Another stupid question from me!!!!

I have a few lego technic axle to list. Am I right if I have an axle which is approx 4cms long would actually be axle 4 item number 3705? Know this sounds stupid but I just want to check. Also I thought the colours I have are medium stone grey but the only colour close listed is light grey so (again a stupid question) does that mean that Lego do not make MSG in axles?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi!
    Axles are measured by stud length. Therefore, a 4 is the same length as a 1 x 4 plate.
    Looking with you and right, only Light Gray listed in greys...
    Do you have an old light gray to compare?
  • In my experience, if the color is not already listed here OR on a second site (you have got to validate it if you don't own the source set it came from in some way I've learned the hard way), it more likely than not wasn't produced in the color it appears. I'd venture that's the case 99% of the time for modern parts (unless a new color literally just came out and the API hasn't loaded the info yet), and that % drops a LOT for older parts (e.g., 1980s and earlier).

It seems like on here, a color entry is only generated if someone added the part to a set listing in X color. While the modern set part lists here appear to rock as they pull straight from LEGO's API, the older set listings vary from empty to only some common parts listed to just one or two of their inventory items that someone happened to want to sell.

MSG and LG are my color nemesis - they are difficult enough to tell apart sometimes as it seems like the earlier MSG color pours still had a tinge of brown to them in some plastics (e.g., technic pins). My eyes are just super, super challenged on these unless the lighting is very bright, LED, and perfect. Its painful. :-(
  • axle 3705 exists in medium stone gray. There were two in the V-wing fighter (set 6205).
  • @Aladine I've checked a few inventories of the V-wing fighter and there are only two Black 3705 axles, not Medium Stone Gray ones. I've attached the inventory page from the set instructions:
    22.jpg 135.2K
  • Original poster mentioned that their axle is 4 cm long. Axles are measured by stud length which is 0.8 cm. So this would be an axle 5 item number 32073. And that axle is very common in medium stone grey.
  • Thank you all for your replies.
    @paulvdb that explains it then. It is def 4cms long so think you have solved it for me. I was sure it was MSG as some of the other parts I have here waiting to be listed.
    @One_Click_OffThat is a very helpful tip which I will remember about axles measures by stud length - I learn something new every day.
    Thanks again all
  • @WESTIEKATH , glad the studs info helped- would be nice if that kind of basic info to help us all was out there somewhere accessible.
    [We have lots of smart kids doing all sorts of cool LEGO stuff but Mimi blew their minds with that one- gotta take your wins where you can get them :) ]
  • Tom Alphin to the rescue! Download his awesome Brick Measuring and Sorting Tool here:
    http://tomalphin.com/2014/02/lego-ruler-and-sorting-tool.html
  • Thanks, @Pikka , the printable version is amazing- Saved to downloads- DONE
  • BTW, @WESTIEKATH, I am a firm believe in that there is no such thing as a stupid question! :-)
  • @pikka, what a find that is! Thank you sooooo much for sharing, I love that! <3