Setting up Shipping Methods

Hello, I am a new seller on Brickowl (although I have been an active seller on another platform for some time). I am still trying to figure out how best to set up my store on Brickowl and may have some questions as go along. First, is this the proper topic to use for that?

Now the question that prompted my first post here. I noticed that when shopping for items, I see that most other stores show a shipping cost or at least an appropriate shipping cost. However my inventory items have no shipping cost indicated but instead has a note saying "Request a Shipping Quote." In my store settings under shipping methods I think I have found where to set up shipping methods, but I am a bit confused about how to set up the Band information. Can anyone give me some guidance.

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Welcome fellow US seller! What is really great is that BO has setup the shipping bands for our country to align with the USPS's zip code zones (they link to a USPS API to get the zip code zones), so you can offer very accurate shipping costs based on weight (then amended however you are doing it, e.g., many folks don't charge actual costs I've noticed).

To setup shipping, go to My Store > Settings > Shipping Methods.

When I did mine, I calculcated my rates offline first based on weight, e.g., 0-2 oz = X, 2.1 oz - 3oz = X (if we're using a first class mail example), so that when I set it up here on BO, it was just a matter of data entry (you can download the shipping rates at usps.com, just do a search). If you are printing shipping labels via PayPal, you can use the lower, commercial shipping rate tables.

From the shipping methods tab, you can look at any preset US methods other sellers have created and share publicly, or create your own. If creating your own, select "normal custom method", give it a name, select if you are going to have your store apply that method to a store based on the order's weight or the order's value, and go from there... :-)

I hope this helps a little bit!

R,
    Sandy
  • edited November 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    So to zero in on bands... bands apply based on if you created a method based on weight or based on value. Then the USPS zones come into play.

So if you look at my shipping page at https://calibrick.brickowl.com/page/shipping, it really mirrors how I setup my bands by weight, then applying a rate based on the zone - all of that information comes from USPS commercial rate tables plus a small amount I amend it to cover the weight of the packaging.

So look at it this way: If someone orders 1 oz of parts, they should not pay the 1 oz weight shipping cost: your packing material, potentially including a sheet of paper for an invoice, a business card, etc., adds onto the weight. In this scenario, in my store, the buyer is paying the 2 oz shipping cost (I have calcs setup to charge a 2oz rate to anything that weighs 1.5 oz or less) to cover the bubble mailer, biz card weight).

I found it easiest to build an excel sheet offline that calcs all this out so I can translate it into BO what I'm really going to charge, since the store cart is based 100% on part weight only.

It seems like a PITA, but you only have to do it once... :-) Then it's just updating for any USPS price increases.
  • Sandy,

I really appreciate all the information you provided. The link to your shipping page was particularly helpful. I think I was able to get the zones and bands set up, at least in a basic manner. I will study your setup as well as others and tweak it some more going forward. Thanks again.

Mike
  • It shouldn’t take an entire month to receive an order. It’s unacceptable and should be disclosed before a customer places an order.
  • @Marc Suraci Depending on your location and where you ordered from a month is not out of the ordinary. Agreed a same country order should be much faster, but some postal services are known for their lack of speed.

Tyson.
  • My pleasure, Nologo! I wish someone had given me this info when I started, lol - I'm all for saving someone else from going through it! :-)
  • I am trying to set up a store but cannot figure out how to set to just ship within USA. It is so confusing, I thought I had it figured out but listing said does not ship to US. Other things I have tried question the currency payments. Hoping someone can help me
  • I am guessing you resolved it, @Tinktacoma ? I go to your store and it does show shipping to the US (though your store is closed right now). :-) Just a heads-up, if you're using USPS, they are merging FCPS and Parcel Select Ground, the latter of which rates are going up next Sunday. Good luck on your new store!
  • @Tinktacoma your store shows that it does not ship to Great Britain so I'm guessing it would say the same for all other countries.