Unusual Uses for Unsellable (Trashed) LEGO

I thought it might be fun to see what folks do with LEGO pieces they can't sell or build with (i.e., super chewed up, etc.).

For my part, I've used them to hold LEDs in place in my souped-up ST:TOS Enterprise Bridge model.

What have you used them for?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Wow, that is an extraordinary bridge model. Probably the best mock up I have ever seen! I grew up as a total Trek fan and built many models of Star Trek, including bridge, ships and everything else. But this is amazing! The details are really perfected by your custom lighting! Makes me want to re-purpose half of our LEGO room!
    Scott
  • Thanks, S&D! I can't take all the credit on this one, though - it started with an old AMT model kit, which I then enhanced with third-party photoetch. But I did scratch-build an updated turbolift entry (the model was wrong, it had the door going all the way to the top), the display case, my own lighting design (you can't tell from photos, but a lot of the lights blink and some color shift), carpeting (from foam), and chair upholstery (also from foam).

Admittedly this is the most fun I've ever had with a model, probably the one I've done the most enhancements on. With the LEGO store though, I've had little time to work on models lately (plus I'm lighting all my modular LEGO buildings right now in-between), so my next enhanced model (an enhanced 3-foot M Falcon) has been VERY slow going (still working on the cockpit). :-)
  • Oh, No! Scott saw this?!...
    Now for my response- Been putting interesting, unsellable parts in "time capsules" in the fill part of the MOCs- a few cool but too discolored old grey parts, marbled and stud error bricks, brittle blue.
    D
  • Ooooh, using them as fill as a sort of time capsule in a MOC is a great idea, D! It probably really gives something like a building wall more realistic character (not to mention visual interest).