Cart Expiration

Does anyone know how long Active Carts / Quotes stay active before expiring. I'm told by Lawrence that they stay open for months, but not specific on how many months. What is the logic of keeping Carts / Quotes open for so long? Why not close if no action in one week?

Granted it doesn't lock down my inventory, and I can just learn to ignore the Active Cart number as meaningless.

Comments?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Wondered about this myself. I've always thought of active carts and page views like people shopping in a supermarket. Browsing the 'shelves' are the page views and putting things in a 'trolley' becomes an active cart. I guess people might want to compare multiple active carts, both here and possibly BL (although I'm not sure if a similar process is in effect over there), and this could take time. To a degree they are an indicator of activity in your store but ultimately it's the orders that matter.
  • I am fine with it as it is.

As a buyer I have carts open almost a year for some things that I might order some day or not...
    As a seller I don't mind, if the number goes up then I know more people are interested in my items.
    If it goes down lets hope it is because they finally placed the order =)

Sergio
    Stellar Bricks
  • Probably like many others here, I want more items than I have the money to purchase...so I load up carts in stores with all those items I'd like to buy, then wait for the next month's paycheck to arrive. I'll generally pick the store either with the parts I highly prioritize or the most parts for the money I have to spend, then buy from that store or stores. All the other carts stay in the queue until the next purchasing opportunity arrives...

For some reason, many German stores seem to automatically empty my carts on a fairly regular basis (about every 1-2 months). I have notifications enabled from my wishlists, and when items arrive in those stores I'm always amazed to see that the carts no longer exist or that all the item quantities in my carts have been reset to 0. When I look at the stores' inventories, all those parts are still in the stores, just not in my carts (so it's not like they have sold all the parts I had in my carts). Or is the turnover in those stores so massive and they also immediately can replace all their stock in the stores from fresh sources?

Does this have to do with synching inventories or some other manipulation of the sellers' inventories? Not a huge deal, but I'm curious why it's always the German stores which do this to my carts. I have carts from several other countries that have been active for more than a year with no such issues.
  • Some stores relist stock to appear on notifications more often.
  • I'm not aware, as a seller, of a way to empty an active cart either manually or automatically. I know that an item in Customer A's active cart can be purchased by Customer B and Customer A's cart will adjust accordingly. That said I don't sell on BL so is this linked to functions on syncing software?