All Assemblies moving to Minibuilds

Two questions, mainly driven by sitting in a customer driver seat:
Will all
Hose-Reel
Wheel-Tire
Hinge
Plate-Wheel-Tire
...assemblies be included?
And, if so, is there a possibility of certain assemblies remaining in their current category with addition to "Minibuild". This with the new customer in mind who finds a category, let's say Vehicle, and goes through looking for various parts including wheels with tire normal pairings.
Or, have we completely misread this- and if so, apologies! :)

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • @Lawrence Could you please define a minifigure? Thanks! Talks of this happening on BL. Would love a proper definition here to guide which ones to create.

Thanks in advance.

Tyson.
  • @leopard37 I've updated the minifigure form to state "Minifigures should be based on images shown on the item packaging, or within the instructions.
    They usually should not include any handheld or hair accessories.". I understand those two sources can vary, I prefer to handle them on a case by case basis, rather than the alternative of a very detailed fixed policy.

@One_Click_Off That is the plan to move all those, but I would be interested to hear any other feedback.

The issue we have is the somewhat arbitrary distinction between "Assemblies" and Minibuilds, where both are just groupings of parts. For me personally, it's clear that things like minifig torsos should include arms and customers would expect to purchase a torso with arms. However, something like a wheel including tyre, I would expect to purchase the two components separately, with the colors/components I need.
  • Ahh I was more wondering what will classify as a minifigure. Are for example droids still minifigures? How about minecraft animals? Thanks for the response.

Tyson.
  • What about turntables? They come separated in new sets, but almost all used ones are bought assembled. Does this count as an assembly or just a part?
  • Thanks, @Lawrence
    For top down searches, this should not have a search fatigue effect- searching terms such as tire, wheel, turntable, reel, hinge, (dinosaur) as long as we, the community, make sure the tags for those assemblies are complete with part's subcategories- ;), will bring up all possible parts and assemblies.
    Nevertheless, the new to LEGO customer may begin with a bottom up search from the "Browse" option, selecting "Parts" then- let's use "Turntable"- being accustomed to certain parts, we know to be two or more distinct parts, coming attached as @vegitt is pointing out. Searching in turntables subcategory will not bring up the assemblies and this customer may think what they are seeing is exhaustive of availability.
    Also, the term "minibuild"- it may not be connotative to all new customers as paired parts or assemblies, but may be confused with small scale builds like with the advent sets or others.
    Comes to mind in trying to view the catalogue from a novice perspective.
  • @leopard37 We are not changing the (unwritten) policy in relation to minifigures

@vegitt When I make the change I will do it on a case by case basis, mainly the announcement is to give those members with software integration some notice to make any necessary changes.

With regards to customers finding items in categories, this is certainly an issue, but the flip side affects things like wishlists/catalog cart. For example the are 3000 or so lots of 3938/3937 and 100 of the parts assembled. This then causes an issue for customers using the withlist or catalog cart as they have to add one or other. Therefore it would be preferable for items like that to be listed seperately.