Bag together or no?

I admit, I was a bag hag for the first year of our store. We didn't have any complaints but I am aware some people don't like every single lot and color in it's own baggie plus it wastes time/money and is not great for the environment.

I have done better about bagging together when possible, such as grouping small amounts of 4073 in different colors, etc. I did notice a brand new white part in a set I parted out that had a little red streak rubbed onto it from another part which made me wonder:

Are there colors you would not bag together to ship?

Currently white will always get it's own bag from our store . I've not been bagging light colors with dark either. Thoughts?

Thx,
Tracy

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In my experience I have never seen colors rub off onto others to consider this. Was it for sure from another brick or possible some dye from the factory hands/machines or fault in the part?

I have found in general it is quite hard to get LEGO parts to scratch other LEGO parts of the same material. Patterns forgiven..

I try to have different colors and shapes in one bag to make separating them easy, so light and dark together for me is quite common. 3-5 lots per bag generally depending on the parts.

My thoughts are you could relax a bit more and gain some time. :)

That and I dislike selling white parts in general. I have about 20 pounds of used white elements of most every type I plan seeing if it will go in one lot cheap rather than fussing through what ones I feel comfortable selling.

Joe

• For smaller orders (which is mostly what I get) I bag used and new separately, and that's about it. If I have a lot with more than 10 1 x 1 plates or something along those lines, I'll put that lot in its own bag just to clear the clutter a bit. For really big orders, all the larger lots get bagged separately and the smaller lots get mixed together.

Minifigs are all individually bagged.

• That and I dislike selling white parts in general. I have about 20 pounds of used white elements of most every type I plan seeing if it will go in one lot cheap rather than fussing through what ones I feel comfortable selling.

I actually just gave away a bag of white bricks because they were so unevenly faded that I wouldn't sell them. I do have a lot of new white parts in my shop, but I just hope I can move them before they start looking dingy.
  • LEGO have come up with a solution to that problem - now even the new white bricks come in a range of off white shades :D
  • LEGO have come up with a solution to that problem - now even the new white bricks come in a range of off white shades :D
    Same with Yellow, Reddish-Brown, Dark Red and others - but White gets me, as far as I am aware there is only one way to get "White" Titanium Dioxide (they put that in Skimmed Milk BTW :O ), Titanium Dioxide doesn't have shades of White, so it must be the actual ABS base that's the issue!

I do know why we have all the varying shades tho: -

To "save money" aka "more profit" the raw ABS is tinted at the various factories all over the world, where as they used to ship pre-colored ABS granules to each location.

Ahhh progress!
  • Anything dyed in separate lots is going to show some color variation.
    Once it's bigger than one assembly line, there's going to be issues.

Housepainters, for example, never mix lots of a given color on one project.
  • When i'm sorting mixed stock for inventory white parts get extra attention, so long as the light is good its usually quite easy to spot older & discoloured parts which either are disposed of, or if they have play value go into collection for charity shops. I've usually got at least 20% more white bricks than my inventory says so after being washed I can examine them again and send only really good parts to buyers.
    It was a shock some years ago when I came across brand new white lego, which wasn't white, so do the best I can, and don't ship anything I wouldn't be happy to receive.
  • Since this thread's been brought back to the top, I will say that I just recently posted this: http://www.dagsbricks.com/2014/01/lego-selling-tips-packaging-multi-lot.html

Brian
  • please bag separately. Nothing bugs me more than ordering a few hundred blues and greens and getting them all mixed together. It's such a small step, and they're counted out separately, so just keep them that way! That's my 2 cents!
  • @Brickworkz, LOL, I just had over 2,000 of the 4073 in a variety of all colors sent to me in one large ziploc bag. I'm sure they did not store them that way, trying to figure out why they thought it was a good way to send them. Sigh....

@DagsBricks Just saw your post, great article. I always enjoy your blog :)

Tracy