Colour palettes

Ok just when I think i am ok with my colours I get a new batch of bricks/plates etc which are colours which is confusing me again. Any advice on colour palettes please. I dont know how I can make one when I dont know what the colours are in the first place :/ I am sure if someone on here started making colour palettes people like me would buy them. I am now stuck on pinks and purples. Can anyone help please?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • For colours in current use you can just take one from cheap sets, or from a part-out. For older colours, you'll need to buy examples from reputable sellers, preferably one each from two different sellers just in case one of them makes a mistake.

2x4 system bricks and 2x2 Duplo bricks are the most commonly collected for colour palettes I think, but 2x2 tile comes in almost all colours because Lego use it for their internal colour palette but many are rarely, if ever, available on the secondary market.

The 2x2 Duplo bricks have the advantage that they provide a large uninterrupted field of colour, and they come in many old, odd colours like salmon and violet, though the rarer ones may be hard to find at a good price. A good option, which is what I did, was wait until a set they were in popped up on Ebay. Transparent colours are much cheaper in Duplo 2x2s.

2x4 system bricks are common enough but the rarer ones could set you back a few quid each.

I go with a combination of both - they can be stacked together though the clutch is a little loose.

You can stick to 2x4 system bricks and fill any gaps with 1x4s and 1x2s, which should be cheaper where available.

And some colours don't come in any of these options so if you really wanted an all-encompassing palette, you'll have to be creative.
  • Thank you Hoddie but I am a bit stuck on identifying the colours - any advice on that please?
  • Just compare the color of those pieces to some well known ones. For instance, everybody knows that the Turkey Drumstick (33057) is Dark Orange, so you can use it as a reference.
  • edited October 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Well, by ordering pieces from reputable sellers, the hope is they'd be sending the right ones.

For example, if you ordered the 2x2 Duplo piece in violet from me:
    https://ras.brickowl.com/store/lego-violet-duplo-brick-2-x-2-3437
    you'd know that your palette had violet in it. Stick it on a Duplo baseboard and label it with a label maker.

Or, if buying sets to get the pieces you need, the hope is the set inventory was correct about what pieces were included.

It's the only way you can do it really. There are online colour palettes but they can't really be used with any certainty because of the differences in how monitors display colours. There's also a book you can buy but this reportedly fails quite miserably when recreating many colours in print.

I've been making my palette for 3-4 years now and it still has only 3/4s or all colours on it. It's not a cheap thing to do but if you're a serious seller, in particular of used parts, you really do need one.

Start small, pulling 2x4s from any sets you buy new. Consider the gaps your palette has and check if a particular set contains several of them. Scala and Belville sets will be great for pinks and purples. Duplo too.

If you try and make your palette by pulling pieces from a big pile of used Lego, it's possible you'll make a mistake. Some colours are easy to identify - Dark Purple, Yellow, etc. but as you rightly say the pinks are can be difficult. So, too, the greys. You won't be able to say with any certainty that you have x pink, y pink and z pink. People will say "it should be easy because z pink is a little darker than y pink, and y pink is deeper than x pink" - but people see differently. If you make a mistake at this point, you're going to make many mistakes going forward by referring to an incorrect palette.
  • Thank you Hoddie - sound advice. That's the way forward for me then. I do appreciate your advice. As you say different monitors show different colours and I do want to be 100% certain of my colours.
    Thanks again
  • Pikka - thank you for your reply too. I can compare on certain colours but unfortunately not all - but thanks again