Need help with yet another colour issue :-(

Can anyone please help me with this one - going to sound stupid to some but …..
I am having trouble with the dark orange and earth orange hair - I either have all dark orange or earth orange but I really don't know which it is. Anyone help please?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This might sound daft (and really it's not meant to be!) but earth orange is a lighter colour and dark orange is, well, darker. I appreciate that without any other reference point it's not easy to tell which is which, but more simply dark orange is more 'browny' and earth orange is more 'orangey'. Hope this helps!
    James
  • I have one to ask all about! - Look at these and tell me what are these colours? I think the first is speckled black and the last is Pearl Dark Gray- but are the two center ones actually speckled dark stone gray that LEGO has but BrickOwl does not list?- there seems to be a figure/colour for black speckled that is being used for this when the first is apparently the real McCoy of a "speckled black"
    Looked at Sellers' listings but can't seem to get this straight---
  • If you have any cooked turkey LEGO parts, or turkey legs (e.g., if you collect Harry Potter), those are Dark Orange. That may help with a comparison...
  • edited August 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    For the image, the one on the far left is Speckled Black-Silver. The far right LOOKS like Pearl Dark Gray (though not always easy to tell from a photo). The two center ones are a bit tough for me to tell from the photo, though I'd note there is a Speckled Dark Stone Gray-Silver floating around (rarer).
  • edited August 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    As an aside, the way I learned those tougher LEGO colors was to find a mate of the color in question in a set I own, then look at that set's inventory... it really helped me a lot once I started doing that (after awhile, you get to know them on sight).

I know some folks also made themselves color reference plates, using 1x1 tiles or plates.
  • I think you're right about the speckled black and the pearl dark gray. The others could be speckled dark gray - BL has sellers supposedly selling this colour but they don't list it as a known colour for the part. The colour list here has a speckled dark gray too so could be a legitimate but obscure non-production colour. I always have a slight doubt when I see few sellers with only a handful of parts in an unusual colour as it could be miss-identification.
  • Thanks and what to do with the middle two, @Jay37, and too cool to just put the turkey leg up to the part, @Calibrick!

Took a screenshot of BL message 1147535 and pull it up now and then- still not everything like earth orange and earth blue...

Been using the stair treads to distinguish lavenders...
  • If you deal with Used batches I would strongly suggest making a colour comparison chart. It's saved me numerous times.

Tyson.
  • Thanks all. I only have one colour hair at moment (dark orange as it turns out). Thanks Jay it didn't sound daft at all :) Calibrick thanks too - that's how I worked out the colour I have with the turkey leg :D
    I really think I need to make more colour palettes - I did one for the greys and that helped me enormously. Thanks all again for your pearls of wisdom - very much appreciated.
  • I recall a thread from earlier this year that has great advice on making a color palette, that might be worth a read! I certainly wish I had something like that the first year or two I was inputting parts, lol. I'm glad the turkey leg trick worked, Kath!
  • Thanks Calibrick :-)