Abounding Conflict Theatres- PTSD- LEGO now is known as part of the cure

It's great to be part of something that is bigger than yourself.
The US Veterans' Association of mental health professionals are treating returning and retired Veterans and recognize the anxiety-reducing and curative effects of doing something productive/constructive, and by who knows what Providential Wisdom, have begun suggesting building LEGO sets to those suffering from PTSD, anxiety, and depression. Many of those who are currently in treatment have never done anything with LEGO and are now buying new and older sets to begin their venture.
We currently serve them in our PTSD research also - mainly in Blue Light- when and how much, among other things.
Just great to see the value of LEGO also in place to give curative benefit to those who have served.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That is AMAZING news - I totally see how that can help. It takes a level of focus to achieve and provides instant gratification in seeing results that YOU control. I think the peace of LEGO and construction can support numerous health (physical and psychological) challenges.

That is how I fell into LEGO also (from the curative effects of doing something constructive and *distracting*). LEGO is fantastic for pain management (I have a ton of surgical damage due to one of my several auto-immune diseases). Once I started playing in 2012, that was it, it was all over (financially, lolol)... ;-) I still bounce between LEGO, model kit building, and err counted cross stitch (still a girl despite my geeky habits <S>), all of which provide terrific distraction to help get through a worse-than-usual (physically) day.
  • @Calibrick
    Is there a Geek-O-Meter?
    Right: counted cross stitch... and model kit building... don't qualify
    Cleaning, sorting, categorizing, condition grading, and catalogue listing 15 to 20K of small LEGO parts-
    Does
    Guilty
    LOve it and LoVe BrickOwl

No Pain but glad you have relief for yours!!!!
    :)
  • Oh, I'd say model-kit building definitely qualifies! When you spent six months scratch-building improvements to the ST:TOS bridge model kit, including carpeting and upholstering the chairs, and designing your own custom lighting and case for it, that has got to rank somewhere on the geek-o-meter, lol. ;-)

Yeah... counted cross stitch not so much, that is the girl in me. ;-) And totally agree re LEGO, all of us on here are cheerful partners-in-geek! <g>