Stripe Address Verification

Had a small order come through but the stripe message warns that the card used doesn't match the location (IP) and/or the shipping address.

Normally if this was a larger order I'd almost definitely not process it, however, it is small (less than £10).
I have attempted contact with the customer (who is new) but had no response as yet. There may be an innocent reason for the anomaly - this transaction is between UK & ROI.

Thoughts please. Thank you!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's relatively common and usually nothing to worry about. Some people work in one country but live in another, some people maintain houses in more than one country, or have relatives they ship to in order to reduce postage costs. Some large employers will be assigned their own IP address which may not match the physical location of all employees (the European Parliament for example is allocated a Luxembourg IP address but most of their employees work in Belgium, connecting via that Luxembourg IP).

I usually make a judgement call. Belgium/Netherlands = I just process the order. Turkey/Sweden = I ask the customer to explain.
  • If you go too Stripe you can see the address and it sometimes is almost the same as on Brickowl but somewhat failed the Address Verification, I will ship most of these orders without asking.
  • Thanks for the advice.
    The customer did get back to me and all is well.
    It is a case of someone who flits between boarders. Not unusual for ROI, NI and the rest of UK.

Cheers!