New store

Hi all just joined brickowl great to be here and going to open a store just having a look around site to try and get the hang of it as only ever sold things on ebay and was just wondering when you part out new sets is there any way to track where the part is in my storage drawers like putting a code number like a001 on drawer so if someone buys that part i know which drawer its in sorry if this is confusing any help would be appreciated thanks Len

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi Len,
    Welcome to Brick Owl! Other people who part out new sets may be in a better place to help with this query (I generally only deal in used parts), but you can add a private note when you add a part to inventory. How easy this is to do for lots of parts in one go, I don't know.

If you have any other questions, have a search through the forum as you'll often find it's been asked before, or post a new question - always loads of people happy to help

Regards
    James
  • thanks james i will have a look through forum see if i can find out new to this site but have a large lego collection myself of used lego but i have around 500 new sets ive been saving for awhile i was going to part out and sell so would be great to be organised right from the start as will have loads of items thanks again for reply
  • Welcome to BO, @thelockup! You'll find this a friendly, awesome place to sell in! :-) As Jay37 says, most of us used parts sellers use the private note field to comment on the part location; for example, I have numerous bins and drawers in my "LEGO room" where we store everything. For Bin A, row 1, column 2 (the drawers), I label the private note for the part as A1-2.

I'm a bit nitty, so I also put the date I last physically saw/listed the item in that area (as parts sometimes tend to wander out of a bin... or if I'm moving stock around drawers to make room for higher volume parts, the date is a lifesaver - I've used the date to search my inventory then, as on rare occasions, I forgot to note the new bin location of the item but could find it by looking at what other bins I "sighted" that day).

There are plenty of folks on here that part out new sets as Jay notes, so they will offer you good advice. :-) I certainly know you can use a tool like BrickStock, as an example, to breakout the native parts and spares of a new set, then upload that list to your store for sale as a .xml file.

I wish you and your store great success!

R,
    Sandy and Joe (Calibrick)
  • @thelockup
    Have you figured out storage?
    500 sets is quite a few, without knowing if they are small or large. I am at over 7000 unique lots, all pretty much in a unique location, that’s a lot of storage.

When it comes to id of location I use alpha numeric for each location (as private note) the letter is for each general location in the store, followed by numbers sequentially thru that place. Makes it easier picking orders, as I am then going thru the area in one direction rather than going back and forth.
    If I were to start again I would use letters only.
    Parts generally stay in the same place, so an empty lot will be an empty compartment in that place, until I add the part again. Space isn’t an issue for me -for now!

Best wishes!
  • Sorry only got back on thanks for the comments really useful advice iam not short of storage as have a shop unit which i use as a store/mancave and i am going to have a room just for lego and i have loads of containers and mini drawers to use just want to find out the best way to start as be a nightmare sorting later on and the sets range from small to medium size and i think i have closer to 600 sets so a bit of work ahead of me and thanks agin for the help