Lazy Listing

Does anyone else sometimes use the "used/good" option as a way of saving time? Like I have some stuff that's basically new, probably new, but like I don't want to spend a bunch of time trying to inspect every last piece super up close... so a lot of times I'm just like... "used/good"... yeah that sounds close enough. :D

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • LOL, @Anathema , I need to use reader glasses! Lucky you if you don't. For those parts not in a build already, I inspect to see if it might have been built, and if not, those go to Used-Like New. Otherwise, especially the built once we take apart- they are most definitely Used Good!
  • Unfortunately "basically new, probably new" is used. New is new and there are no shades of new. IT's new if you just took it from a new box or a PAB wall. Other than that it's not new. If it's new and has been mixed with used, it's all used. You really can't go back and pick out the new and sell as new, so yes it should be sold as used.
  • Mmmm, I wouldn't do that blindly. I've bought a ton of sets brand new where some individual pieces were, uh... less than new. TLCs quality control is not exactly what I would describe as impeccable. Especially if you're buying the "factory seconds" sets they tend to skive off to Wal-Mart.

To me "new" is synonymous with "perfect", where it still has that out of the box shine/luster, with perfect color quality/composition, no dings/dents, patterns that are printed perfectly and no other manufacturing defects or anomalies. Any amount of prolonged jostling of a box of Legos, even a brand new, never opened box, will result in wear and tear (micro scratching).

Of course there's also the "flawless" sort of "new", like getting a lightsaber with no bubbles in it (although they have gotten much better about that).
  • From the BrickOwl help pages (https://www.brickowl.com/help/item-conditions)

----
    Conditions

New

Lego that is classed as New should have never been built or played with and is often taken directly from sealed Lego Sets. New items can contain some hairline scratches as Lego package parts all mixed in together but they should not have any major damage such as dents or chips. The items should ideally be as pristine and perfect as when they were first moulded and printed.
    ----
  • edited September 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Yeah that last sentence there really nails it. Because even if it's never been built or played with the "shine" of the pieces can dull from micro scratching.

There's some different trade-offs too, like if you store pieces by lightly sticking them together you'll get less micro scratching, but on the flip side that can potentially affect the grip strength and likewise even temperature variation, exposure to light, oil from your fingers, etc can all damage the quality, whether they've been built or played with in any manner or not.

That's why anything that's really worth a lot or anything super rare should, ideally, be stored in individual plastic bags. Like this non-standard blue telephone piece (see attached image). I won't even take it out of the plastic bag to look at it without wearing gloves.
  • My Bad: I thought this was a friendly BO-type discussion of "Used". We all know what "New" is. We all also know that Pick A Bricks can be less than perfect- in fact, we grade ours as "Used"... So thankful for the BrickOwl grading system that can identify 3 grades of used- very helpful for our buyers who have different needs based on building desires!
  • I know @One_Click_Off isn't the grading system here awesome? I love that I have the three options to choose from - though I very, very, very rarely selected used/like new, just because that can get a bit into the eye of the beholder.

I typically list everything as used good since I recycle ANYTHING with a bite mark, serious gouge, etc. I do have some used/acceptables listed with notes explaining the issue for parts that I'd actually consider using in a build myself or are rarer, but just aren't quite good enough (if that makes sense, lol), e.g., there is a scratch, or the decoration is showing signs of fade, etc.
  • Exactly, @Calibrick - just what you said here, Amazing grading system!...and the bite marks, serious gouges our troupe have found so far are just fill for another beautiful MOC ;)
    New are just New moved from one plastic bag to another :)
    Where we had to get out the readers is those really beautiful parts that were dumped into a bin of other used but have obviously never been built- okay...Used- Like New..IF we would use as such ourselves for a displayed build!
    Thanks always for sharing your experience and insights!
  • You too, @One_Click_Off , we sound very like-minded! And I love the MOCs you post! :-)