Additional information field (Optional note to seller) during purchase

Hello,

So, for the last few months I have been actively ordering missing spares for my sets and during every order I add specific information to the "Optional note to seller" box stating that it is cruicial to have my phone number on the package.

My problem is, that many of the sellers do not pay attention to that and this causes me to get my package at least +2 weeks later ... Unless the postal worker knows me. And also, there are cases, where I might not get the package at all.

So how could I make a definite note to the seller and how can I, as a purchaser, make sure, that my phone number will be added on the package?

PS! I also have heard, that some people are afraid to get in conflict with EU GDPR regulations - it is simple:
I, as the requester of the placement of my phone number, can give the permission to use my phone number on the package. No rules or paragraphs have been violated, if I clearly state that I want to have my phone number on that package.

With best regards,
P6tu

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • As a seller I have to confess it's very easy to miss when there's a note attached to an order.
    I know it shows both on the order list page and on the order page itself, but I still find myself almost missing it.

Most of the times I only see the note after the order is packed and I'm adding it to my spreadsheet. At this point I'm looking at the "header" of the order and there's the note.

Maybe something can be done about the placement, or maybe highlight it with a different colour.
  • Since I've never been on the sellers side, then I can't comment about the process. Maybe it is something worth looking into, by making the note to seller more visible on differentiate from other things... Like maybe a step in changing the statuses from processing to processed or something?
  • I would include a note a send a message after you place the order. Then the seller will get the notification next to "Messages" along with an e-mail. He won't if you just include the note. The note will show up on the order page, which the seller will hopefully see, but seems like most don't. The message should definitely get the seller's attention.
  • And then 2 days later when you package the order en get it shipping ready, you forget all about the message and mail :)
    Allthough I find the note visable enough, maybe it is a good idea to have the note also in the shipping address area, or at least a notification/reminder there, that there is a note attatched to the order.
    For good measure, attached an image from the top of an order (I think P6tu will recognize) where the note is.
    After that come all the items in the order en beneath that there are the different addresses, order history and so on.
    Truth be told, I don't know how a buyer sees this, since I have never made a purchase on BO (shame on me)
  • As a seller, I don’t know how it’s possible to miss the note.

It’s right there at the top AND there’s an icon on the outstanding orders summary page showing note attached!

If you really want to add another reminder, send a message with “response requested” then it shows on the sellers home page.

It’s the sellers responsibility to get the order to you, so they have a vested interest in reading the message, otherwise you file a claim for order not received with PayPal, leave appropriate feedback. Sorted!
  • @P6tu: do you also have the phone number in the shipping address (including the "+ countrycode") or only in the note? If it is in the shipping address, it is hard to miss for a seller.
  • He also has the number (incl + countrycode) in the shipping address, but for a Dutch seller (for example) there is no need to put that on the shipping label, and I for one won't normally put that on it by default.
  • @BasKrie
    Well, the buyer sees it exactly the same way as it is on you picture. Just few buttons less =). So according your Picture, I would say that it is visible, but to bring it up a bit more, then it would be better to have it in another colour, if there is some data in it.
    Your picture made me a bit sad that everyone isn't following my note, since it is clearly there and there wasn't something like I tought that could be unnoticed...

@Graham
    From now on I have planned to send an extra message with the same information just in case, but on the ohter händ, I do not want to spam the sellers with my messages also... But as long as it is needed to bring up the importance, then so I must do... I hope I won't be concidered as a nuisance with my messages...

@NelisSolis
    I do have it also in the shipping address.
    Due to GDPR, then there is one probleem that if I have not specifically asked to place my phone number on the package, then it can be interpreted as a violation of privacy - this is ofcourse, if the recepient will file a claim.
    That is why I add the extra note to every order.

@BasKrie
    It is not an obligation to place a phone number on a package nor any address slip. I noticed that there was some topic somewhere here about placing a phone number and email address is a must - that is a false information or misunderstood.

For everyone:
    Placing an email address and/or phone number on the package is NOT MANDATORY. It is optional. It is rather the opposite, that it would be better not to place it on the package or shipping address, unless the purchaser has requested so. Otherwise there is an option for the purchaser to file a complait for violating his/her privacy. That is just the juridical viewpoint. From the other händ - how did the seller aquire the phone number and/or mail address in the first place, if there was no need (unless there is a requirement from the online store where they have specifically stated in their ToS, why and for what purpose those details will be used and the user (buyer) is obligated to agree with the terms and accept them).
  • For EU shipments it's not mandatory, but for non-EU shipment either the phonenumber or mail address has to be added to the shipping label. So sometimes it is a must, thats not misunderstood or false :)
    EU law states that you can only share personal data with someone else if that is needed and agreed to by the person who's data it is. So if you give me your number without any comment I cannot use it anywhere. Even now when you say, please put in on the label, there can be question if it is allowed, beacause it's not actually needed for the shipment to be done.
    But as with many laws, sometimes you just have to use common sense :)
  • @BasKrie
    I'm more inline with the EU regulations and don't know much about non-EU shipments.
    Regarding giving my information to the sender without any comment by mistake, then, yes, sharing that information is against the law.
    If I give my acceptance to share/use that information for doing XXX or YYY that has been clarified, then that can be done, but it can not be used for doing MMM scenario.

Common sense... I've heard of a saying: "Rules and laws are for those, who do not know, how to act or what to do."
  • @P6tu
    You should never feel you are a nuisance by asking a reasonable question. Or making a request clear. No way it’s spam either.
    If you don’t get your order due to a seller not reading or seeing your note. It’s the sellers problem not yours.

I have occasional nice messages left in the “note to seller”, to which I respond - it would be rude to ignore them, may even loose a customer.
  • As a seller, as others have noted, I find it actually hard to miss a note with an order - but maybe it's about procedure. I always start each day on the overall open order view, which lists all the open orders - and that has those awesome icons on the right of the screen which makes it super easy (you can hover over them too to see the notes).

In the same way, I know if anyone is using an expedited shipping method before I even look at their order.

So I guess I'm saying I struggle with the fact sellers don't see your note at all. :-(

I think you've hit on the perfect solution though (I think from Graham), send your sellers an email follow-up reminder. That makes your purchasing experience a bit harder, unfortunately, but at least it can help assure you that you've done everything you reasonably can to get your shipment the way you need it! :-) As @Graham said, that is far from SPAM - you are buying from US, you are our customer. We should be working hard to give you a good purchasing experience in gratitude for your business and hard-earned money. :-)
  • Just add you phone number to your shipping address. like t: 12345666734 . We always copy paste this address and I think most stores do.
  • Then I would have to do that on my paypal account too to match everything and this is something I'd rather not do. And sending an extra message isn't that difficult.