Britain’s departure from the EU - a question for Brits living in U.K.

Being an expat, all I have is (what passes for) news.

Just curious if there is any indication of what the REAL impact on our community might be? (If any)

I believe both sides have exaggerated the outcome so far, I'd really like to hear from anyone with a neutral and/or objective view.

Thanks!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There'll be no difference up until 31 Dec 2020. What happens after that hasn't been decided.
  • So tomorrow is not really anything? Just agreeing to do what they agreed to do 4 years ago?🧐
  • You sure its 31 Dec?

I thought we were now moving into a '2 year transition'!! so effectively nothing changes for another 2 years! But I maybe wrong and it may well be the end of the year.

But whatever date it is, it would appear as of now nothing is changing!
  • Well, many suspect the deadline will be extended and extended and extended, etc. despite BoJo's claims otherwise, but as it stands the temporary deal ends on 31/12/20. If nothing is agreed and there's no extension, then we're back to the cliff-edge scenario of a no-deal Brexit. More likely, compromises will be made and some sort of botched-up deal will be the result, and the temporary deal will end. But what that means for retailers on either side of the channel remains to be seen.
  • Well I for one haven't seen any differences - yet :) I heard it was the 31st Dec too but as @Hoddie mentioned Boris will probably change that deadline. I am expecting the postal rates to our overseas friends to be raised but asked in my PO yesterday and they said that apart from the usual rise in March they haven't been informed about any great rise - here's hoping ;)
  • There will be a transition period until December 31. During that period alsmost everything stays the same. The transition period can be extended by a maximum of two years. An extension must be agreed by the EU and UK no later than June 30.

The transition period will be used to negotiate the future relation between the EU and UK.