Issues with data from order download for tax purposes

@Lawrence

First the issue of tax charged being taken out of the total displayed, rather than added to order subtotal
This is what you get : -

Sub Total 13.24
Ship Total 3.62
Tax Amount 1.50
Payment Total 16.86
Tax Rate 9.75%
With this example above 13.24 + 3.62 + 1.50 = 18.36 which is obviously incorrect

Rather the payment total SHOULD be Sub Total + Ship Total + Tax = Payment Total

What should be displayed

Sub Total 12.06
Ship Total 3.30
Tax Amount 1.50
Payment Total 16.86
Tax Rate 9.75%

I have no idea why its like it is, but it makes life pretty cumbersome, each figure I have to divide by 109.75 then multiply by 100 to get the correct figure. I'm assuming that's the way VAT is worked out? But it seems backwards to me.

Then what is this in reference to?

Order Time Processed Time
1546361145 1546447349

And lastly couldn't we have a simple order date (2019-03-09) rather than whatever "Iso Order Time" is (2019-03-09T15:34:40-05:00) ?

Thanks!

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • One more
    Why is the "Fees" column to FIVE decimal places???
  • I remember talking to @lawrence about this when I first started on here... EU law is the item amount must include ALL taxes, VAT, etc, which is why stuff displays this way on here.

So I made myself an online spreadsheet with tabs and some coding that auto-calcs all this with a button based on the raw order download data (it also fills in my state tax collections and federal tax forms - well, mostly, with the latter for me).

Happy to share it with you, if it'll help, Graham!
  • OFFLINE spreadsheet, I meant - sorry! :-)
  • edited January 2020 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I've reduced the decimal places on the tax amount. With regards to the tax fields, we just provide the raw information, so you can then adapt it to your needs, as the needs will vary by store. Similarly with the timestamps, they include timezone data, as timezones and date formats vary by country. The timestamps in the format of 1546361145 are known as epoch timestamps.
  • @Calibrick thanks, i have a work around, it’s just cumbersome and messy, fortunately I don’t have many instate sales.🧐

@Lawrence Never heard of epoch timestamps - learned something, although how do you interpret them?
    Is there no way to simply have an order date column? I don’t believe the time of day is relevant for any purpose, if it is couldn’t you have a separate column for “time”?
    I don’t have these issues with data from “the other place” not that that is a reason to change, just an observation.

Also has anyone found a way to reconcile Amazon CSV data? I gave up and went thru one by one. If an order is split into multiple shipments or paid using more than one payment method, I end up with multiple entries in excel, one column gives the correct purchase price for multiple shipments, but the same column is incorrect for more than one payment method.

Ultimately all these inconvenience are caused by government theft, we are trying to minimize the loss!😡
  • You can convert epoch time stamps in Excel as follows:

=A1/86400+DATE(1970,1,1)

Where A1 is the cell reference that stores the time stamp.
  • Oh, nice one, Hoddie, thanks!
  • If there’s any other digital dummies (like me) here is some info... what was so special about 1/1/1970 ?

What is the unix time stamp?
    The unix time stamp is a way to track time as a running total of seconds. This count starts at the Unix Epoch on January 1st, 1970 at UTC. Therefore, the unix time stamp is merely the number of seconds between a particular date and the Unix Epoch. It should also be pointed out that this point in time technically does not change no matter where you are located on the globe. This is very useful to computer systems for tracking and sorting dated information in dynamic and distributed applications both online and client side.

What happens on January 19, 2038?
    On this date the Unix Time Stamp will cease to work due to a 32-bit overflow. Before this moment millions of applications will need to either adopt a new convention for time stamps or be migrated to 64-bit systems which will buy the time stamp a "bit" more time.