(very) "Off Topic" - try this browser!

edited November 2013 in General Vote Up0Vote Down
I have been using DuckDuckGo for several months now, I find it's much better than google - you loose the intelligent search aspect but the results are much more refined, and once you read about the "anonymity" aspect - you will likely steer clear of google!

https://duckduckgo.com

Do you sometimes think your house "must be bugged"? - My Wife does, I have explained why :- she uses google to search and is on Facebook a LOT!

Ever wondered why you see news articles connected to something you only discussed orally with one person?
Or a "suggestion" from Amazon that was for something you only thought you might buy "one day"?

I was reading an article in New Scientist about a year ago, a study was done on Facebook: - if "someone" (anyone), "knew" you and three friends (from your profile and posts) they could determin where you would be at any given time, with an accuracy of 100yds and 95%!

The ammount of information google extract from your searches is frankly astonishing, and that is one of their sources of income - profiling users and selling information to target you for sales and advertising.

Not paranoia it's fact - add the fact that you are likely carrying a tracking device (smart phone) with google maps installed (location services have to be on for it to work)...

Just thought I'd share :)

Graham

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Just to add to this a bit.

You can also go to http://fixtracking.com/

You can pick your browser that you are using and it will list all the browser add-ons you should get and why. Explains what they block and this is a must do if you are a security/tracking nut and want to end tracking while also making your computer safer on the web.

I can't seem to find it but there was a website that the hacktavist group "anonymous" ran and they posted a list of things to make your self anonymous on the web. If I run across it again I will post it. It was a much better list than the link I posted but it seems to have disappeared.