Different shades of blue, especially with 2x2 and 2x4 bricks

Hello,
In the collections from the 90s to 2010s I buy I can find randomize bricks 2x2 and 2x4 which have a darker blue than the normal blue. It's far away from dark blue and with some collections there are no dark blue parts in, therefor I assume that this is just a production color variation of the blue. Until today I have found them only with the 2x2 and 2x4 bricks. Therefor I think that this is just a result of one production plant of LEGO.
Today I sort all of these darker blue bricks out, because I think a buyer won't be happy to receive bricks with that significant blue variation.

Does anybody know where and when this blue variation was produced? How do you handle these parts in your stock?

An Image is attached. The 2x4 brick is the "normal" blue and the 2x2 brick is the "darker" blue.

Regards,
Oliver.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That color is known as Brittle Blue, but is mostly not differentiated from standard Blue
  • I,m sure someone with more knowledge than me will tell you where they came from! If you decide to list them for sale you could add a public note as well as a link to this forum.
  • Yep they are brittle blue, named for their fragility. You can tell them from faded or discoloured as the colour is consistant throughout the part. Worth listing as a seperate lot and mentioning brittle blue in the description as there are a few people out there who collect this colour. I've got loads of parts in this colour and several 2x4s now (I collect unusual 2x4s so this colour is interesting to me)..
  • Yes, I've noticed this in older bricks and lots - a bit darker, almost a dark blue-gray cast to them. I actually don't sell them, instead keep or gift them (same with my older whites, reds, and yellows that have that more "flat" appearance). I'm always afraid someone will buy 100/ea in one lot and end up with too many shade variances, otherwise.
  • Hello, Thank you for your answers. This was the way I was thinking about it, it's just a variation. I also sort them out as Calibrick said - a buyer won't be happy with a mix of shades in a lot.

Maybe someone has knowledge about the time period and the location where they have been produced.