Primary Images

Why are photos going into the catalog as secondary images and the computer generated images remaining primary?

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There are different priority levels for different image types, if you are referring to the part pictures, Lego renders are usually of higher clarity so they take priority at the moment over user submitted pictures. They get higher priority over LDraw renders and minifigure composites for example.
  • Alright, then. I think I have been going about this the wrong way. I thought if I saw a LEGO rendering, you wanted a user-submitted photo to replace it, such as:

http://brickowl.com/catalog/lego-plate-1-x-2-3023-6225

So as I have been filling orders, or parting sets, I've been snapping pictures of the parts that only have the LEGO version in the catalog.

What it sounds like now is that if I see parts with only the LEGO rendering, don't waste my time replacing those. Instead, focus on minifigures and parts with missing pictures.
  • I apologise for the miscommunication, previously I was more against the Lego renders but I've warmed to them overtime. At the moment, the priority would be items missing pictures, then mini figures, then parts with bad pictures, then anything.
  • edited November 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    And I guess there's no concern over copyright or we wouldn't be using them in the first place?
  • Within TLG's fairplay policy.
  • if i take a photo of a photo and upload my photo of the original photo does my photo infringe the copyright of the first photo ? :-?
  • If you scan a book and print the scan, does it infringe on copyright?
  • If a tree falls in the forest ...
  • Agreed that Lego renders c/should be leading..., but then a (for us logical) conclusion would be..., the subpics in different colors can be easily generated from the basic Lego file..., this does not seem to be the case..., for example LEGO Starfish (33122), the main pic is a Lego rendering we guess, but the med.orange version is a picture (uploaded by us).

Although happy to see our poicture is used, wouldn't it be easier/faster/more uniform to just make the rendered picture available in that color?
    Or does BO want to have the picture as "proof" that an item exists in a certain color?
    (and if so, maybe just submit the pic to BO and they render it after accepting the proof).

Just some thoughts....
  • edited November 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @BWA

There are multiple sources for rendered pics.

The starfish ones I believe are from the replacement parts pages, at least are used there. I think because there is limited selection this causes some parts not to automatically get an image.

For these I don't think there is source files to render ourselves.

That said I figured out LDraw the last couple weeks and how to render things made with that program. (Entering the Ldraw numbers should pull in basic renders automatically if I understand things right, starfish is 33122 the same as the part #)

Viewing a saved file with LDView you can take snapshots from any angle you want in basic rendering.

Take it another step and you can get a very good render with POVRay and set up the lighting nicer than many of the basic imports. I did these recently

test
    http://brickowl.com/catalog/lego-technic-axle-joiner-rectangular-with-spring

There is LLD as a source program as well for basic renders, I have only had that installed for a few days... The starfish is in there and you can make any colour. You can export to LDraw, sort of buggy, and get to the LDView preview then.

Sooo there are lots of simple to more difficult ways of getting a group of parts rendered consistently, or nicely filled in gaps, without needing all the colours in hand.

Joe
  • @Joe and admin.. (and others off course....:) )

I would love concistantcy in the items displayed..., if you have a rendered pic from either TLG, LDraw, displaying them in any color isn't the issue...., question is did Lego ever made the items in that specific color?

Most items are obvious, (the came from modern sets), but I happen to have some plates modified (1x2) with ladder in Tan that I have not been able to match to Lego's production...., so maybe sent in a pic to the Bo admin and if it is accepeted as "proof" they will render it? (in TAN)