US Buyers/Sellers: 1/26/20 USPS Price Increase

FYSA, you can download the new pricing lists at https://pe.usps.com/pricechange/index.
The PRC **approved** the changes in December 2019.

This affects First Class Parcel service, priority mail, express mail, etc.

I have attached an image comparing now vs. 1/26/20 First Class Parcel **Commercial** rates as a quick overview (that is what many of us use via PayPal, stamps.com, etc., I would bet). Download the link above for ALL the new rates.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our glorious expensive and inefficient postal service, yearly rewriting an 80+ page book, to simply change the prices by a penny or two.
    Wouldn’t it make more sense to simply adjust prices by a % based on inflation?
    One wonders how many employees (and tax payer $$$$$) this endeavor takes!
    We of course are also paying for Amazon’s sweet deal...
    /rant

Thanks for posting the link tho
  • I totally agree re a percentage increase would make a LOT more sense, Graham (I like your idea of tying to inflation!). That'd be a lot easier to update here in BO, too, since there is a % increase option. We'll have to do this manually again, sigh. :-(
  • I agree with the % change idea, but my question, and it really is a question since I don't know this, is there a cheaper (along with the same level of service) in the world that will deliver a first class letter for $0.55? That is, a letter mailed from Wakieup, AZ (pop 133) to Poughkeepse, AR (pop 400, although I'm doubtful about that) still only costs 55 cents.

Not try to start a big pro/con discussion on the USPS, but I am curious about the costs in the rest of the world and this may be one of the best sample around.

Paul
  • I agree the letter rate is reasonable, as are most first class package services. But why so many price zones, and why keep adjusting prices by a penny or two, some up some down? There doesn’t seem to be any logic behind it.

Now priority mail, parcel select and international is a different story, as an example, it costs me a fraction of the price for a large package sent from Germany, or U.K. than it would cost me to send same two states away.
    For larger parcels UPS ground are 50-70% less than USPS parcel select (ground).

why an 80+ page book for prices? And why so many price bands? The EU is not far off equivalent in size as the US. Correct me if I’m wrong, things may have changed, when I was living in England, there were 3 price bands for parcels - U.K. Europe and rest of world.

When was the last time USPS didn’t end up with a net loss each year? needs to be privatized IMHO, nothing in government is run efficiently!
  • UK has domestic, Europe, World Zone 1 and World Zone 2. Pricing leaflet available in Post Offices is about ten pages long, and this covers most everyday postal needs.
  • @Jay37
    ... if only!
    No surprise the book ISN’T available at the post office, and the pdf is pretty well hidden on the USPS website.