Just imported 150,000 piece inventory. BrickSync & Missing Part Numbers

Greetings everyone. Brand new user in BO, and pretty new to BL as well.
Just opened our store on BL back in Dec, and have been hearing great things about BO, so we decided to hop over and test the waters.

So far I like the UI, very clean and easy to use.

Tonight I installed BrickSync, and it went pretty smooth. It dropped all the coral parts of course. I'm running Windows 8 so the latest update of BrickSync for Win-10 won't work for me, I tried. No big deal for now. Just need to know the sync is working. So far so good.

I had a bunch of parts that did not transfer over due to part numbers not being recognized. Where do I send the list? The forum won't let me post all the text here.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The items will likely be on BO but they'll be missing the BLIDs so it won't be possible for BrickSync to match them up.

You can update the BO database so that the items with missing BLIDs can then be synced (preferable because this helps everyone). This will reward you with BO catalogue points which you can redeem for fee-free months and other things. Takes a day or so for the updates to be accepted.

Or you can tell your BrickSync which items to match using the owlforceblid command:
    owlforceblid BOID BLID

An item's BOID is found on each item's page here on BO. Make sure you're looking at the main page for an item (BOID will be something like 123456) rather than a specific colour of an item (BOID will be 123456-12).

An item's BLID is the item number used on BL (so x40 or 3002, etc.).
  • Or you could maybe ask for a volunteer to submit the missing BLIDs - somebody may be looking for catalogue points.
  • Hi Brick Junkies! I could be that volunteer Hoddie mentioned. Feel free to send me a message. :)
  • Interesting.....i didn't think we received catalogue points for BLIDs? I've been adding several BLIDs over the last few weeks but hadn't noticed my points going up. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Do they show up on the itemised list of points? Closest I can see is a category for Design ID.
  • You might be right, I just assumed all contributions earned points.
  • Hi Brick Junkies,

If you take a look at this thread: https://www.brickowl.com/forum#/discussion/8343/colour-coral-issues-with-bricksync

I compiled a new bricksync.exe that works with Coral. It works for Windows 10, not sure whether Windows 8 will work but if you're willing to give it a try...

Rich
  • Thanks Rich !!  Unfortunately, I get a .dll error when trying to install that update. I'm guessing it's a file Win10 has that Win8 does not.  I need to update the computers anyway. This will be a good excuse I guess ;)

I figure I'll take a crack at adding the parts info myself and see how everything works over here. If I get bogged down, I'll pass it on to someone. I think there were about 220 parts that were not coming over correctly, not including the coral parts that I can't do much about right now.

Qestion: Why can't we just go into the database and change the color ID number over here to 220 for it just works ??
  • Brick Junkies - if only it was that simple!

The colour IDs are hardcoded into BrickSync, so every time a new colour is released the program has to be modified manually. The original author isn't releasing any more updates, so it's up to us users to change the program ourselves. I managed to work out how to compile a Windows 10 version, but that's about it!

Rich
  • That error is referring to a file that is included in the original Bricksync download from Stragus. You should copy brickadoon's updated bricksync.exe file in the folder where you installed the original Bricksync and replace the existing file.

For the record, I have it working on Windows 7 so I see no reason why it should not also work on Windows 8.
  • Awesome Paulvdb.. I will try it when I get home. I didn't think about putting the nwe .exe in the same folder.. DUUU

For those used brick sellers.. I use BrickPicker Pro for adding all my used parts into inventory. That app had been neglected since 2017, and was missing TONS of parts and colors. I contacted the program designed and paid him to update the app for me. It cost a lot of money, but makes my like 10x easier for adding used parts, and now EVERY part and color is in there and working. The app was working from the BL databse before, and I suggested he modify it to run off Re-Brickables DB, as it seemes to be more complete and also be using the actual element ID#'s.

It might cost a good chunk of $$, but I could contact the guy and see if he wants to take on this app as well, and get it upgraded and make it more flexible for everyone?? If everyone kicked in $25-50 it might be worth his time.

Just an idea,
  • I remember this pain - not because of Bricksync, but just from uploading the bulk of my 110k inventory the very first time. I got luck then though, there were only about 200 items the system didn't recognize. Most of the items were in the catalog but poorly named and lacking BL IDs also (as I used Brickstock originally) - I just updated them all slowly over time, adding images, renaming better, adding themes, BL ID, and so on. I thought I did get points for the IDs though as in those cases, they weren't in the system. It's probably little talked about for obvious reasons...
  • @paulvdb
    I moved your updated exe into my BrickSync folder, and it worked just fine !! Thanks man. I though it was a new setup exe file, not just a replacment exe file.