Store security against cheaters.

Hello Everyone

I would like stores to protect themselves against the risk of fraud or extortion of money for a "non-received purchase". In my case, this happens from time to time, and each of these people works in the same way, these are accounts newly created without any feedbak or 1, These people are usually rude and threaten with a report, a report to PayPal, etc. Probably many of you have had such clients to deal with, so they would like to be able to easily secure us. Just enter the option of limiting the "minimum feedback" in the shipping option (optional and voluntary). It would work in a simple way, each of us could set in the shipping method - for example: in a standard shipment, without tracking - a minimum of "5 feedback". Such a person could, of course, do shopping, but only tracked shipping. It would be a simple and effective way to protect stores. As we know, there may be a mistake in the order or a delay in delivery, but with any normal customer you can easily solve any problem. But we will not do anything to fraud, it is impossible to communicate with such a person because he just wants a refund. If you agree with me, vote the suggestion.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • So what you're saying is you want other sellers to take all the associated risks - real and imagined - of dealing with new buyers, so that you can then swoop in once they've received 5 feedback and score some nice profit?

It doesn't work that way here, thankfully, and hopefully it never will. Everyone starts somewhere, everyone must place their first order before going on to be a valued customer for dozens of stores.

The risks of uninsured and untracked shipping have been discussed to death. If you don't want the risk of sending uninsured, untracked parcels, then don't. Invest in an insurance policy, or factor fraud and lost parcels into your pricing like most sellers do. Buy insurance yourself for those orders that look a little dodgy. And remember, neither postal insurance or tracking will protect you from a true fraudster.
  • @Hoddie I don't think it's that drastic what @Andrzej is suggesting. They're not saying the buyer can't order at all, they only need to select a tracked option. Even right now, I've had to stop all untracked shipments completely due to the backlogs here in Canada so the risk is much higher of INR reports. I completely agree with that feature suggestion.
  • Each to their own but tracking offers very limited protection for the seller, and only if the buyer pays with PayPal.
  • @Andrzej, hi there! I have no idea what shipping options your country offers, but for example in the United States, if we print our postage via PayPal to verified buyer addresses, we have both buyer and seller protection (which basically protects us from scammers). While payment options are a personal decision for every store, this is one of the reasons we only use PayPal on our storefront for payment options (to ensure we have those protections).

We also require insurance for all orders over a certain value in our shipping methods.

Between the two - and perhaps I've just been SUPER lucky thus far two years in - I haven't had a single problem in terms of anyone attempting to scam me or our charity, which has been awesome!

Again, no idea what options are available to you in Poland, but you definitely can mitigate some of this known risk for every online business by requiring insurance for orders over a certain value that you cannot expense on your taxes as lost shipments/refunds? (I have no idea how business taxes work in your country, of course).

Just a thought for consideration! :-)
  • Brickowl is growing quickly. There are loads of new members and therefore a lot of potential customers with less than 5 feedback.

I would not suggest putting hurdles in their way, or they will likely go elsewhere, or even leave the platform.

If you are worried about a particular transaction, make sure the delivery is insured.
  • @Andrzej - you say "we are not responsible for lost letter by mail" - sorry, but this is against EU and Polish consumer laws and is illegal. @Lawrence - can we please prevent BO becoming the wold west that is BL?
  • Hoodie - you didn't understand the suggestion ... The new buyer has the shipping option "tracked and signature"
    Thank you for your opinions. There are different rules in each country, I'm glad that you can protect yourself in the US, unfortunately this is not the case everywhere. My suggestion is not mandatory, it would simply be available, and who would want to secure the store in this way, would have the option of enabling such a store security option. Not everyone must enable this option.
  • I understand you perfectly. Not content with telling customers that they take on the risk unless they pay extra for tracking (an illegal practice in the EU), you now want even more of the risk of being in business to be transferred to a particular sub-group of buyers. This would be fine in a business-to-business scenario, but you're talking about business-to-consumer, and it stinks. And I'm not in the US.
  • Hoddie - you don't read with understanding, not all my speech was directed to you. I see that my suggestion has upset you a lot, but thanks for your opinion. Remember that this is only a suggestion. Don't worry, I know the regulations in EU and Pl, I am responsible for shipping until it is delivered, my "note" is the only way that often new customers choose the "tracking and signature" shipping option. The customer pays about € 2 (this is not a high price) more than standard shipping, but thanks to this, he and I are safe. And every problem (even if the shipment is lost) that buyers report to me, I always try to solve it in such a way that customers are satisfied, thanks to which I did not receive any negative feedback. And the clients come back because the viewer can trust me. I don't know what sale you have in your store but I would like to inform you that fortunately there are few cases of fraud, maybe 1 in 500 orders. if it were more then I would have introduced only tracked shipments a long time ago. but from experience I know that customers want to pay as little as possible for shipping.
  • I think the one who doesn't understand here is you.

It is illegal within the EU to say "we are not responsible for lost letter by mail" regardless of your intent. Some EU-based buyers will choose these shipping methods and give up their rights. This puts you at a commercial advantage over those sellers who choose not to break the law.

You're trying to channel new customers into buying tracked shipping. That's easy to achieve by only offering tracked shipping.
  • I don't want to write to you because you completely deviate from the topic of suggestion. I will not give up standard shipments because many of my clients (my customers or new ones with many feedbaks) appreciate the possibility of choosing a cheaper delivery and choose these delivery options some a few, several times and are happy with it. But I would like to be able to use the option that will prevent the choice of standard shipping options for new buyers (with new accounts) in my store. Such a person would normally be able to shop but would only have the option of tracked shipping. Remember that this could be a suggestion for the store to voluntarily choose this option.
  • You don't want to debate with me because I'm pointing out that you're breaking the law.

Your suggestion penalises certain buyers purely because they're 'new'. That's appalling imo.
This discussion has been closed.