Inventory mysteriously duplicated

I recently had my account suspended for non payment (bricklink), I swiftly made payment and upon my store opening I was welcomed to the surprise my Inventory doubled all listings are listed twice. As you can Imagine this is a nightmare to fix one at a time is there a way to go back in time or a master command of sorts to delete all duplicate listings? Any help would be greatly Appreciated.. I also have bricksync and that may have had something to do with it?

Comments

• 38 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Type "sync" in BrickSync, with the BL store opened, and let it sort out the mess.

Explanation: a closed store on BL appears to have an empty inventory as seen from the API... and BrickSync tried to fix it.
  • Unfortunately that didn't work, I think I made the mistake of brick sync on and off before I noticed the error as I was adding to my inventory when my store was back online and after adding a few items started to notice double listings I then checked inventory item total and knew what happened.
    Could I delete my bricklink store and load it from back up from brick sync file before my store reopened and doubled up?
  • note: this was bricklink store that closed and reopened not brick owl
  • Also both stores have been affected because of bl on and off command If I fix bricklink than a sync will fix Owl but going through and correcting 1,000 of listings manually is going to be a nightmare, there has to be a easier way using brick sync backups
  • SO what if I delete my brick link store emptying it than delete all bricksync backup after the mistake occurred would sync pull the latest dated backup and repopulate bricklink store? ie it happened yesterday around noon so if I use my back up at 2AM that day and delete all backup dated and time stamped after that wouldn't sync use the 2am file to repopulate the same file that yet wasn't affected by the double inventory problem? if that makes sense?
  • Start Bricksync
    blmaster on
    Make absolutely sure your BL inventory is correct
    blmaster off
    wait for BS to do its thing

or, if you have a backup BrickStock file that you know is correct

Start Bricksync
    blmaster on
    Delete all inventory except 1 obvious part you can remove later
    blmaster off
    add <backup file>
    blmaster on
    Delete the obvious part you left previously
    blmaster off

or

Start Bricksync
    Copy the master BS file to a temporary file
    sub <that file>
    Verify your BO/BL stores are empty, removing any stray lots
    add <backup file>

or

Start Bricksync
    invblxml <backup file>
    blmaster on
    Delete your inventory on BL
    Find the XML files created by invblxml in your BS directory (will look like blupload000.xml.txt)
    Upload these to BrickLink in the usual way
    blmaster off

Any of these should replace your inventory here on BO with the correct one.
  • Alternatively, you could subtract a backup just prior to duplication, leaving the duplicated copy plus your blmaster changes.

sub data/path_to_the_appropriate_backup.bsx

And thanks Hoddie :)
  • Start Bricksync
    blmaster on
    Delete all inventory except 1 obvious part you can remove later
    blmaster off
    add <backup file>
    blmaster on
    Delete the obvious part you left previously
    blmaster off

add <backup file>
    So that is just the number of the file under bricksync/data/backups? that was unaffected by the doubling?
  • Alternatively, you could subtract a backup just prior to duplication, leaving the duplicated copy plus your blmaster changes.

That went straight over my head?
  • add <backup file>

Yes, as in type that into BrickSync. You probably need to include the file location unless you copy the backup to the master directory.
  • where is master directory? is that just where it sits normally when it was created by brick sync?
    I also corrected my Brick Owl store using there upload back up and my correct file but obviously it is temporarily, as sync and orders will further defragment my inventories until I correct brick link and clone and re sync them. I appreciate your help Hoddie do you have a pay pal id I would like to send you a little donation for the help when i get a chance. Also do you know how to delete all BL inventory in BL? I really want to learn all this stuff I use to be good with computer but the older I get and all the constant changes I find it more difficult as the years go by I use to run Windows 98 like a pro and use to do all kinds of game modding but after win 7 I lost all my savvy, I need to learn all the ins and out of both Owl and BL and Sync and also brickstock if there are any videos links or other resources you can direct me too for dummies that would be awesome too. Your a real asset to the community thanks again Also would like to thank Stragus for sticking around and still supporting the community as well. all community's need some solid pillars for support, I would like to maybe help in this role some day when I actually know about everything with confidence. I also would like to know how to fill in missing things for Brick Owl and be a contributor in that regards if there is any, how to video I am really a visual learner monkey see this monkey can do, monkey read well that is a different story for me.
  • Ok I figured out how to do it in brick owl using file worked great, but can't figure out BL or Sync I get error in Sync and BL wants text line where as in owl I can just drop the file. Can you tell me exactly what to type as far as command and path and file and I can replace with my path and file name for brick sync? Or if you can tell me where to go to select text for xml in bricksync backups to paste in BL upload, I all I can find is the BSX file itself?

Ok figured command out, but says up to date and doesn't change anything but the same file worked and added all parts in Brick Owl drop file upload?
  • It's pointless making sure BO's inventory is correct if the master inventory held by BrickSync is incorrect, because as soon as BS notices that BO's inventory is different, it'll simply replace it.

Yes, the master directory is the one with the BrickSync.exe file in.

So

add <backup file>

becomes

add data/backups/<filename>.bsx

Or you can copy the relevant backup file to the master directory and use

add <filename>.bsx

Or, if following Stragus' example, use sub instead of add

Just in case you don't know, and to help avoid future issues, it's important to understand that BrickSync holds the master inventory file. Any changes made independently on BO and BL will be lost at some point once BS notices. The only exception to this is with careful use of blmaster.
  • Is there a way I can sync brick owl to BL instead BL to Brick Owl? I figured out how to use brick stock but it takes forever to highlight items and add to BL via paste xml I will also have to do it in several parts I think? Or could i select all and paste without it crashing, I have a super powerful gaming PC so my computer will handle it I think, just not sure if BL servers can or browser limitation ect?
  • Unfortunately no, because BS uses the .bsx file, which is rooted in BL's catalogue. So, BrickSync holds the master inventory in a format exclusive to BrickStock/Bricklink. It then pushes your inventory onto BO using a hidden conversion table.

BL does limit how much you can copy into their inventory import page. Use of the invblxml within BS creates multiple files, each of which will be lower than the allowed limit. It's not a feature of BS I've ever made use of though so I can't speak from experience, only what the documentation says.

Honestly though, the best way to sort out your problem is to get your inventory correct on BL first, using the method I put at the top of my first post. Or, if you have a backup you're confident is correct, the second method I put. At least, that's how I've always done it.

Good luck!
  • edited October 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Subtracting exactly the inventory that was duplicated should be pretty easy. You don't have to mess with XML or anything.

First, you need to find the exact backup file that holds the inventory just prior to duplication. Then, you "sub" it. That's it, done.

Finding that backup BSX can be done by inspecting them in BrickStock, or through the BrickSync logs.

This method would also preserve all changes applied after the unfortunate duplication, including blmaster changes and received orders. It's really just a "sub" command with the right BSX backup file...
  • The only issue I can think of with Stragus' method is if it wasn't an actual straight up duplication of the inventory, otherwise that would be the simplest way.
  • yes your second method appears the best but I don't know the command in regards where to put things like " [ > If you could give me an example of exactly what to type and I can change my directory and filename for it to work I am manually selecting portions in brick stock now and doing it in large chunks it will also work but slower going, would there be a size limit doing it in bricksync using bsx file? I thank You again I have also already learned so much today, the positive side for having your inventory all messed up.
  • I tried Stragus method but it seamed to work as far as commands with no result it left my inventory with the 5 parts I added after deleting both stores I used the same bsx file that I used in brick owl that did repopulate brick owl and worked. I have found the exact .bsx file that was the last backed up before my duplicate inventoried appeared. not sure why it did not work?
  • OH wait subtract last update, but I have a few now, so that is likely why it didn't work perhaps, plus I used the the correct inventoried file? I would want to select the file after the correct one? except I have more than one.
  • So could I just subtract the top file and than the second top file and go down the list subtracting till the correct one is the most current to date remaining?
  • Really all I need is an exact example of the command with the proper "<] put in the right place this is the confusing part for me.
    Example my back up file is in directory C:\users\Sean\desktop the file is 00387.bsx
    I have it saved on my desktop

add <backup file>

I need that translated I have tried doing it but the command always gives me error because I don't know where to put all the [>" What does back up file substitute just the file name the complete file path?
  • The easiest way would be to copy that file to the same directory as bricksync.exe, then it would simply be

add 00387.bsx
  • Yes that made it super easy thank You, but now I get
    Command Aborted! to override the warnings, just append the -f flag to force the command
  • warnings all appear to be lot has no remarks
  • seams to be working but have a handful of json parse errors maybe a few small orders i got after this backup?
  • I also hit my API limit will the rest of the changes still be made once 24 hours have past?
  • Such errors can occur when BrickSync is trying to edit a lot that doesn't exist on BL and/or BO, for example. BrickSync will then fix them up with an automated "sync", ensuring the online inventories match the master inventory tracked by BrickSync. But... did you "add" a backup on a non-empty inventory? I think Hoddie suggested that method on an empty inventory.

You can also restore a backup by:
    #0 Shut off BrickSync
    #1 Replace data/bricksync.inventory.bsx with the backup BSX file
    #2 Launch BrickSync
    #3 Type "sync"

You can subtract orders received after restoring a backup, using the "sub" command and the appropriate BSX files in data/orders/
  • Yes I deleted both stores inventory completely than added my backup file right before inventory was doubled
  • Should I re delete BL store and do this instead?
    You can also restore a backup by:
    #0 Shut off BrickSync
    #2 Launch BrickSync
    #3 Type "sync"
    I suppose I would also have to wait 24 hours because my API usage is used up?
  • I once asked if I could replace the inventory with a backup that way and Stragus told me no! Hahahah. That would deffo be the easiest way.
  • I now realize I lost all my time stamps of when parts where added kinda of a bummer but not the end of the world. I likely lost sales history of when last sold another bummer. Stragus subtract method would have been better in that regard. oh well not having to manually delete them all PRICELESS.
  • @Hoddie I said that? Oops sorry, maybe that was true very early on, when the master BSX inventory was expected to have BrickOwl Lot IDs and such.

@Bulkbrickvault You can use the "resetapihistory" command to reset API usage tracking to zero. BL claims (or claimed, years ago?) to have daily API usage limits, but apparently you can just go over and nothing happens.
  • ok I will do that after Owl is finished updating, but should I delete BL again and
    #0 Shut off BrickSync
    #2 Launch BrickSync
    #3 Type "sync"

or am I fine the way it is?
  • Don't delete anything. Replace the BrickSync master inventory with the backup, and let it fix everything with "sync".

My original suggestion with "sub" would have kept the later blmaster changes and deducted orders. After restoring the backup, you'll also have to fix these...
  • no problem I only had a few single item orders, I can just do it by part,

the biggest thing is I lost my time stamps on BL for listed on and last sold on, Had I not deleted my store this method would have likely maintained that data, oh well. Thanks a bunch Brick owl is still updating I will rename back up file and replace inventory file as suggested.