Example: (US Sellers) Setting Us Shipping Options Using USPS

To our new BO sellers, welcome! We're starting to see new folks come over and asking the same questions all of us had when we started over here, including how to best setup your shipping tables.

BO buyers are highly accustomed to instant checkout over here, so its to your advantage to consider using instant checkout. Most of the catalog includes dimensions and weights, so it's really worth it to just go for it!

But how do you setup all those tables? This is the one area I struggled with very, very much, so really wanted to help save other peopel from going through this.

It's best to start with what others have done and openly shared, which is exactly what I did 1.5 years ago when I opened my store here. But a lot of insured/noninsured options weren't shared back then, so I really had to figure a lot of this out myself.

In the interest of paying it forward, I just opened all my shipping tables for sharing - this will unfortunately only benefit US sellers as I do not ship internationally, but it can give you an example to get started! :-)

Here's what you'll want to understand about how my tables are setup:

1. I generate postage via PayPal, so I benefit from their cheaper commercial rate and free tracking.
2. I offer insured and uninsured options for first class mail, priority mail, parcel select post, and express mail.
3. I force insurance options only for orders $100 in value and greater.
4. I offer the common priority mail and express mail FLAT RATE envelopes/boxed sizes as well as general priority mail and express mail (e.g., packing my own box that is not a flat-rate) options - all of these require different shipping tables as all of these have different max sizes that can fit in those flat rate materials.
5. Ensure you have added dimensions for any items missing dimensions in your store (see your MyStore tab). :-)
6. You'll need to change your rates, not just for however you want to charge shipping, but your zip code zone rates will differ from my zip code rates for any non-flat rate items.
7. I pad my weights, meaning carts weighing 0-3.9 oz get charged a shipping cost 1 oz greater (i.e., 1 oz order gets 2 oz shipping rate); 4.0-9.9 oz get charged 1.5 oz greater shipping cost (i.e., 5.2 oz order is charged 6.7 oz shipping weight), and 10 oz and greater are charged 2 oz higher. This "padding" covers the actual packing material weight (bubble mailer, box), polybags internally, invoice weight, business card, weight, and most importantly accommodates any BO catalog weight errors.

So, if it helps anyone at all, I've shared the following shipping tables I created:

1st Class|$100 Insurance (Shared)
1st Class|$100+ Insurance (Shared)
1st Class|$50 Insurance (Shared)
1st Class|Uninsured (Shared)
Express Padded|$100 Insurance (Shared)
Express Padded|$100+ Insurance (Shared)
Express Z|$100 Insurance (Shared)
Express Z|$100+ Insurance (Shared)
Express|$100 Insurance (Shared)
Express|$100+ Insurance (Shared)
Parcel Ground|$100 Insurance (Shared)
Parcel Ground|$100+ Insurance (Shared)
Parcel Ground|$50 Insurance (Shared)
Parcel Ground|Uninsured (Shared)
Priority Envelope|$100 Insurance (Shared)
Priority Envelope|$100+ Insurance (Shared)
Priority Envelope|$50 Insurance (Shared)
Priority Lg Box|$100 Insurance (Shared)
Priority Lg Box|$100+ Insurance (Shared)
Priority Lg Box|$50 Insurance (Shared)
Priority Mail Z|$100 Insurance (Shared)
Priority Mail Z|$100+ Insurance (Shared)
Priority Mail Z|$50 Insurance (Shared)
Priority Med Box|$100 Insurance (Shared)
Priority Med Box|$100+ Insurance (Shared)
Priority Med Box|$50 Insurance (Shared)
Priority Padded|$100 Insurance (Shared)
Priority Padded|$100+ Insurance (Shared)
Priority Padded|$50 Insurance (Shared)
Priority Sm Box|$100 Insurance (Shared)
Priority Sm Box|$100+ Insurance (Shared)
Priority Sm Box|$50 Insurance (Shared)
And we all have: Request a Quote

And to be clear, mine are nothing great - there's no right or wrong, these are just an example of how you could do this. :-)
I wish you and your new stores great good success here!!!