Image submission question

I read in the rules that the photos must have been taken by me. If my photos were previously submitted to other online LEGO catalog websites, are they still valid to be used here?

Brian

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm afraid not, they have to either be taken by Lego, or permission must be given to use them (for example by being taken by yourself).
  • They are my photos but have been used on BL and elsewhere.

Brian
  • I'm sorry, I misread your message, that is absolutely fine. As long as you have never signed anything saying you have given the copyright over to someone else, you can do what you want with them.
  • Eh, looks like most of my images would be redundant. I did upload one though.

Brian
  • For custom sets that I designed myself, I can supply images but they tend to be CGI (raytraced in POVray) rather than photos...

I wasn't totally clear on the copyright situation though? I'm fine uploading them and granting implied license for use here but want to retain all other rights.

Are those both OK?
  • Ray traced images are fine, on a white background would always be preferred all if possible. With regards to the copyright, we will just be displaying on the website, you retain copyright over them.
  • Are we not able to upload our own images any more? I just had an image of a sticker sheet that I took myself rejected.
    Reason: Need to use official Lego pictures, this sticker picture was taken by a "normal" person.
  • That sounds terrible now I read it back. If the picture is your own, that's fine, it's best to put a note with it to let me know. We have a lot of people submit images taken from other websites that aren't their own.
  • JayJay
    edited July 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    No worries. Probably a good thing anyway. Just dug through an old backup drive and found the original unedited version which is a bit better quality, so will give it another try :)
  • So if I understand correctly, if an image is missing from the BrickOwl catalog the only remedy is to take a picture yourself of that part or minifig?
  • Yes, or another user can submit an image.
  • Is there any chance for minifigure pictures we can leverage off of BrickSet to keep from duplicating work with the help of Huw?
  • I could ask but it might cause issues with others using the catalog. He put a lot of work into them.
  • Might not hurt to ask, you're call!