Insurance question

Is there any easy way to set up Insurance options? On BL, we have a table that we use where it auto calculates. Right now, I've got things set up to where a buyer can't place an order for more than $249.99, since we require insurance on all packages at $250+. So, the other question is, if there's no band or table we can use, how do you set it up to factor in for different values to calculate correctly - and, can orders be placed for us to invoice, or is it all automatic check-out? (I haven't quite gotten that far yet).

Thanks in advance!

Tracy

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • @brickathon, I have setup exactly what you're looking for... basically just create shipping options for uninsured up to the value you allow (I require insurance for orders over $100), then create additional shipping options with insurance constrained to the value you require it. I also have a third set of options for optional insurance for orders $0-$100.

I've never shared my tables before, but I will right now in case it helps you out - you are in the US too, so they may be helpful (my rates are basically the USPS commercial discounted rate +$0.50 to cover PayPal fees, packing material costs, and invoice printing costs). If you're already aware mea culpa, but if not, you can get discounted USPS shipping rates by buying/printing your postage via PayPal. Note I only sell to the US and APOs, so you'll have to look to others to find shared tables that ship internationally.

The "request a quote" option that you'll find already built into your shipping bands (BO default) is how people can request an invoice. BO is **VERY** instant checkout-driven though. So my store is setup so that anyone can request an invoice at any time, but also have options for the First Class Mail rate insured or uninsured, or Priority Mail, or overnight, all based on the cart weight.

If you want to see how that works live, feel free to add item(s) to a cart in my store and start to checkout to get to the shipping option point (then dump the cart before actually ordering <s>).
  • I have just added info on my tables, etc., at https://www.brickowl.com/forum#/discussion/9071/example-us-sellers-setting-us-shipping-options-using-usps/p1?new=1, I hope this helps you and other newer sellers over here, @BrickAThon !
  • Thank you, I'll take a look at this, this week, and am hopeful that this works! On BL it's pretty easy (now), but the issue I have there is that now the table is charging people wrong (completely) and when it shouldn't...::sigh::...and the help desk doesn't seem to care (not surprising).

Best,

Tracy
  • Ugh, I'm so so sorry to hear that, Tracy! On the plus side, you can mod the prices on a shared table (or really, change anything) to anything you want, so you have control over here! :-) It's just a PITA to setup initially, is all.