Site translation

For fun I just switched the site language to Dutch. It's pretty bad Dutch, inconsistent, and some phrases are plain nonsensical and need to be translated back to English in order to understand them. Do we really need it? Is anyone using it? I think the site would look more professional if it'd just be chucked, but that's my opinion :)

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited October 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    You can ask Lawrence to enable the lang editing tool for you ;)

Edit: I just tried Spanish and yeah, I could help improving these translations too @Lawrence
  • We certainly agree the machine translations are poor, but for non-English speakers we prefer to have a poor translation rather than no translation. If you'd like to correct translations we can enable this for your as Stellar mentions
  • edited October 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    To be honest, I think in the case of Dutch it is better to have no translation.. I even saw some phrases that mean pretty much the opposite of what is intended due to the way some key verbs like "may" or "must" are translated, and how the English gerunds are rendered into Dutch. It's a great way to get very confused very quickly. Many phrases are gibberish and since Dutch word order is very different from English, I am not sure it would be possible to translate sentences that are built up from variable phrases into Dutch.

I don't know if Google is involved, but I think there's something going on with Dutch and Google - many languages translate very well on Google translate, but many Dutch sentences often turn into complete gibberish. Maybe this is because virtually all Dutch speakers speak English, so it has no priority.

..which is also why I'd advice removing Dutch. Other languages may be useful, but even my late grandma spoke better English than what is rendered here. So it doesn't really add anything in terms of intelligibility. From what I've noticed, Dutch people generally seem prefer installing software in English rather than Dutch even when the translation isn't bad.