How Do I EXCLUDE Certain Countries from a Shipping Method

When choosing an international shipping method for the "World", how do I EXCLUDE certain countries from that method?

The US Post Office has very different rates for different countries. Take a 5 pound (2.3 kg) parcel for example. USPS Priority Mail postage for this parcel would be $37.65 to Canada, $46.80 to Germany, and $57.40 to Great Britain. It is obvious why shipping from the USA to Canada is so much cheaper than shipping to Europe or Asia. But even to Europe the rates to specific countries vary quite a lot. As noted above, it costs almost 23% more to ship a 5 pound package from the USA to Great Britain than it does to ship that same package to Germany. Postage for a 25 pound (11.4 kg) parcel from the USA to Japan costs $108.90, whereas that same parcel to Australia would cost $145.05 - 33% more. Yes, I do get international orders this big (and bigger) from time to time.

Because of these widely different prices, my store offers separate shipping methods to buyers in specific countries such as Canada, Germany, Great Britain, Japan and China. Then I have a separate shipping method and prices I offer to the rest of the "World". However, the BO system is still offering my "World" shipping rates to my buyers in Canada, Germany, Japan, etc., and sometimes the World rates are cheaper (which means I can lose as much as 10-20% on shipping when I take the package to the Post Office and they charge me the country-specific rates). I tested this last night in my own store posing as a buyer from Japan and saw two different Priority Mail rates being offered under the Japan shipping method and the World shipping method.

For this reason, sellers NEED a way to exclude certain countries from "World" based shipping (and region based shipping such as "Europe", "EU" and "Asia") *IF* they have set up shipping methods to those certain countries.

BTW, I notice BO expanded the choices in the drop down box for region based shipping. This certainly helps, but does not go far enough. For example, US sellers still cannot exclude Canada from world based shipping; nor can we exclude other specific countries. Rather than expanding the region drop down box so that it covers every possibility, it would be better to allow sellers to exclude specific countries from world or region based shipping.

Thor

P.S. Some other countries US sellers may not want to ship to (or be allowed to ship to by law) include Iran, Cuba, North Korea, etc. And because of customs and security concerns, some sellers make a specific point to not ship to countries such as Italy, Brazil, Nigeria, etc. So again, sellers need the ability to exclude shipping to specific countries.

P.S.S. The drop down box for region based shipping should also include South America and Oceania (e.g. Australia and New Zealand) as additional regions, as postage rates to these regions are usually very different than rates to other regions.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Haply I can actually answer your question without saying "soon". You can hold down the CTRL button on your keyboard, and then click on one of the countries. That will either select or unselect it.

let me know how that goes. I will put adding those other regions on my list, I need to get the country codes for them
  • Excellent! Problem solved. :) **==