Sales slump?

Thought I might start a similar conversation here as well.

I am at a point where I either “go for it” or pack it in.
Since reopening both stores, sales were very encouraging. I have invested heavily over the last few months. Due to stragus (now very lengthy) absence, I am stuck at the 250k barrier. With a storage unit full (literally) of sets to part.

However, it seems I’m not the only one with this situation. Sales prices at all time low, buy in at all time high, and a lot less sales than a few years ago, the initial uptick going across platforms seems to have gone.

It would seem that the number of sellers/stores have increased quite dramatically but the customer base is not growing, which isn’t a good sign.
I also noticed quite a number of medium size stores going / have gone out of business.

I’m wondering if we’ve reached market saturation? There’s only a finite amount of LEGO folks will buy/store.

Thoughts?

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Huh, I've had the opposite. Was super close to reaching an all time record this month between both sites. This month on BO by itself was a record both for sales and value.
  • I wouldn't say it was a record month for me, but was up on this time last year. Interestingly, BL sales were down around 10%, but BO more than made up for it.
  • @Graham - just took a peek around your store- it has never come up in our searches for parts, yet you have at least two things in a particular colour for a new build we have planned. Maybe the things others on BL are saying about prices going South may be impacting your sales. The prices you have don't seem to reflect our other options- not buying yet, have to see what we already have hidden in piles, but...
  • Can't say I'm seeing a sales slump, because September was my best month ever.

I think it's tricky to try and find patterns with such limited information. So much can change from region to region, and it's also seasonal, and there are all kinds of other aspects.

For example, how do you know the customer base is not growing? Unless you really looked into it and have hard data about number of buyers over time, and that number is in fact decreasing. But how/where is that happening. For example, if the number of buyers is decreasing mostly in the US, that probably doesn't affect most stores in Europe.

So my thoughts: it's complicated.
  • edited October 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Just another insight. We are an average size shop (150K+parts, 8600+ lots), located in Czech republic, opened in June 2018, selling old and new parts, just here on BO. Our prices are roughly based on six-months-average and we always ship as registered mail. We constantly get approximately 20 orders a month, worth approx. $20 each, coming from both Europe (50%) and the rest of the World (50%), mostly via Rebrickable. I don't have any previous experience to compare to, but I was expecting at least twice as much traffic. But I hope for the best :)
  • Glad you brought up the 6 month average, @Pikka . When we first started to list for our store, that was the price we used, but now find we have to reduce all prices, tending to each item as we list more inventory. Why we had to do this: It is apparent now that a more important metric is MODE price.
    Example: 1 x 2 Brick with Grill, 2877, has a 6 month average of .05. Current is .02 Minimum, .36 Maximum, and .06 Average. When looking to buy, however, the Mode is between .02 and .03 for both New and Used Good in all colours available.
    The median, Average, is skewed by those outlier high prices of one to a handful of stores and therefore is above a saleable price.
    We have had lots of Active Carts, begun from a buy query of Wish List no doubt, but did not result in an order- we had the parts but the store carts with the lower prices won out. :(
  • 6 month average and especially current average has always bugged me, the better would be median + mean /2 Or even better median + mean + mode /3

On the original point October is starting well, mid week too. There’s no rhyme or reason to sales volume!!

Guess it’s all down to price of parts, which doesn’t always mean least expensive in total with shipping, I have found most often it’s less expensive to buy from the store with the most available lots first. Although I haven’t bought much parts in several years now.
  • I would be VERY happy if we had the ability to manually exclude the two 2-3 highest and lowest OR at least limit averaging to costs in our our countries (that would help me exclude most of the skewing). :-)
  • I strong agree with Calibrick - it would great to be able to filter out outlying prices from the average as well as have a country / region pricing option.
  • @Calibrick @JLRSextra I second that. It would be great if we had an option to see Median and/or Mode price along with the current Average (which is skewed to the high end of the spectrum)
  • edited October 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Just based on my experience in over a decade of selling (and not based on any facts outside of it) my feeling is yes, the market is saturated. Sales have been going down significantly for 5 years while I have multiplied my inventory. 5 years ago, I had more than half of the orders I have now, with less than a quarter of the inventory.

As for prices dropping, I think it is in the market's nature to have a downward trend just because of the way that the system works. For example, if I am the only one in the world with a particular part and list it for €1, and they sell outside the EU on Bricklink, they will be recorded in the BL priceguide as a €0.80 sale because VAT is removed. If I then re-adjust my price to the new average, €0.80, and again sell it outside of the EU, it will drop further, etc etc. Another factor is European sellers working with Brickstock, because Brickstock excludes VAT and therefore provides lower prices than the actual priceguide on BL. And, of course, if a part is listed by several sellers around a fair price, the buyers will go for the cheaper half - even though the average price was good. That'll make for a low 6 Months Sales average, around which sellers will list a part, and again the cheaper half is sold, again adjusted around the new selling price, etc.

So in short, many factors that naturally push the price down and down. It's just technical mechanisms, unrelated to the real value of the parts. I think sellers will have to have the guts to price significantly higher than the Last 6 Months Sales average. If that won't happen, then we're really going to see an endurance race. In either scenario, I think the sellers that are serious and dedicated will be able to survive (someone has to supply the Lego, after all). But today, I would not start a store anymore. If I was at that crossroads, I'd decide to ditch it and make money with something else.
  • I don't think the constant sales from many shops really help. It just drives the prices down. The race to the bottom..
  • I just did my monthly analysis, and September and October 2019 is 29% and 40% higher than 2018, respectively, for my store. I've been religiously adding new parts every week though...

For pricing, I do probably the worst thing one can - I use current average (though I price sets and minifigs manually). Sometimes I jiggle it around and globally drop it 8%-10% if I see sales slowing, but that has seemed to work for me from day one.

Of course those skews still kill me - anytime I do a global reprice, I then have to spend 4-6 hours looking at all my parts sorted by high price, as what should be a $0.08 part is selling for $7-$10.00, wildly.

It's those couple of really high priced (and really low priced, too) stores that just kill it, sigh - or the rare circumstance where someone added a part to their store which had never sold/been listed before in the condition listed, so it's defaulting for them to $99.00, which actually shows in the catalog until they reprice it. That's happened to me twice, lol - just crazy timing and circumstance in that scenario.
  • Is it really slow for you all lately, or just me? In brickowl, I got 2-3 orders in the entire last week, where I normally have at least 1-2 per day.
  • @BrikomaniaES wel maintained shop graph ! just curious, do you have a continuely adding new items or when there is a sale and after that add lots of items at once ?
  • In my opinion, you cannot discuss any time span less than a month. And even a month is shaky data. It just isn't statistically significant data and should be ignored completely. Looking back on quarters or years I think is better practise, both in terms of the scientific method and for stress levels ;)
  • I'm sure it's not relevant in the big picture @teup , but even then it can still be strange! Seems to be back to normal for me, I'm sure people were just waiting for end of month pay :smiley:

@unbrickable I usually add new items whenever I have time to part out sets, I haven't added new items for over a month now and I'm sure that's affecting some sales too! You just can't have enough gray bricks and plates!!
  • I agree with Teup, statistically speaking you need multiple data points to have a true comparison, but data alone is pretty useless. It always needs context applied, e.g., did you add or not add items that time period compared to 1-2 previous years, is a regular source (e.g., country) going thru a national economic challenge (e.g., tax or VAT increases, slumping economy), how is TLG itself doing compared to previous years in terms of buyer interest vs. cost, and the list goes on. Context is king when you're looking at numbers. ;-)
  • I know from experience it can be really really tough to resist the temptation to find meaning behind things when there is none. As long as it doesn't go on for several months, I think it's better to just make a rational decision not to pay attention to it as tempting as it is :) Especially if you're getting several orders a day and then suddenly in two weeks time you're hardly getting any orders at all. You could be 100% positive your shipping methods must have broke or something like that, but after some time sales pick up again, things are back to normal, and there never was an explanation.
  • Things have been drastically slow for us over on the other site, until we dropped our pricing for the Black Friday weekend - and boom! Sales! But, that's not sustainable, and it does seem that everyone is trying to be the lowest they can be. This has been through the year for us, but this holiday season is the worst we've had so far over the course of 15 years, when comparing product sales to what it should be.