WHATS WITH THE DOTS !!!!

logged in this morning and noticed a bunch of coloured dots on my order list . Ugly . Learnt along time ago its safer to actually read the colour name rather than rely on the colour image , not good if your eyes are old . i say no non nien to the dots ..

Comments

• 23 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I too read the color not look at the picture. What if it is rendered incorrectly or your printer is running out of ink and a red part looks orange?
    I don't like the dots!
  • One more thing to put on the list of customizable things for these screens. :)

I would not choose to show them as is, but see the value in the option.

• I've disabled them until I can think up something that won't cause this reaction.
  • Old Jewish wise story about a goat... :)
  • DAMN - it was very handy - suddenly **gone**

It made picking orders much easier, could you make it selectable option then?

Perhaps if the color dots or what have you, had there own column, so they didn't sit right next to or on the image…

worst thing is I haven't yet picked the huge lot # order I got last night - where they WOULD have been REALLY useful!

Graham
  • and by the way they didn't print out, so I was picking to list on laptop.

Where the colors of parts image in MSG rendered as every possible shade from white to black the "dots" rendered the same, which was perfect!
  • Huh. I kind of liked them. Oh well.

When the original discussion was posted, I was imagining a colored block in a Color column all its own. It would take a bit more ink, but if it was optional, shouldn't be too much backlash.
  • Can we just make them optional then? That should keep everybody happy in this season of goodwill :)
  • I would prefer to make an optimal solution, something that I'm happy with, and that users are not disgusted by, rather than creating lots of options. Lots of options make a website difficult to work on and confusing for users. Or to put it another way, this isn't BrickLink.
  • @Admin Good point. There's a reason Apple products are so popular, even with their notable lack of customization.
  • I liked them, but maybe the position is not very well choosen. Is it possible to place it in a separate column?
  • How about having all part images in the actually colors. And in the mean time where the actual color is not pictured have some kind of thing to draw your attention to the fact that the color is not what is pictured.
    Melissa
  • Colored image + color name in black text, is my preference.
    I don't trust my eyes, my lighting, my printer, nor my laptop to correctly render Lego element colors.

...some day I'm going to get one of those Pantone boxes the paint stores use...

• The problem is with the difference in color of the same color - by that I mean MSG often does not look MSG, instead it may look DSG or even white (I just caught that before packing this AM - a MSG tile "looks" white).

Now when you have a large lot # order of mixed Black/MSG/DSG and White and they **look** the wrong color is where the problem is, I had one the other day when the dots were present it was much MUCH easier to pick correctly.

The answer is a "color" column with a dot or maybe a square or maybe even an outline of a 1 stud Brick, filled with the same shade and color.

This isn't for Pantone accuracy - it IS for uniformity - it does not matter what shade your printer prints, your monitor renders or even what you see - you know what it is and see the same shade in the "color column" = same color.

It improves the speed and accuracy in picking orders, and only needs to be in the "picking" view.
  • @Admin
    Would having an on/off button have that much of an impact on Brickowl usability or "confusion"?

BrickOwl is already totally different from Bricklink in form and function
  • Last point - sorry should have put all these in one.

To those that only "read the color" rather than look at the picture - why do we have a picture then?

From that, another option would be to remove ALL color from parts and just show a uniform monochrome outline, but that would really slow down picking orders.
  • I use the pictures to verify I have the correct part, then read the color. Plus I think the customer likes the pictures when they receive their order so they too can see what they ordered and inventory the order themselves.
  • How about having all part images in the actually colors.
    This is my favorite eventual solution as well and one I am working on. I have been matching the colours to the site swatches with the renders I have been making. That said some of the swatches could be better too. Dark grey for one is kind of purple. Point being time will solve many present issues and almost anything can be picked apart.

Is it possible to place it in a separate column?
    Agree with this and the way Bart described it in the other thread for aesthetics.

I don't print off picking lists so none of that angle is relevant to me.

• > To those that only "read the color" rather than look at the picture - why do we have a picture then?

Redundancy improves comprehension. Color+words is better then either alone.
    It's why stop signs are red and also say STOP.
  • That is my point.

Problem is when colors vary widely (are incorrect) in the picture of a part, especially the monochrome (ish) colors the grays more specifically...