"Popular store" on home page

What does it take to be considered a popular store on BO homepage? Feedback, most orders, most items sold, top views, etc.

Just curious so I can set a goal :)

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's sorted by store page views.
  • Thank you for the answer.

Much appreciated,
    Chris
  • Oh goody, all I have to do is power press my f5 key a zillion times to make it to the top? Maybe that should be balanced by another metric.

Brian
  • Really? Every time you refresh is another view? Definitely should add cookies or 1 view per IP address. Something because that is wrong.

Actually, I just tested it and when I refresh with both "ctrl r" and "ctrl F5" it does not add views to my shop.

Chris
  • If you have a look around my store, you might find some clues :D
  • Yeah and make sure you check every part category for clues :D
  • It was on pure pageviews previously, its now on other metrics.
  • And what metrics do I have to think of? Just curious...
  • Why do you have "popular stores" at all?

Personally I don't feel it is needed, the inference being sort of "negative" for all the others i.e. the opposite of popular being unpopular.

I really feel you could do a lot more with the home page Lawrence, I mean who wants to know the best selling parts are a technic pin, a 1x2 plate etc?

Or recently added parts (that change every few seconds)?

Wouldn't bother me if you used it for revenue generation somehow (discreetly please)
    OR
    perhaps feature some pics of "nice" MOC's (no favouritism please - drawn at random from those pix submitted)

Or/and a user generated blog -

Or give a link back to Brickset/ Re-Brickable etc with pics, perhaps you could negotiate that referral fee down with something for them there?

Graham
  • I was thinking more of a " featured stores" instead of popular.
    If anyone knows what Etsy.com is, sort of like that. People pay an amount they are willing to spend. Then their items are placed in "featured" locations on the website. In this case it would be the store not items.
    Also, so everything is fair they would rotate between different stores.

Example:
    1. Store decides to spend $10 for that week.
    2. (We will just say 0.01 is one showing of your store) Your store can show a max of 1,000 times.

If a store says they want to spend $100 for a week then they would show up more BUT it is still fair because that does not mean they will show that many times. Yes, they would show more than a person spending $10 but everyone would get their fair share to be shown. So a person is willing to pay up to $100 but they might actually only end up spending $45 because of all the other people fighting for a featured spot.
    I do not know the exact metrics behind everything and I am sure this would be a lot of work on Lawrence's part but to me in the end he would reap the benefits forever once the work is done and everyone can fairly have their store on the homepage.

Chris
    budget-kids.com
  • Don't the stores that advertise tend to be the ones that need the business?

Brian

• My dad sells on Etsy and makes a living their. He sells picture frames. So if a new person comes to etsy and does a search for "picture frames" his store is on the top which is a "featured spot" that he pays for. It is a way to help him stand out from all the other people selling picture frames on the website. He does not need to advertise to survive but like any business he wants the extra sales.
    Also, so he knows his money is being put to work, he can view the number of people that are getting to his store by a featured spot and not from another method, also if they clicked the featured store, and placed an order.

As most know, advertising is my forte! Even if I was someone like "Constructables LLC" the most popular store here on BO. I would still advertise my store on the featured stores section. A new person stumbles upon BO looking for a few parts to buy their child because he/she lost them, or maybe because they need a few extra parts for their child's first MOC. They stumble upon BO, see a few stores at the top of the page who are featured, and click on them. That is the most likely scenario. A person might just go and do a search for the parts and not click on a featured store, but during that search they see they can buy their parts from several different stores and one of them happen to be one they saw on the featured list. They will be more apt to buy from that store more than the others even if it was an extra cent or two.

Only my opinion. I do both print and commercial ads, not e-commerce ads.
    Chris
  • The big business stores that pay the most advertising get more of the business? That is a feature of some other marketplaces yes but I'm not sure that would turn on many of the AFOL sellers here, or elsewhere (who are also buyers). Just my thoughts and I'm one who would be turned off by it both as a seller and buyer as if advertising costs rise, that ultimately just gets passed on to the buyer.
    Robert
  • Two-tier system. Pros pay more, get more. For less, you can get by on less.

about time some Lego reselling site tried it...