Public Notes?

Where does a buyer see 'Public Notes'? I have a large # of baseplates listed that have detailed descriptions of issues that each one may have, but when I look at them as a buyer in my store I don't see those notes. Why aren't they public?

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Exactly! That should have shown up when I just searched this item and got the list of stores offering, like it does with other parts and there is a note in black below the blue description!
    checking it out for you :o
  • Did you check your inventory settings? Maybe your public notes are hidden.
  • edited September 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I've just added the same item (Green Road 32 x 32) with some public notes, just for testing.
    Mine are visible and yours are not.

https://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-green-road-32-x-32-service-station-with-white-lines-and-crosswalk-pattern
  • I only see the notes in my shop when I actually click on the item...

https://murmle.brickowl.com/store/lego-minifigure-head-with-blue-sunglasses-and-stubble-safety-stud-3626

...which is a bit disconcerting because it doesn't show the notes in the main shop (with all the listings) and you can directly add it to your cart without ever even seeing them.

Also checked my settings, the notes aren't hidden.
    @Anathema But I see your public note which says: "The pattern looks good but it has some tiny dings like someone was gnawing on it. ಠ_ಠ"
  • Yeah, on that direct link. But if you just go to my shop and click on like minifigures...

https://murmle.brickowl.com/store/lego-parts/minifig

...you don't see it.
    At least with the default view (see attached image).

If you click the icon to the LEFT of what's circled it'll show the notes, but with the thumbnail option it won't show the notes.
  • Huh, I never really thought about what view you have to be in to see the public notes. One BIG positive is that prospective buyers will def see the public notes if they are buying using a catalog view (to find a store to go to in the first place, if they're seeking a key part). That's actually how I tend to shop. Of course then I wonder what you see if you auto-load a cart from a wishlist...

It's an interesting topic.

I THINK default view is what I call the summary view. Consider this:

In default view, you don't see 20 individual panels/listings for your 20 diff-colored 1 x 1 plates. You see one panel/listing for 1x2 plates with a little color palette to show what you stock. If you change the default view globally across all stores to show public notes, that view ability would be lost (and then there's slow death by scrolling for customers to get to the next main part)... something to think about! :-)
  • 1- Is that the default? I had no idea it was even an option..... otherwise, why would they be public notes?!?! Thank you @Pikka
    2- @Calibrick , it doesn't show up in the catalog view either if you haven't DE-selected hide public notes.
    3- @Anathema, I'm not sure where that default selection is. Is it somewhere on the catalog page?

4- Holy guacamole, Batman! That explains why when we have contacted the buyers they have all been confused about the condition. They never saw the description!

.... And now I'm going to go back through every single setting page and double check them.
    Unfortunately I don't think there's a setting for it, the default is the "thumbnail" view, so until a user actually clicks the little icon to the left to change it to the "details" view... they won't see the notes, at least not when they're in your store browsing.

--edit--
    One thing you should probably do is when someone orders, check and make sure their order doesn't contain any items with notes and, if there is, send them a message first, before sending the order, to make sure that they know about the notes.
  • I had assumed that public notes appear whenever and wherever you are, but it seems not. I recently had a customer purchase an item I had listed a with detailed description of the damage, only for them to get in touch to say they couldn't accept it in that condition. I asked for the part back and refunded them and explained about the description. It seems that the the public note is not visible if you add direct from the store (Add to cart) but is visible on the item listing page in the main catalogue. Once it's in the cart it shows up there but the customer may not think to check, especially if there's lots of parts in the order. Seems a bit random to me, but maybe there's a reason for it showing up in some places but not all.
  • @Anathema, that is exactly what we have been doing. We send out messages and wait for their response. We would rather delay the shipping than face a back lash for unhappy buyers.
  • Based on this discussion, we have just added a note in "Optional Payment Instructions" for buyers to check the item additional notes of cart pieces before checking out. Hope this helps :#
  • It appears that at some point in the past I made a change to hide the notes on the functionality for adding items to your cart without going into the item detail page within a store. Clearly this has the unintended consequence of customers not noticing the notes so this has now been reversed and notes are now visible on that functionality.
  • Thanks so much @Lawrence . Love that we have a responsive administrator.