Paypal Automatic Refunds

I tried one of these the other day and think I noticed somewhat of an issue.

It seems the refund is entered without considering the fee return. If I enter a refund of $2 the customer only gets the percentage of that after the paid fees that are returned to the receiver are taken off the refund amount. I have always disliked having to go through the process of finding the magic number by trial and error or calculator. (a setting I am missing on paypal maybe?)

If I am right, there should be a warning that this is happening or the customers could get a bit short changed. That or change it to do the calculations automatically, as fee percentage can be different depending on the location the payment originated from it is a bit convoluted.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think your customer gets the full $2. But $1.94 comes from your funds while Paypal refunds the other $0.06 from what they charged you. Or something like that.

I wouldn't think sorcery should be involved. If you refund $2, your customer should get $2.

Do you mean through Paypal or Owl?
  • I agree with the above. The customer should get the amount that you specify, most of it comes from you, a little bit comes from PayPal via the fee refund. This should be the same via Brick Owl and via Paypal.
  • I have always disliked having to go through the process of finding the magic number by trial and error or calculator. (a setting I am missing on paypal maybe?)
    If you have been making it so $2 comes out of your account, then you have been refunding to much. As already stated by others, you just type in the amount you want your customer to have. a $2 refund would be something like $1.95ish from you and $0.05ish comes from Paypal fees being refunded. The customer just sees the $2.

Chris
  • edited November 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
  • OK, no matter how many times I have read through this over the years I have never read it right then.

I read it like I was getting the fee portion, not that it was part of the refund. From me thinking I pay the fees on the transfers I guess.

Becoming more obvious every moment... :)

Thanks all, carry on...