Brexit

First off, please let's leave the discussion about the merits or otherwise of Brexit for elsewhere.

Curious to see what preparations, if any, Brick Owl and individual stores are making for a potential 'no deal' Brexit on 31/10/19. It has implications across the board, from VAT to standards, postage costs, customs procedures, etc.

EU stores often ignore their responsibilities for dealing with non-EU customers/businesses, but the UK is a pretty large chunk of the Lego aftermarket, and Brick Owl itself is based and constituted in the UK. There will be consequences, however minor, and I'm wondering if anyone has considered the impact on the platform and their store?

Probably the biggest noticeable issue will be the need to consider Import VAT and Duty on cross-border sales between EU/UK stores/buyers.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • "Probably the biggest noticeable issue will be the need to consider Import VAT and Duty on cross-border sales between EU/UK stores/buyers."

That. I'm afraid I will loose customers from the UK. I also consider to raise my shipping cost because I have to write a CN22 customs label for every single order, no matter how small.
  • I've got a large roll of CN22s labels in ;) I have thought about this though, I only sell so guess I will possibly lose a few overseas orders (maybe due to import charges - who knows) but then maybe more UK buyers will stay within the UK. One of those areas no one seems to know any solid answers.
  • I'm sure @lawrence will comment on this (just tagging him to ensure he sees this).
  • If you look at the big markets, there are three that are way above all the rest. USA, Germany and U.K. I would be inclined to see little change more U.K. customers will buy from U.K. stores, and more EU customers will buy from EU stores (mostly Germany)
    Now assuming the U.K. does really leave the EU. There is a good chance of trade deals with the US. Which may be of net benefit.
  • With regards to customs labels, you may want to look at Royal Mails click and drop which can print the customs labels for you I believe. Although you’ll need a label printer.
  • From Stripe earlier today:

"We’d like to reassure you that Stripe’s services in Europe will continue to run without disruption regardless of the outcome of the ongoing Brexit negotiations and that your user experience will be unaffected. No action is required by you, but your continued use of Stripe after April 10, 2019, is subject to our updated agreement."
  • Have myself a shed load of CN22 stickers in waiting but I will check Lawrence's recommendation - be good if it's compatible with a Dymo.
    As for taxation: i think we'd still have to reach certain thresholds which would be similar to non-EU nations as it is.

We will have to see if there are additional costs for RM's and other couriers' business to business operations between UK and EU and if so, those costs will be passed to service users and lead to myself increasing shipping charges.
    Being subject to customs regulations may impact service time scales but I'd expect the shipping firms to change their product descriptions to match so that we all know what we're paying for.

RM say they are well placed to deal with the transition.
    https://www.royalmail.com/brexit/no-deal