What is your favorite type of sale?

As the title says, what is your favorite deal you have ever seen or took advantage of on websites. Example would be free shipping, free items with your order, x% off, etc. etc.

I know some people prefer free shipping over a percentage off, and vice versa depending on the savings. Of course everyone wants the best deal and to save the most, but this post is for your personal preferences and most loved deal/sales.

My favorite type of sale is free shipping. This is why I recently bought from Thor, he had a free shipping sale. I am a sucker for these types of sales.

Chris

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ques I would be a a-typical buyer..., (had the same kind of discussion at work today)....,

I hardly buy something because it is/seems cheap/or a good deal..., I purchase as needed (and it can be delivered) price then becomes secondary....,

In general loyalty programs (i.e. airmiles, stamps, brickconnections(?) would give a better incentive...,

BTW: free shipping sale? with our avg.order amount, a very bad idea....,

Jeroen
  • I guess I'm not typical- I don't buy anything online if I can get it locally.

Specific lots of Lego elements and some other items are only available online, or at least aren't available where I live, so I shop online when I need specific items. Lab glass is another example, I can't just swing by and pick up a friedrich condensor at the corner store.

So having the right price at the right time- including s+h as stated in clear terms, is what gets my order. Offering free stuff on top of my order isn't normally going to generate the initial order, 'free' shipping might or might not.
  • 10+ % off average sold + actual shipping cost.
    This seems realistic enough :)

Isabel
  • 10+ % off average sold + actual shipping cost.
    This seems realistic enough :)
    You describe my store in general. :)

http://dagsbricks.brickowl.com/

Brian

• anything that includes a free lego astrid is my ideal sale , 8->
  • 10% off what? or 10% discount on avg for sale? (so you are below avg) how to keep track?
    If we all did this, in the end Lego would be available for free....
    Don't you run the risk off selling below cost...?

NB: we "charge" actual shipping + packaging... on small orders it's the only way to get some return on "investment".
  • 10% off what? or 10% discount on avg for sale? (so you are below avg) how to keep track?

The OP question was of a favourite type of sale, not most common really placed :)

I buy mostly sets, so I look for sales.
    I rarely buy parts for my specific purposes, I have a large collection of my own bricks to cover my needs.

Best,
    Isabel
  • You weren't quoting me but I'll reply anyway. I very carefully choose which sets to part out that have a high enough built in return on their value. My bubble mailers cost $0.20 and my baggies cost $0.01 or less. I can easily afford to list parts for 10% below average sale price and still double my money even considering fees.

Now could I triple my money or reduce my costs from overhead and other fees? Probably. But I wouldn't charge a packing fee, I'd just bump my prices up slightly and still be under average. I never claimed to be a business man who knows strategy but since I keep a spreadsheet I can track my costs and see what works for me.

Brian
    Don't you run the risk off selling below cost...?

NB: we "charge" actual shipping + packaging... on small orders it's the only way to get some return on "investment".
    I have to add ;)

In my store I keep the prices above the average - some items are quite expensive, some for still decent price.
    Thus, according to your statement above, I am the perfect seller here - well, welcome to my store! :D

Best ;)
    Isabel
  • It seems we all "run" our store differently... (which is good). The only "new"sets we buy are either presents to the kids... (3 so...) which end up in the sell pile anyway or "unsorted" batches at flea markets, Inet, bootsales or where ever..., we take out the parts for our projects and put up the rest for sale..., This way it gets hard to have a good purchase price since some batches might contain a complete mr. gold.....

We used to work with used 6 months avg sales as our listing price (when adding items) ... since the switch we haven't added items, (but still have 3m3 to list (and growing) but are overwhelmed by orders and taking inventory, also not sure how to price newly listed items..., but this seems all off topic...:)

Anyway, discount in our store is in general 23%. but is motivated by US/EUR conversion.