Shipping minifigs just by Parcel??

Why is the shipping method for the minifigs in all stores only by parcel? They fit easily in an envelope. Is there a mistake in the shipping system at the moment?

Frank

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited November 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Each store has their own shipping methods, with their own dimensions, we don't specify whether something will fit in a specific package type as that differs by country. It may just be a coincidence based on the stores you have looked at.
    HI Lawrence,

I checked my own store and another Dutch store, in both stores only the parcel shipping method is shown. I've checked it a month ago and then it was allright. You are sure nothing is changed? :-*

Or what has gone wrong in my store? Do you have an idea? What are the default measurements of a minifig? I assume there is a default in the system.

Frank
  • Found it: I had put the minimum order amount in the shipping method to 2 EUR.
  • I've got the same issue, only I don't have a minimum order amount. Can't get minifigs to ship using large letter shipping method ~X(
  • I'm still having the same issue. I thought it was the minimum order amount, but changing this does not solve the problem.
  • Normal mini figures without dimensions are currently assumed to be 30 x 40 x 55mm. If your dimensions limit is greater than that amount, they should be able to be shipped via that shipping method. Let me know if that is not the case.
  • How are you assigning length, width and height to the minifig?

If you lie one down on it's back, which dimension attribute pertains to the distance from the back of its head to the tip of its nose (let's call this the thickness for now). My 'normal' minifigs tend to have a thickness of around 15mm, so they should fit large letter. Obviously there are exceptions to the norm, but I'm thinking that the vast majority should fall within 20mm 'thick'

Also, out of interest, which attribute would be assigned to the dimension from head to toe for the prostrate minifig described above? :)
  • The fallback dimensions that are used when there are no dimensions err very much on the side of safety. If users enter correct dimensions that'll obviously get resolved.

The dimensions are measured with a standing minifigure.
  • Hi Lawrence,

I think the fall-back dimensions are too safe. The maximum height in NL is 32 mm. I do need 3 mm of safety because of the thickness of the packaging materials (letterbox: I do not know if this is the right term in English). All the minifigs fit easily in this letterbox. So in my opinion the fallback measurements can be 29 x 40 x 55mm.

Maybe some more people encounter this problem.

Frank
  • OK - thanks for the clarification. Just to be sure then, for minifig measurements:

Head to toe = length?
    Shoulder to shoulder = width?
    Front to back = height?
  • @steendorp

Would it not be better to just add the dimensions of the figs? If it is a concern, you would have them to do so.

I have a 2 cm limit for envelopes so I could argue for less again.

That said it would be nice to sort for figs that have default dimensions so as not to have to go through double checking everything. Looks like I should go through mine. I have gone through for missing dimensions but not for "defaulted out of my shipping method"

@brickcounter

Admin can say better but my understanding is while constancy would be nice, your list is how I have been doing them, but in the end the system will sort it out properly whatever standard is used.
    Shoulder to shoulder is width. Front to back is length. Head to toe is height. But for shipping it doesn't matter.

Minifigs with big hats, various droids, maxi figs etc are why the dimensions are on the safe side.
  • I finished entering data for all the figs I have listed that were missing dimensions. Changed over to the method mentioned.

I just read close enough to realize this was something "invisible" and not listed dimensions. My comment to search them out makes no sense, easy to find them.

@admin Are there parts other than figs that have a volume assigned to them the same way?
  • Everything in the catalogue has fall-back dimensions that are on the safe side. You can find any of the missing data with a search like this http://brickowl.com/search/catalog?query=lego&show_missing=1&missing_data=11
  • OK. I will look into my inventory to check the dimensions.

It's some work, but nice for a rainy day... :))

Frank
  • Right then, I have been working under the assumption this whole time anything not showing a dimension would fit in our Lettermail and not factor into volume calcs..

It's really really good as it is for most bits for small amounts and fitting properly for shipping methods, but the difference for hundreds of said little bits at once and possible outliers will push this up my priority list.

Only 700 things to go in my inventory, but most of those are the same part in different colours :)

Just to clarify, you only need to submit it for the parent item, it'll then get copied to the colors, and most of the time decorated items too. I think you can filter by a color of Not Applicable to help in your inventory
  • Indeed, my smiley was for "thankfully it is not all 700 and it's wonderfully automated", but I can see that being missed looking back.