Brick Sync Registration ?

I have reached over a certain amount of Inventory and I am prompted to Register, I have made a Donation, but received no code to register, Unless I become a Math Whiz to answer the test questions to continue the program my Inventory is getting all messed up. Can some one Please help me get register Key I have donated to Starguas.

Thank You

Comments

• 35 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • A donation will usually prompt @Stragus to send you a registration key, but someone recently said they'd spoken to him and he's currently travelling or on holiday or something like that. Maybe give it a few days?
  • I'm getting seriously worried that he might have fallen of the edge of the planet... Not getting any response for such a long period of time is concerning when I need to do some changes and the only person supporting the software is incommunicado...

Are there any other good alternatives out there to keep the inventories of both BL and BO synced?
  • I see Stargus store is now closed on 2 platforms I ordered from Stargus store Angry Birds when he had a sale, before his store closing as well.
  • What is the standard donation Amount? Do members give a small monthly donation or a one time, or a periodical Donation? I understand someone put a lot of time in this software, and they should be rewarded for such.
  • As of now my store here on Brick Owl is closed and will remain that way till brick sync is properly running again. Without Brick sync it is not possible to keep inventory right.
  • Thanks for the response Hoddie, hopefully vacation is the reason for the wait. I could use a break as well, Brickin ain't easy
  • Stragus his store on BL has been closed for the last 2 months, nothing new there :smile:
    Yes, he is on holiday, going to place where they almost never heard of internet (according to the short mail exchange we had in the beginning of july).
    Yes it's frustrating when you can't get a reg key and go on doing business, I had my store closed for 5 days because of it, but survived :smile:
    So have a few days patience. Or, if you're just over the limit, temp delete some items from your stock and re ad them when you have your reg key (very maybe excluding them from syncing will do the trick)
  • Thanks I will Just wait it out, I have been adding mass amounts of Lego after hitting up Walmart Clearance specials a few weeks ago. I had 3 orders go through with brick sync was down before I caught it, and shut down my brick owl store, It was a pain and hours and hours of fixing my inventory, I just worry when it syncs again it will again mess everything up, Is there a way to completely delete every thing on brick owl and upload a fresh sync once I am registered. I have my Inventory all straight on Brick Link, I really Appreciate the Help.
  • Deleting your BO inventory and running BrickSync will repopulate BrickOwl with your Bricklink inventory. You may have to force a deep sync using the /sync command. But, regularly deleting your BrickOwl inventory is not recommended. It's probably better to keep your BO store closed if you cannot use BrickSync right now.

Or you can do as BasKrie intimated - mark some of your inventory (the new stuff you're adding) with a ~ somewhere in comments or remarks and BrickSync should ignore that inventory. It may still count towards the total that requires you to do the math thingy, but if not, that would be a short-term solution to your problem.
  • I mean, you can always try to do the math problem. With a bit of googling it's usually easy!
  • Same situation here. Sent several emails to stragus on both venues. No response.

Finally after years we get 100% reliable internet (1gig fiber) spent a good chunk on dedicated laptop and battery back up, in case power goes out for days. Now I’m stuck at 247k with a ton of sets to part out.

Is there not a second person involved? Unreal.

Definitely an opening for someone with programming abilities. Just charge for it, no freebies. Free month trial, then pay. Just add a GUI would be nice.
    Without someone in charge sooner or later bricksync will be U/S. All ready missing a color that’s been released months ago.

There was something before bricksync, brickpacker??
  • You might not need Bricksync much longer. Bricklink looks dead on its feet. Leaking staff, customer service non-existent, large store owners openly critical of the platform.
  • Weird I have super high traffic on owl but 80 percent sales are on link.
    owl is like 8x the traffic, hardly no one leaves feedback on owl for me.
    but I like them both
  • I'm guessing that pageviews include every single page view on your store. Bricklink only counts individual visits no matter how many pages they go through on your store.

@graham yes, brickpacker used to be the software to sync, which had a 1% fee or synced orders.
  • I’m guessing brickmanager is dead, after all this time?
    Shame it sounded really good.

Maybe @Stragus should sell the code to another developer? Just a thought.

@Hoddie I don’t see that, for as long as I’ve been doing this, the BL forum has been full of complaints, nothing happens, no one leaves -well I guess I did until a few weeks back. Sales there (since returning) have 9x the volume and $ amount. Unless (many) more customers appear here, I don’t see much change in the status quo
  • Really hoping everyone comes to BrickOwl, @Graham. Wouldn't that be lovely. First time buyers who haven't had a lifetime of learning LEGO and are not code-savvy are really in for it on BrickLink! There are so many non-intuitive hoops to jump.
    When they try to communicate their frustration:
    How can I find a part without becoming an expert in LEGO or knowing the invented extended code for this minifig bodypart? Why did the cart I just made checkout already with "Wait" for invoice, when I just want to know shipping cost?- and is a contract to buy!? Why does my PayPal not work here?, Why can't the AutoBuy feature actually choose the best options for my Want List? Why do the pull-outs to reduce options contain the programmers' language "Expand"?,
    they go to post a question and meet the "responders" on the Forum, or try to contact a Help desk- never mind, "I'll just do the best I can- where else can I buy these LEGO?..."
    The BL catalogue continues to become more and more obtuse- who other than catalogue admins know what the ! and * stand for. Am envisioning a world- yes, a BrickOwl world, where the depth of brick walls is not an issue...
    The only thing we would miss is the inventory listing for sets- now that's above and beyond (because Lego's website only lists what is still currently available) and if BL goes under, well, someone needs to buy that feature!
    Okay that's it for me this week- Always helping our kids navigate that site when needed so maybe hypocritical but just call me a "survivor".
    D
  • I left BL for BO, so at least one seller cut off from BL completely... while I likely have less sales (due to traffic volume), I am a much more relaxed seller since I trust this site and its admin so completely (which he's earned). :)
  • Hey @BrikomaniaES do you know anything more about that brickpacker? The website looks like it hasn't been updated in a long time, and I don't feel very confident about someone who hasn't kept the certificates up to date...

Just had my problem with synchronization yesterday, where a part ended up selling twice because sync failed. I'm pretty sure everything is okay with Bricksync, but I'm having problems with the server I'm running it on, and without @Stragus to update the registration key I'm kind of stuck. Starting to become a bit of a problem...
  • @One_Click_Off
    It would be very nice, however I am dealing with reality. I moved my store to BrickOwl early on 2013, 2014 was my best sales year in all the years of trading. Since then revenue has declined year on year, even with increasing inventory and lower prices.
    The reason must be more stores opening, without the customer base increasing.
    So I am back with “them” and had a major upswing in sales.

I believe what we really need is a combination of BrickLink and BrickOwl, take the best aspects of both. Whilst this is the more friendly venue, it’s seriously lacking in catalogue work, the database being solely tied to LEGO doesn’t help and the fact that the whole venue is pretty much dependent on one person

Then, how to drive traffic here rather than there? that’s really up to admin. I have several domains redirecting here. Not much more I can do.

Now what happens to BL when Nexon are sold that’s a question, perhaps Jay will keep it separate or maybe the sale won’t happen.
  • @Graham
    I have sold on both platforms but find BrickOwl far more palatable to deal with. Bricklink as a company is a mafia, taking their cut while ignoring any and all responsibility. They subject all parties to rules that wouldn't stand even a basic legal test in most jurisdictions, and don't disclose their postal address so that you can't serve them legal papers if it ever came to that. Sure, you may get some business from Bricklink but at what cost? If something goes wrong it could cost you a small fortune and getting Bricklink to help is nigh on impossible. I have open tickets from 4 years ago over there, while here Lawrence answers within hours on almost every occasion.

I honestly get the impression that BL is currently rudderless and staff - those that are left - spend all their time firefighting. While it's true that there's nobody currently promoting BO on Facebook, Instagram, etc. but since Jacklyn left that's all virtually stopped for BL too. The only reason BL are ahead is because they were here first.

For what it's worth, I have re-opened my BL store on occasion and I receive a glut of orders each time because I carry some inventory that is uncommon over there. Sometimes I'm the only one to have that piece. But it's just not worth the hassle for me. The UI is archaic, the feedback system wide open to abuse, and I have to live within BL's straight-jacketed approach to some policies while trying to compete on a very uneven playing field. I have reasonably cheap prices but often find my stuff on pages 2 or 3 of the listings, because too many sellers on BL use unscrupulous methods to push theirs to the top. They reduce their prices by 15% then add a 15% mark-up at checkout on all orders, etc. Some charge PayPal fees even though its illegal for them to do so, but these don't show up in the listings so they gain an advantage over decent, honest sellers.

I've said it a hundred times. BL is like the Wild West with very few, if any, rules that are enforced. And when they are enforced, it's usually because you'd annoyed Admin on the forum. The place is run by kindergarten children in my opinion.

By all means sell on BL but its continued dominance is, in part, thanks to sellers who patronise them with their business, regardless how miserable and lop-sided the platform is for both buyers and sellers.
  • @Hoddie as you said, whenever you open your shop on BL you get "a glut of orders". Some shops (ours included) need every order we can get to make ends meet. It would be nice (and hugely preferable) to be able to just say no to BL, but the reality is that that is simply not an option. Sure, likely because of "(us) sellers who patronize them with their business" we are part of what keeps BL ahead of BO, but we can't afford to be all principal - unfortunately we live "in the now" and have to be pragmatic.

So unless BL goes down the tubes or loses all of its buyers (or if we win the jackpot), our shop will be on both platforms.

Niek.
  • Absolutely, completely understand.
  • @qwertyboy going across both platforms kept me from packing it in completely, I don’t rely on this to support the family, however, with all the hours I put in. I need something to keep it worthwhile.
    The first couple of years here were outstanding, but it’s now down to a trickle, mostly nickel and dime orders with many lots.
    @Hoddie like I said it would be nice to just sell here, that’s been the case (for me) last six years.
    Where did the mojo go? It would be nice to see sitewide stats, ie @Lawrence ‘s view, give a better understanding of the reasons why.
    BL has now forged a working relationship with LEGO group, with the ADP sets, that is something I feel the management here should try and get going also.
  • So @One_Click_Off what do the * and ! signify? Noticed but never thought of asking, now I’m curious!
  • Sorry, @Graham , but now can't find the one facetious reference made in BL Forum chatter that went something like, "and of course everyone knows the * means --- and the ! means -----."
  • edited August 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    This may sound dumb (feel free to ignore me if so!), but have any of the larger sellers that dual platform (BO and BL) considered emailing a few key, regular customers and asking them to try doing their purchase over here? The store pays a slightly lower fee and gets to keep a bit more of their hard-earned money... if everyone let just a few regulars know each week, over time more folks may grow to use and love this site.

Unsure of the appropriateness though, of course. Just throwing an idea out there! I wholeheartedly agree with @graham in terms of interest in forthcoming marketing strategies.

Or maybe this is an opportunity to crowdsource a bit and start up a Slack working group to look at innovative ways to market (led by @lawrence and/or only with his blessing, obviously). I am a firm believer that many brains always beat one brain. :-)
  • well, we all off gone off topic, now haven't we.
    Both sites have pros and cons and I support both of them and they both could do things better and it could also be worse on both of them. Until BL shuts it's doors i will be there I haven't had any problems there, or here really, brick sync is independent problem I am having now, but I can't complain too much as without it, it makes selling on both platforms quite unrealistic. Unless I get brick stock and back up inventory and switch sites every other week, but not sure brick stock recognizes some of the new parts yet either, a lot of this stuff is over my head but brick sync was Awesome when it ran, I should have donated right away I was intending to do so then, But was so busy just setting it up I kinda forgot about it as the time ran and my work load piled up. I spend sun up to sun down everyday since opening so much to do, I still have 2,000lbs of Used lego to sort grade and wash, Keep asking myself when that will happen? New Lego is a full time job. But I am in to deep and over my head to pull out now. i wanted to build some Castle things too, not sure when that happens either? I am a slave to these nickel and dime orders this week.Might have to add the lot limit, but I hate making things complicated, but it might beat spending a hour on a $20 order?
  • @Calibrick I think that may result in a ban from Bricklink. I did ask one customer who went the other way why he/she did and they informed the overall selection and price was better there. Until that shifts we may be stuck, but I do believe the market is growing over here.

Tyson.
  • I think redirecting people off either platform would result in a ban and be frowned upon at the least.
  • Just to clarify the customer moved of their own choice, bought from my store on both platforms. At first I thought I was going crazy, recognizing the name but it was their first order on BL...

Tyson.
  • I certainly don't want anyone banned or risking their livelihood that's for sure - we'll call this my dumb idea of yesterday then! ;-)
  • Hey Cali I just noticed you are on featured stores, how is that determined, and do you get big sales boost?
  • @Bulkbrickvault , when you earn catalog points you can spend them on things like being a featured store. This was my first time doing it, but I am seeing a noticeable bump this week (not a lot, but maybe 10% more then I was the previous weeks).
  • @brickrepository I don't think it's been supported for a long time now.