Pearl gold or?

A recent order for a lot of pearl gold. I noticed a big discrepancy in the color. So sorted them. They look totally different to me. Thoughts?

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited August 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    They are both Pearl Gold. This color is known to have some different shades – one is visibly lighter and less goldy. I sometimes get both shades in the same set. Lego is just inconsistent at times...
  • This is also with Dark Red the early version was brighter while the newest is drab However with the pearl gold it isn't date production issue, you will get both variations and new set boxes. Some sellers will note darker version or lighter version others don't specify and mix them together, most do the latter.
  • Unfortunately, pearl gold is the biggest offender for this kind of discrepancy. They're both pearl gold. For some pieces it's far more noticeable (like these studs). What's worse is that in the same LEGO set, you can have pieces of different shades when parting out. I try to always pick out "similar" shades for a buyer but it's not always possible. Not to mention, if they're trying to add to existing other pieces, they may have the other "shade" of pearl gold. I recommend any buyer looking for specific pearl gold pieces to reach out to a seller in advance to check how many they have of the lighter or darker shade (if possible).
  • According to Ryan Howerter, someone who closely tracks Lego's colours and their histories:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126975831@N07/15211982695/in/photostream/

Introduced in 2006, this color replaced most of the existing gold colors at that point: 189 Reddish Gold, 127 Gold, and 147 Sand Yellow Metallic.

In 2010, this color was reformulated to be much more consistent. The parts were darker at first because of this reformulation (see far right column in photo), but have since settled somewhere between the two shades.
  • I list those as seperate lots, light version and dark version. In fact Pearl Gold is such an issue for colour variance I often put a note that this colour can vary somewhat. Both the real colour though. Hopefully you'll be able to blend them in with your project.
  • Hmm I just parted out a few newer Disney mermaid sets and the pearl gold supports where mixed some light some dark, I also noticed some parts are more commonly dark gold while others are more commonly lighter, Pearl gold is all over the place.
  • What do you (everyone) suggest? Should the notation be made? I have only the light version in inventory right now...
    For what it's worth, when listing two other colours I have made separate or amended listings- one is in the known variation of the reddish brown where one is more brown and one is truly "redder"- and I have the old brown to compare the more brown one to so not making that mistake- so I made a remark.
    For another, the trans green, specifically the 1 x 2 brick, I made separate listings of the newer lighter (again, not the light green in transparent) and older ones that are much deeper in green colour (like old emeralds).
  • So am I right in thinking that Flat Dark Gold doesn't really exist and is simply a different variation of Pearl Gold? I noticed that BL's colour info suggests that 1x1 round plates don't come in Flat Dark Gold but there are sellers of them anyway, so guess the confusion is quite common.
  • @Jay37 flat dark gold is a seperate colour altogether, it is mostly Bionicle parts.
  • In the past some set inventories on BL had the 1x1 round plates listed as flat dark gold because people submitting inventories were not aware of the variation in shades of pearl gold. Sellers parting out those sets would end up with these plates in flat dark gold in their store inventories.

All these inventories have since been fixed, but many sellers still have those lots in their store. And maybe some sellers are still adding new lots in that color if they are not aware of the different shades of pearl gold.
  • This has been very enlightening to me - I have actually listed some items and flat dark gold. I didn't realise that there was such a big difference in pearl gold. Now to try and remember which items they were!!!
  • @westiekath you can actually simply search for "flat dark gold" at the top in your inventory.

Niek.
  • Wow! This is an education. I had initially thought that left photo was Flat (Dark) Gold and right image is Pearl Gold.
    I have always thought this. How wrong am I?
  • @waynstar, yes, me too. Looks like I'll be making some inventory amendments in the morning!
  • Looks like a few of us were under the same impression :o
    Thanks for the advice qwertyboy :)
  • LEGO listed Dark Red as Dark Red.
    Then New Dark Red as a separate color.
    They are very different, I do not know why the community wouldn’t list them as different, I asked years ago on BL and got no response :o
  • So items in the same set from LEGO and in their system are considered different colors... isn't this going a bit too far. If LEGO says they are the same shouldn't we be the same?

Tyson
  • @WESTIEKATH Thought you might like this as a reference - Flat Dark Gold on the left, Pearl Gold on the right :)
  • Thanks @brickadoon my darker pearl gold look far closer to (or maybe?) flat dark gold,

@leopard37 if referring to Dark Red vs New Dark Red the two didn’t appear in the same (boxed) set, however they likely did appear as alternates for a while when they changed over, as to why the community chose not to recognize this is beyond me the difference is as big as Old Dark Gray vs Dark Stone Gray, to my eyes
  • Thanks brickadoon that is a great help. I don't think I have any as dark as that but really going to check. Your help is much appreciated as always
  • @graham I think i misintepreted the thread a bit, but my point still stand the pearl gold 1x1 plates you have are all pearl gold. Flat dark gold was only used for Bionicle pieces as qwertyboy has pointed out.

Tyson.