Postal amazement

I had a larger order to Switzerland last week. Now that I've had a few hundred transactions I'm pretty lax about insurance. Though I am very selective about my ship to countries. I had intended to purchase 3rd party insurance out of my own pocket for this larger order. I let the deadline slip and was ready to wait anxiously for a few weeks hoping the buyer would say all was well. I just went to the USPS website to track the Customs Form number and found all events recorded, right up to delivery. I was impressed that it showed attempted delivery with a pick up card left. It was shown delivered later that day which I would assume was the recipient going to their post office to pick it up.

The level of detail in the tracking history and the fact that all events up to delivery were recorded is amazing. Not because it's not difficult to do electronically, but because I didn't pay extra and it all came from the customs number. No extra tracking included.

General timeline: 2 days to L.A., 3 days to Switzerland, 1 day in Swiss Customs, 6 days total for delivery. Standard FCIP.

Good show, USPS!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Tracking (and insurability) depends on the Country you "ship to" some include "DelCon" others don't.

Sadly to the UK delivery time is very poor (UK customs I think but "DelCon" is not available) all my international shows as going via Miami - generally it takes 5-7 days IN Miami before it even leaves the US!

Not so good this side of the country :(

Altho to couter that, I really like the integration with BrickOwl and as much as I don't wish to say anything nice about PayPal - the integration between PP and USPS is very handy!

Graham
  • The amazing part is that I had thought I would have to go to the SwissPost site to see the second leg of the journey. I realize not every country is as integrated electronically with USPS. Bugger about the UK though.