Chrome exhaust pipe 40620

Hello,

It is my second order already, where I receive a chrome exhaust pipe 71137 from a different seller. When making the order, there is no information or a comment, that something else will be used. In the order summary page it is stated that part 40620 is being sent.

Why is this happening?

Those parts are very different. The connection part is different and the thick part of the pipe is closer to the curved location. Also they are not alternate parts officially. Why have I been sent the 71137? Is there some type of internal agreement that those parts are concidered as alternate parts?

If they are concidered alternate parts - why is this type of unwritten agreement made?

With best regards,

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • And I just discovered that this is a BO issue... It does not have the part in the catalog. The exhaust pipe, that I am hunting, is the one included for example in set 10156. How am I able to obtain this piece if BO will automatically select 71137? I can't even seem to be able to select that and BO does concider them as alternate parts...
  • And now I'm even more confused... Checked and 10156 does not have the 40620 pipe... Rebrickable has incorrect information. But set 4604 seems to have the one... But on BO it has the 71137 in the part list, but it is not possible to connect 71137 without extra technic connector piece that is not included in the set... It seems to be that this is a widespread confusion...
    How should this thing be handled now and whos fault it is that a wrong part has been delivered to me?

And I just want to get the chrome pipe with technic pin...
  • And it seems, that even the description is incorrect, but if you check, where the chrome pipe with technic connector is used, then you get the correct list. But the part number is wrong for that description and that list:
    LEGO Chrome Silver Exhaust Pipe with Technic Pin and Slanted End (71137)
  • On Brick Owl those parts are listed as mold variations as they could be confused by sellers. Therefore you would need to ensure when purchasing the part that it is from a store that "differentiates mold variations". When looking at the part in a store, if the store does not differentiate, there would be a warning regarding this. With the first order, this was a store that does not differentiate. However, the second-order should have been correct, so the best thing to do would be to contact the store about the mistake.

I hope that helps,
    Lawrence James
  • @Lawrence
    Hello,

But those parts should not be concidered mold variations, because they function differently. And even with upgrading the 71137 with technic pin 4274, the start of the thick part is much close and then would cause problems with fitting... I'm at work and I can not make an example picture, but I will do so later today to bring out the differences.

With best regards,
  • Hi,

So an example picture of why they function differently (besides the wobbling and not being fixed in location). Also it is definite that those parts use absolutely different mold numbers and in BO the chrome exhaust with technic pin has incorrect part number.

With best regards,
  • Many mould variations function differently, that's one of the main reasons why they're differentiated on the aftermarket. The seller should correct their mistake.

I need to check but I think I have the parts you're looking for, though they're not currently listed in my store. I can add them if you're interested.
  • @Hoddie
    I wouldn't concider it a mold variation, if the part functions differently. As I've understood, then for examples:

- 3962a, 3962b and 19220 - those are different mold variations, no specific functional difference, just the aesthetics and apparence.
    - 2436, 10201, 28802 - mold variations, just one has round corners, the other doesn't.

- 55981, 55982 - different molds, one has an axel hole and the other has a technic pin hole, different parts and not a mold variation.
    - 4868a, 4868b - different molds, one has four studs for attaching and the other has two studs for attaching, different parts and not mold variations.

So should all those parts be concidered as mold variations and not different parts? In my opinion those last two examples are and should be concidered as different parts and are not related to each other.
  • edited February 2020 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I accept your point I just don't agree with it. I believe mould variations could have functional or aesthetic differences, or a combination of the two.

The 1 x 6 x 2 Arch comes in several variations, for most builders the difference is aesthetic only, but they also have a functional difference depending on the builder's intent.

The exhaust pipe is an example of a piece where either variation would suffice for many, but not all, builders.
  • It may help to clarify that as Brick Owl, our main criteria for marking items as mould/decoration variations is either if Lego use them interchangeably in sets, or they could be confused for each other by sellers.

In this case, although they could be confused, I’ll look into if I should remove the link for the part without pin.
  • @Lawrence

"...or they could be confused for each other by sellers."

So by the general thumb rule, this exhaust pipe with technic pin and without the pin can be concidered as mold variations by the community since they look similar?
    I just want to be clear on this for future reasons. I have no intentions of creating any hassle to anyone =).
    All said, I just want to get things cleared and overall clarity for myself (and anyone else, who is confused).

Peace,
  • @Hoddie

I would concider 3307, 12939 and 15254 different parts and not as mold variations since they have different size clearance and in build perspective, as you said, they would matter if something would fit under there or not...

But I cound myself as a new "active" member here, then I will follow the majorities opinion on this =) - as long as that opinion is clearly understandable ... for me.
  • @P6tu that's generally how I link them up, but I'll change this one to just being related