No refund for charges from Paypal??

Has anyone else noticed that when you refund a customer through paypal they do not appear to give a refund on the refund if you follow me? A customer requested an order to be sent via Hermes but I was able to post it via Large letter. I refunded the customer for the overpayment and where before Pay Pal used to give a refund for the charges they dont appear todbe doing this anymore, at least its not showing on refund page. Has anyone else noticed this please?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • PayPal changed their terms awhile ago to state this. This is in effect in UK and US and will be hitting Canada in May. I'm still not sure how I'm going to handle this.

Seems like they are bending us over the barrel so to speak.
  • @leopard37 oh my goodness i dont recall having a notice and to be honest its only been the last couple of days I have noticed. Now this is a bit of a problem I feel as many customers pay for Hermes when orders can be posted as large letter. I feel it would be unfair not to refund customers ( and I will always do so) but at the same time its a bit ufair to us stores who then have to loose out on the refund from paypal. Do we inform customers that we have to deduct a small charge from their refund which again does not sound like a good idea?
  • And by the way, Stripe will be doing the same starting on May 1, got an email from them at the end of February informing of the change.
  • I considered it, but decided against it. Cost of doing business. I always send a note "No problem! Hope we can be of service soon." Hoping they would be coming back some day. I'll eat those 50 cent for a potential new customer in the future.
  • Postage refunds are one thing, but a full order another. Considering a restocking as the cancelled orders are usually the high, high value buyer remorse and we aren't talking in the cents anymore.
  • @brickrepository There goes my out to say I'm taking business elsewhere. Are PayPal's profits really in need of that much of a pump up. I'm feeling like pulling a Jesus on the money lenders soon.
  • @Geert Middelman its not ideal but I am getting more and more orders where customers with low cost orders who are ordering and requesting Hermes. I dont want to increase my postage costs because that is just not fair to all customers and at the same time do not want to customers to have to "request a quote". I just dont know what the answer will be!!!
  • @brickrepository yep me too. Are they jsut getting too greedy?? :(
  • Just a FYI - restocking fees are illegal in the EU, so if you plan on introducing these on Brick Owl, which is a platform based in the EU, you should probably check with Admin that you're okay to do so.
  • Thanks Hoddie, so is anything on the sellers side in the EU, it seems not. Buyers remorse, don't really want it. What happened to self regulation, balancing a personal budget and not wasting vendor's time.
  • Consumer laws are definitely heavily-weighted in favour of the consumer here in the EU, particularly when buying online - mostly because a lack of regulation was encouraging a lot of dodgy business practices. It certainly doesn't seem to prevent businesses making cash :)
  • I think about 60% of my sales are through Stripe now, which is a lot easier and quicker, and slightly cheaper. But they refund the fee completely if you cancel the payment. On top of that it puts a 'hold' and won't charge until you actually ship, which solves this issue in an even better way.
  • I figure out the fee I pay to PayPal for the overage split that in half and subtract that out of the refund I give to the buyer. No one seems to mind. After all I don't HAVE to give them a refund at all as my stated prices are very clear in my terms. Better to split the cost of the charge and get a refund than not get a refund at all.