Back from our FLL competition today

edited December 2013 in General Vote Up0Vote Down
Some of you may know the First LEGO League season is here, my team had it's first round of competition today. For those who don't know it is a robotics competition for youth that focuses on learning, presenting and team building skills.

This was my first year being a coach, and the first tournament I have been too. It was a long day, but very neat to be part of and see from the inside.

We did not win any awards today but it was amazing how a bit of pressure and competition can inspire the youth's motivation level and explain things in experience that were hard to get across with none of them having been on this kind of team before. "Next Year" already the talk for many of them.

If you have some motivation to get your LEGO potential out into the community I recommend this program. With just a bit of prodding from me this past summer I was able to convince our local library to start and sponsor the team.

Finding some time to show youth that LEGO potential and fun does not have to end with childhood can be done in many ways, I encourage anyone remotely interested to get out there and find something to do in your local community to build people up.

If anyone has questions on FLL I am happy to share what I know. Or share here what you have been doing yourself, ideas for others and have fun!

Joe

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hey Joe, I tried to get involved in England - but no one returned my e-mails.

Is it done thru the schools, scouts or what?

I was reading one group that made an automated generator shut off this year

Thanks Graham
  • Hi Graham

The majority of teams were from schools but there is no requirement to have any standing organization to base out of.

Each year has a theme and this year was natural disasters, our team came up with a lightweight passive solar water distillation unit.

I believe this link has your local info, we have had no issues here with communication.

http://www.ncfirstrobotics.org/

Joe