What's in Your Inventory?

Beginning a personal challenge to upload images for the 8 parts that don't have one, which are already listed for sale in our store.
In addition, have a small Pick-A-Brick cup going with 17 (!) parts that have never been placed on inventories, albeit a lot of stickered parts, thereby Alternates for sets.
Our personal challenge, should you wish to join, is to complete all these pictures for submission within one week.

Comments

• 44 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What a great challenge, @One_Click_Off! I'll join this weekend, I believe I only have about six items left missing dimensions and weight (everything I sell has images now, finished that off recently).

Who else will join us? ;-)
  • Gauntlet...Down, you Rock, @Calibrick !- you have already been a superStar at images. Dimensions it is then, at least, for you all. Our number is 25 item images, so we'll see how we fare. Shall we weight Dimensions versus Images? Could get interesting...
  • Wow.. I have over 400 different items missing images... along with several minifigures that could get updated images. I haven't done much with pictures lately because the lighting in the house is awful and always gives the background a yellowed look. But I just ordered a light tent which came yesterday so I'm going to be trying that out within the next couple of days. But I don't think I'll get all the pictures done in a week....
  • So, you're IN?
    Bet your lighting tent wins out on the inclusion side...the 25 images we will do are no doubt likely duplicates within your 400...
  • So I'm down to 375 to get done in a week? :) I'll set my goal to 50 and see if I can hit that, plus updating all the collage pictures of the minifigs I have.
  • I would like to start filling in stuff to but same here with camera misrepresenting colors but i could do weight in the like is there a quick how to video somewhere? I also find the grays and tans very annoying as the look the same color depending on part for lots of Brick owl pictures.
  • @Bulkbrickvault while Brickowl does not want us to submit pictures that aren't ours (such as the images from bricklink), it does not say anything about that for weights. I personally awhile back just went through and submitted the weights that bricklink had for several of the pieces here. You could do the same. I don't know if that's considered "cheating" :) but since I don't have a scale specific enough to get my own weights, that's the best I could do.
  • Hi, @Bulkbrickvault , we just did a response on another thread for submitting but here's the skinny:
    On any item you search and get a catalogue page, look to the bottom for the flags on buy, colors, comes in, sell. and then look for "Edit"
    Select this and a whole new array appears below with things like "image" and "dimensions"
    click on these and go to town!
    Try to set up a picture with a combination of white background materials, lighting above, and natural sunlit window adjacent- can sometimes do the trick for photographing with minimal shadowing and color alterations.
    When doing a part not in the inventory already, go to the set catalogue listing and click on inventory, then begin the edit process to include "alternate" items like those that are stickered parts of this same set but not already in the main BO inventory.
    Hope this helps!
  • @firestar246
    looks like we all have differing things to submit so lets put together a point system.
    You are a star at minifigs so can't be too much for them or on an honor system of points you would win hands down. How about:
    10 pts. Set or part dimensions
    5 pts. Minifig assembled image
    3 pts. Catalogue item primary image
    4 pts. not yet in Catalogue primary image

Help
  • Sounds fair enough. Now I just have to remember to keep track. :)
  • And winner gets what? A virtual high five from everyone else?
  • Thought about that, but hey, I am definitely not giving up my original DeLorean with spelling mistake Flux Capacitor but...I do have another that is being parted out in my store- go figure- who would think they would ever have two of something they never knew existed...
    okay, take a breath, No, no real prize but to say you are the Best of the Best!...and we would all know it! Should be enough, right?
  • Yeah, that's fine. Though I still would like a virtual high five if I win. :D
  • You got it! but let's look out for those silent runners coming up behind us that may pass us at High Noon (sorry, Wild West Arizona time...the time our challenge was accepted by @Calibrick ) next Wednesday when we report on submissions!
  • I will cheerfully virtually high five everyone who does at least ONE catalog edit of some kind (and a virtual hug if you do at least TEN edits of some kind), how about that? ;)
  • Superlative prize...and just doing a little digging on the items we have that don't have images...wouldn't you know, some also don't have dimensions- how are sellers selling these?
    We have flat rate shipping, but if we didn't, would have to address this "tout suite" otherwise, things remain in unsold inventory!
    We are hoping for just "Consolation Prize" for adding images or dimension for 100% of those needing it in current For Sale status!- If we have it listed for Sale then we need to make sure it is "Saleable"- is that a word? :/ ...Sellable ...no, doesn't like that one either... :p
  • Hey, do we get any points for alternate images? I added a few of the backside of some torsos. I was thinking maybe 1 or 2 points.
  • 2 points sound reasonable- Yay, You!
  • So, Scott was on his "3-Point Lighting" technique on Saturday morning. Wish our iPhones didn't resort to sepia tones if placing too close to an item to photograph but understood to offset the intense LED above...
    I did all the research, going through 50 pages of stickers to just identify which sets our stickered parts, not yet listed as Alternates in sets, were.
    Think we are finished- now with our "Tasks" box not showing "Items needing Images" any longer.
    We have the same problem with dimensions that a lot of people do- our scale just doesn't go low enough to do decimal points for grams...Ugh!
    Interesting that we saw emails of "accepted for submission" this weekend- do you think the BrickOwl catalogue administrator knew we would be flooding them with entries and images?
    Anyway, High Noon, Wednesday is the cut-off and we may still research a few things but...

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS TAKEN ON THIS CHALLENGE!
    ...and to you Silent Runners, really hoping you will show us how it's done! Go, You!

Calculations coming Wednesday, Tombstone OK Corral noon time!
    D
  • Im actually off work for a couple of days this week so if the challenge is still on count me in :) but I can see I don't have much time left but ;) still I will try and get up as many as I can.
  • Super!!! @WESTIEKATH
    we just found two more without image stickered parts that we thought we "LOST"- ugh, now have to add images to have no "tasks"
    Again just submits, don't actually have to be accepted. Hope that helps!
  • Well, I don't think I'm going to be submitting anything more today so I'm going to record my score right now before I forget. :)

Minifig assembled image: 13 (65 points)
    not yet in Catalogue primary image: 33 (132 points)
    Alternate images: 12 (24 points)

Total points: 221

Seeing as how only 3 of my pics got rejected because of the angle I took them at, I think the light tent is working. Great job to everyone else who helped edit the catalog! Let's get it finished!

*virtual high five to everyone*
  • @firestar246 , Great stats- and Great images- saw your new pics on the homepage, yes, your light tent is working!

We have finished submitting as well:

Dimensions: 2 (20 points)
    not yet in Catalogue primary image: 16 (64 points) - includes 7 new catalogue entries

Total points: 84

Really hear what @Bulkbrickvault is saying about the tans and grays. It is even our pet peeve with lavendar and flesh tones, where the LEGO image provided shows the lighter versions darker than the dark- these really need some photo images especially in bricks and plates- has got to be confusing to buyers...

Only have one reject and that seems to really be a catalogue item duplication problem- we will get to addressing this after some research viewing set pictures and the corresponding build pages on instructions.

Yes, Let's get this finished! So, @firestar246 , how many more "Items missing Images" are in your task box? ;)

Total, Virtual HIGH FIVE for these submissions!
  • @One_Click_Off looks like I got 391 still. I've been adding a bunch of torsos the last week to my store, and I guess several don't have pics so it's been keeping my number high. I still got quite a bit of work to do. :)
  • Why, @firestar246 , you would beat the pants off us in minifigs in this competition- :p
    It was really @Calibrick that inspired us to look at adding images, plus the fact that we are primarily buyers: Sandy stated in another thread, how adding an image after a listing languished for over a year, drove a "buy", and that MOC builders (that's us) are inspired by an image...can't tell you how many MOC obsessions have come from seeing single stickered tile or other part, but, she is correct!
    @Calibrick pic of the VW camper tile with a sticker has us wanting to now do a Hippie apartment on the top floor of the Detective's Office City set.
  • @One_Click_Off . Several of the torsos sold within a couple days after adding the pics, so yeah, good pics is definitely a necessity for sellers. Nobody is going to buy something if they don't know what it looks like.

I have the Detectives Office in my personal collection, would love to see the apartment if you ever build it. :)
  • ...and @firestar246 did you get the "would beat the pants off us" for your torsos... ;)
  • I too wish to upload some images but have run into a problem with one. When there are two entries for a brick 1 x 4 in the same colour - how do I know which one is which? Set in question is 8158.
  • @One_Click_Off , I LOVE the idea of a hippie apartment, that would just be completely and utterly groovy!!!!

@1271.moggy I'm guessing you mean when there are two entries for the same part that are stickered without an image, so you don't know which is which. Is that correct? If so, I have run into that many times. :-(

There are a couple of things you can do... you can email the BO IDs to brickowl.com and ask Lawrence which is which so you know which one applies to the photo you want to upload (he usually responds pretty fast, within 24 hours). If you're antsy and don't want to wait, I've looked at who is selling each item, looking to see if they also BL sellers, , and seeing what image they're showing on BL for that part to figure out which they actually are.
  • @1271.moggy we see Exactly what you are saying that there are two (!) unpictured 1 x 4 bricks with stickers! Best to get the sticker data first from the sticker sheet of all that need to be applied to 1 x 4 bricks - and to those sellers who asked for an item (stickered) to be included in the catalogue- would have been helpful to give an image...
    These are most likely two different stickered parts and only Admin knows what sticker for sure- go with.
    We also found a duplicate listing during this venture to provide images, one roughly described and imaged, and the other, coming from LEGO, more accurately completed. Used the edit panel to ask for deletion of the first, and it was completed.
    @Calibrick 's suggestion of an email to ask for info, then, submit your own image of the part in question, and the other goes without image, unless of course, You have Both, then, Yay, You!
    @Calibrick - you are always an inspiration to Us! Ordering soon...
  • Thank you for your advise. I have now emailed BO, to ask for confirmation, but in the mean time I will check the sellers to see if they are on BL and try and figure it out from there. Thank you once again.
  • Well I failed miserably - not one single image - so much for my free days - was called into work every single day grrrrr. Never mind I am sure everyone else managed some. I will put some up soon though :-)
  • @WESTIEKATH , nevertheless, we were urged on by You- So Thanks! Looking at the submissions that week: Some Silent Runner posted an endless array of new submissions and pics ....without items available for sale.......still don't know who that was, but they would have won the competition for sure!
  • @One_Click_Off yes I noticed that too - strange. My only explanation is that they took their items from their own personal collection - well done them I say. It really helps to see pics etc when your unsure of the item you have. As my employer slogan states - Every little helps :D :D :D
  • I was able to contribute more recently this weekend breaking up the Power Burst sets, and taking pics/dimensions of the Trans Orange and Trans Blue pieces (I don't own the Trans Green, though, sigh)... I did also submit an inventory breakdown for the single set listing here on BO, too, so hopefully that will help a bit selling those newer super hero parts!
  • Sigh.. I've been too busy lately to get anymore pictures. Perhaps come spring.
  • @Bulkbrickvault , have you been able to adjust lighting to put up some images on those pesky LEGO colours?
    @firestar246 you and @Calibrick have done so much so far- really, really appreciate all that is now in the catalogue contributed by you!
    We still have a personal challenge to upload an image of anything we list for sale that doesn't already have one, but @Bulkbrickvault we are still vexed by the medium stone gray being darker than dark stone gray and the same with tan and dark tan having opposing shades of darkness...
    @Calibrick doing a whole set is so awesome! The time it takes to discuss that you did this in no way calculates the time it really took to Do That!
  • I have several bricks with stickers that are not showing on those bricks and their respective sets. I took pics, but I don’t see where we add images for stickered bricks. I searched forum and don’t see any guidelines on this. Sorry if it is right in front of me and I’m not seeing how. I’m fairly new.
  • Hi, it's pretty straightforward to add stickered parts. Firstly go to the main catalog entry for the part (for example 3001, 2x4 brick), then click on the edit tab. Then under 'Actions' you should see an option to create a stickered version. Click this and a new tab will open which will allow you to add a description (for example "2x4 brick with Grille sticker" - you would only need to add "Grille" into the text field), information regarding the set it appears in, the quantity, the colour and an image if you have taken one (plus other relevant info if you have it). Once you've submitted it, it can take a few days to approve but you will only hear from admin if there's any issues.
  • I followed @Jay37 instructions for several stickered items. I’ve now run across one that I don’t see the option to create a stickered version. It has option to create sticker sheet, but not stickered version. https://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-minifigure-speech-bubble-smooth-edge-right
    Can someone look at this and tell me if I’m just overlooking something? I don’t do this very often and it is easy for me to miss some step or overlook something. Thanks!
  • Hmm... If I had to guess I think it's because the item is categorized as LEGO Gear, rather than Part. Could just be a long standing error that hasn't come to light until now.

If you go to the edit tab and select 'Other', you can change from 'Gear' to 'Part'. Add a little note for admin to explain why you think it needs changing. Looks like it's already inventoried in the respective packs (which are correctly down as Gear), so fingers crossed there shouldn't be any problem to get it changed (he says, inching nonchalantly away, whistling a merry tune... ;-))
  • That's now been changed