BO unless and until they have themselves contacted the store. And the 24-hour period should be replaced with something more sensible. On this occasion I have contacted the customer on a weekend, but I make no promises that I will do so again in future should the same happen.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It happens some times. Most of the times customers are clueless as to how to tell you that they havent received your order. Just answer normally as if it were a normal message and try to not get annoyed, they probably don't know how "impating" it is for us to see that!
  • I received my one and only issue report to-date earlier this year - a customer had given me the wrong shipping address, and as an english word, to them that was an issue so it made sense to them to use that mechanism. I was assured by admin it was no big deal. Sometimes its simply interpretation of the meaning of that area and not a negative thing.

I do **fervently** agree that we should steer the customer to first attempting direct seller communication via BO before escalating to an issue - that would make a majority of the "issues" frankly go away and have happier buyers and sellers all around.

Perhaps a workflow change could be if a customer or seller attempts to enter an issue, the system first pops up a note asking something like:

"Have you contacted the other party via BO and:
    - Have not received a response within 48 hours; or
    - The response was inappropriate and/or violated the store's or BO's terms of service?

If yes, press X to continue.
    If you have not tried this first, please visit the order in question and click "Message Seller" on the top right. Thank you!"

This forces the submitter to validate they have tried to resolve at the lowest level first, which is a win-win for everyone. :-) You could take it a step further and require them to link to the message that has not received a response, etc., potentially, but I would bet the above would resolve a lot of this.

Just an idea??
  • Good suggestion @Calibrick

I also agree that a 24 hour response time is unrealistic, we're not all available 7 days a week.
  • Perhaps instead of X hours it's two work days (as those days vary country to country)? Something that accommodates holidays and weekends and is a realistic amount of time for a seller to reply and for a buyer to reasonably expect to hear back by.