Catalog Improvement

Recently we've been thinking about how to tackle the remaining catalog items that are missing data. Particularly with part images, but also weights and dimensions. One of the ideas we have been considering, is to offer a monthly budget to a store to purchase parts from other Brick Owl stores, take high quality images/measurements of those parts, and then re-list the items for sale. With the income from the re-sale of those parts offsetting the effort involved. I'd be interested to hear of other suggestions for how to deal with this, or for thoughts on the above.

You can see items with missing data here https://www.brickowl.com/search/catalog?query=All&show_missing=1

Comments

• 26 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That is a great idea Lawrence - if I was any good at taking pictures I would offer my services :) I am sure ne of the big stores on here would be willing to help.
  • The first item on the list is a rather common LEGO Round Plate 1 x 1 with image, weight and dimensions present. What is missing there?
  • If you take a look at the left side, you can filter by different types of missing data. Not all types necessarily need entering as they may only apply to certain categories or types
  • While it sounds like an intriguing idea, I'm not sure how you would ensure the budget is being used to only buy the items with missing data.

Also it would need to be enough to cover shipping costs too, as I'm not sure people would be willing to use the budget for a part costing a few pence/cents but then pay several pounds/dollars for shipping out of their own pocket.

I'm sure @Lawrence has thought of these things, I'm just thinking out loud.

On @Pikka thoughts, is there no way to mark in the system if data is not required for certain type? It would make it lot easier to see what we actually need to supply if all the irrelevant missing data fields weren't shown for each part.
  • I would also help, although my pictures aren't the best. Is there a focus? On new parts I would be willing to buy certain sets to ensure the parts are processes correctly. I assume this is mostly old parts.

Tyson.
  • For this idea to work best I would suggest having a volunteer in each major country. This would save on the shipping cost if each member only bought from their country. I think most work could be accomplished within the US and EU.
  • I'd be happy to throw my hat in the ring, in whatever format this ends up being. Been a bit lax for the last six months due to other commitments but am keen to get the old light tent out - have loads of my own parts to do too.
  • This is something I am interested in. Got a light tent and a good camera. Would be willing to get a gram scale to help with weights (anyone have a recommendation for a good one?) . Like leopard37, I would be willing to work on new sets to ensure the BO inventory matches up with what the set has along with pics, weights, stickered items, etc.

Timewise, I don't have a ton of time, but I could find an hour or two a day with some extra on Saturdays to work on this.
  • I've looked at what pictures are missing the most and it is Modulex pieces and torsos without arms... Although I want a complete catalog I'm unwilling to pull the arms off torsos, too much chance of damage. Are any of the contributors Modulex experts?

Tyson.
  • @leopard37 Selling used pieces, I come across tons of armless torsos. I've added several, plan on adding more pics hopefully soon.

Back to the main topic, a couple of issues I've thought up.

How would you make sure the budget is spent only on pieces for catalog contribution, and that the contributors aren't being dishonest and using the money for themselves?

How would you keep contributors from buying the same things? I buy a piece that needs info, but so does leopard37. They gets theirs first and uploads the info right away. I get mine, but there is no info missing anymore. I've now just wasted part of the income.
  • ^^ Agreed, it would take some coordination. Perhaps assignment by type, also how would this affect the prize giveaways? If I am in the race and get money to improve the site does that disqualify me, just needs to be addressed, if I was one of the other people in the race but not a seller that would bother me.

Tyson.
  • I have told myself a few times in the past to do some data mining in my inventory and upload it to BrickOwl, but every time I found something else to do.
    An incentive of being paid is nice, but I don't think (for me) enough to go and do it. So yes I would by the parts, but no guarantee that the job gets done.

In other words, great idea, but look if you can do it with those who allready have shown that they can and do these kind of things.

Another idea is to provide a good instruction on how to take photo's of parts, I know they can be found online, but there are so many :( Maybe someone on BO that has done good work can provide an instruction.

And maybe some guidelines with weighing and measuring. I do have a scale, but it only shows grams and for most items that's not accurate enough. Sure if you have 10 ore more of the same you can weigh together and devide.

But I promise from now on, I will at least take a little time each week to help and fill the catalog starting with dimensions, those I can do. Maybe I will get a fototent as well and see if I can take some pictures as well. Enough parts to choose from :)
  • And maybe add a few pages to the help explaning how you can add and edit some things.
    For example, how to add an existing minifigure to an existing set (heads up, I'm truying something, hope it works).

And for me it would be great that in case an edit or contribution gets rejected, why it gets rejected. I know I have put in a few LEGO ID's for a new set, but seeing my point they where rejected.
  • I'd be willing to offer my photographing and Lego measuring services (weight, measurements, etc.) if this idea went through. We do this a lot in the field with artifacts (I'm an archaeology student) and I have access to a light box set up. I could invest a few hours a week.
  • "And for me it would be great that in case an edit or contribution gets rejected, why it gets rejected. I know I have put in a few LEGO ID's for a new set, but seeing my point they where rejected."

And this already has been put in place, I got a rejection with explanation this afternoon. With explanation why and how it should be done :)
  • Hmmm... My two cents:
    BO buys and farms out part for imaging/listing to volunteers... that ensures people are not using BO's budget for errr personal stuff potentially, gives BO a list of who has what (if they deign to keep one), and retains the current catalog point system.

I'd assume this would be limited to parts missing images or dimensions, and potentially set inventories? I think all other info you can ferret out online reasonably close or bang-on?

Just joining in on the brainstorming! I would happily pitch in with this. I tend to do 10k points worth of catalog stuff when I hit the stickered items in the giant merged lots I put in (my next pass at these will probably be around May, at a guess).

Whether the inputter keeps the items or sends them back to BO is up to BO...? They'd have to get into SASEs, etc., then, and they are in UK if they work with us overseas sellers that pitch in. :-)
  • Thank you for everyone's comments on this, we've now made the first order on a users behalf for some parts to be photographed. Based on the results of this we may then expand this to other members.

With regards to some of the comments above, we purchased the items directly, rather than providing a budget. As the value of the items isn't that substantial, the images will still count towards the normal catalog points programs as the effort involved is still significant.

Thank you,
    Lawrence James
  • Sounds awesome, Lawrence, I hope the pilot goes well!!!
  • Regarding catalog improvement in general, I thought it might please some members to hear the number of unnamed sets/instructions/packaging is now down to zero! Now onto the parts :)
  • ::insert puppy dance of joy here::

Outstanding work, ALL!!!
  • Is there an easy way to drill down to minifigure parts to see if they are missing information when you have that minifigure in stock? Or do you have to go through each to see?

Thanks in advance.
  • @leopard37 Unfortunately I'm not aware of an easy way to do that
  • As an update, thanks to the hard work of both the members of the catalog improvement program, and our catalog contributors, over the past few months the number of parts without an image has decreased by over 500. We will continue to work to get to the point where all items have an image, category, dimension and weight.