Different addresses

edited November 2013 in Brick Owl Vote Up1Vote Down
Recently I have had numerous orders with a different Shipping address and Paypal address. I try to catch them each time and verify with the customer which one is correct and invariably the Paypal address was incorrect and needed to be updated. Now if they pay by Paypal I am only protected if I send to a Paypal address so if it is a small order I just send wherever they want but on larger ones I get them to go change their Paypal address. The problem comes in when I do not notice the difference and the package gets sent to an incorrect address. This recently cost me $30 to pay for half the postage to resend a package to France for a large order. It also looks like it may cost me $2.00 on a 10 cent order to resend another. So basically I am wondering if there is some way to force the customer to have a matching paypal and ship to address.
James

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You want to force customers to take responsibility for their own info? :)

To me, the answer is easy. Any time you get paid by PayPal, ship to the PayPal address. You can put that in store terms or in a big flashing banner, but some people still will fail to notice. It's not your fault, and as you say PayPal pretty much wants you to do it that way. I doubt I would pay half of shipping in a case like this, and no way would I pay all of it. But that's me.
  • I have gotten in the habit of checking PayPal addresses. If there is a different address, I always contact the buyer and ask them which address is correct. If BO is correct, then I tell them to update PayPal before I ship.

Chris
  • Potentially, at the checkout stage, you could attempt to say "your PayPal address does not match your shipping address, change it" but would lead to a pretty bad checkout experience. It would also be difficult to check if they match in an automatic manner.

At this stage I think I would prefer to keep it as it is, providing all of the addresses to the seller, and then the seller can contact the customer to update the PayPal address if they are uncomfortable.

With regards to having to resend a package, can I ask in what situation that occurs, as in, is that if you send to the PayPal address instead of the shipping address when the PayPal and shipping address is different?
  • In the three instances this happened their PayPal address was incorrect so it was returned to me by the post office. I then got a hold of the customer or they contacted me and verified the correct address and I reshipping.
    James
  • Okay, understood. I would advise you ship to the shipping address, and if it doesn't match on certain value orders you may want to contact the customer.
  • That is pretty much exactly what I do. :) There are times when I overlook it though and I was just trying to think of a way to minimize any issues. I see your point about not wanting to make it a bad checkout experience and completely agree with you, I guess I will just try to be a little more diligent in checking those addresses.
    James
  • Okay, understood. I would advise you ship to the shipping address,
    But this offers no protection at all to the seller. PayPal terms of service are exact.
    A seller who sends to any other address risks a chargeback.
  • How would shipping to a different address be any different than accepting Stripe?
  • Stripe has no seller protection terms like Paypal does. If you as a seller and shipper want to have a chance of being protected by Paypal, you must follow their rules.

With Stripe, you do your own fighting.
  • If we find "discrepancies" between paypal and shipping adres we look it up on Google and determine if we can find a connection..., It happens (quite often) that someone who orders doesn't have a paypal account themselves..... so they ask a uncle, parent, other friend to pay for them..., if we find the link we ship to BO address, otherwise we would ask the buyer for shipping address confirmation but never needed to go that far....

Then again, we have relative small orders < € 10,- incl. shipping, so this might be different when selling sets etc....
  • BWA, would you guess that people who ask a parent or uncle to pay are underage?
    I don't see anything in the T&C about a minimum age for members, is there one?